Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) now online

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) now online

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 pm

The documentation of the Drumcliff (Ennis) cemetery headstones by members of the Clare Roots Society (CRS) which has just been published on the Clare County Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _ennis.htm is outstanding in a number of respects. It contains both transcriptions and photographs of no less than 1077 headstones which could be deciphered.

The transcription project was based on an up-to-date professional survey of the graveyard commissioned by the CRS team. The resulting grid-referenced map is presented on the Library website in easily browseable and zoomable form with state-of-the-art DejaVu software. The headstone transcriptions are listed by name and headstone location, the latter being keyed to the map. A given headstone transcription can be reached with a single mouseclick and the corresponding photo with another click. The photos can also be searched by deceased's name in the Library's Foto collection. Navigation of the dataset is childsplay.

The whole thing is a superb achievement on the part of the Clare Roots Society team and the Clare County Library. Well worth browsing and searching. Even if you are not looking for an ancestor it provides an example of how to execute a project of this type.

Paddy

P.S. Please excuse the Subject title. The graveyard is not online, of course. It was my best effort at getting the information into the limited number of characters allowed in a title. It is not (yet ?) possible to contact the dead. P.
Last edited by Paddy Casey on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cath m

Re: Drumcliff Old Graveyard (Ennis) now online

Post by cath m » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:53 pm

thanks i just found some gravestones for my spellissy family ,not sure yet which one it is as there is two James Spellissy's that were cattledealers in the 1901 census so dont yet know which one was the father of my Catherine Spellissy as i havent yet managed to find her birth details as yet her son who is now 79 cant remember when she was born ,but i'll keep on looking i'm sure one of the gravestones must belong to the James i am looking for thanks again