re Mines?? near Killaloe or Annacarriga County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

carolyn

re Mines?? near Killaloe or Annacarriga County Clare

Post by carolyn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 pm

re Killaloe: I have a marriage certificate for a John Doyle Ellis and Mary Ann Hurley dated 1870 married in the Church of Ireland which showes the father of the bride,James Hurley of Royal Parade, occupation a Tailor or Tailer. Are there any mines around Annacarriga or Killaloe to try and figure out if he was a person who sewed or a person who mined. Many thanks Carolyn

Lucille

Re: re Mines?? near Killaloe or Annacarriga County Clare

Post by Lucille » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Carolyn

I have that marriage cert in front of me and I read it as tailor as in sewing. That said, there is a slate mine in the locality, at least across Lough Derg on the Tipperary side, at Portroe.

I do think though that James Hurley was a tailor and I made a tentative connection to a James Hurley, tailor, in 1891 in O'Callaghan Mills.
When researching this I was in contact with someone who had found the children of this couple in Australia, emigrating from Ireland in 1876 with children John, Joseph and Juliana. Let me know if this is relevant to you and I'll pass on what else I've got.

Alternatively you may have been following a different line of Hurleys, which I was. "My" Hurleys were Proprietors of the Royal Hotel on Royal Parade in Killaloe, having come from Rosscarbery in Cork to Killaoe about 1830, but I haven't been able to connect in this Mary.

Lucille (Ellis - but there is no connection there either!)

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Thank you so much Lucille, Yes you are perfectly correct. I am following the line of my husbands grandmother who was the babe in arms when John Doyle Ellis and Mary Ann Ellis and children Joseph, John and baby Julieanne came out on the
"Samuel Plimsoll" in 1876. We have very little information on the brothers and the family had about 6 more children after arriving in Australia so any connection details you could provide would be amazing. Also the 1891 info would be great. :D :D
I like to think of James as a Tailor who made clothes and I believe that he would have been referred to as a Miner if he worked in the slate mine but stranger things have happened on certificates. On thing that puzzles me though is they refer to the parish church of Killaloe (Church of Ireland) but would that be the magnificent looking Cathedral. St. Flannans or another church? Really appreciate your kind assistance. Cheers Carolyn.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Thank you so much Lucille, Yes you are perfectly correct. I am following the line of my husbands grandmother who was the babe in arms when John Doyle Ellis and Mary Ann Ellis and children Joseph, John and baby Julieanne came out on the
"Samuel Plimsoll" in 1876. We have very little information on the brothers and the family had about 6 more children after arriving in Australia so any connection details you could provide would be amazing. Also the 1891 info would be great. :D :D
I like to think of James as a Tailor who made clothes and I believe that he would have been referred to as a Miner if he worked in the slate mine but stranger things have happened on certificates. On thing that puzzles me though is they refer to the parish church of Killaloe (Church of Ireland) but would that be the magnificent looking Cathedral. St. Flannans or another church? Really appreciate your kind assistance. Cheers Carolyn.

PS Amazing that your name is Ellis, maybe the Ellis ancestors who were connected way back are smiling on both of us.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 am

Carolyn
I don't have a whole lot that is not speculative but here goes

1. A James Hurley of Anna Neil is married in R.C. chapel in O'Callaghan's Mills to Mary McCormack 17 April 1877. He is given as a "Tradesman" as is his father James Hurley. (I have that marriage cert if you would like a scan)

Anna Neil - see Annaghneal -go to http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nland1.htm for more information

2. There is a James Hurley, tailor, in O'Callaghan's Mills in Ashe's Limerick and Clare Directory 1891 (findmypast)

3. 1901 Census for James Hurley, giving him a date of birth of 1845 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... s/1086475/

4 1911 Census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... se/368923/

My theory was that this James is a brother of Mary. She went to work as a Domestic Servant in Killaloe, which would have been the nearest big town, met John Ellis and married. James Hurley was almost certainly Catholic, as likely was Mary so it would have been a "mixed marriage". The marriage would have been in the Cathedral, but it probably was not a grand affair. You will see on the cert that Thomas Elliott was one of the witnesses (he was the Clerk of the cathedral - http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... orship.htm
though Alexander Mackey Johnson, the other witness, sounds quite grand.

Enough speculation for now!
Lucille

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Carolyn

I wanted to check with my earlier contact before I passed on her information, so I didn't give you this bit earlier.

"I found the couple and their 3 children, John, Joseph and Juliana, in the New South Wales Australia Immigrant Depositors Journal. This was a method whereby Australian residents could deposit funds into an account to aid in the immigration of people to Australia. If the person chose not to emigrate, the depositor got their funds returned to them. In the case of John and Mary, I believe they did emigrate, on the ship Plimsoll, arriving in Australia in August 1876. However, it was not the couple and their children who caught my eye, rather it was the name of the person making the deposit on their behalf, a man by the name of Luke Markby."

also found that Luke's brother, who also wound up in Australia, was married to Eliza Hurley (who died in 1889), but they had no children. However, so far, I have been unable to find their marriage in Australia."

Does the name MARKBY mean anything to you? She thinks that possibly Mary Ellis née Hurley's mother was a Markby, but she has no proof as yet. Eliza Hurley may be a complete coincidence, or not. The Markby family were very definitely Protestant.

I should clarify two things from my earlier post -

John Ellis was probably Protestant which would explain the marriage in the C of I Cathedral.

James Hurley was a tailor in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses.

Lucille

kiwigurl

Post by kiwigurl » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 pm

carolyn wrote:Thank you so much Lucille, Yes you are perfectly correct. I am following the line of my husbands grandmother who was the babe in arms when John Doyle Ellis and Mary Ann Ellis and children Joseph, John and baby Julieanne came out on the

hello hello, i believe i am a relative of your husbands grandmother! my name is Heather Jean Al Qaisi (nee Williams), my mother is Dorothy Diann Ellis, her father is Charles James Ellis, his father is William Ellis, whose father is John Doyle Ellis, arrived in Australia in 1876. my mum has her only sister Aunty Zona May Regan (nee Ellis) living in Newcastle, NSW, Australia, my mother is in Auckland, New Zealand, I have siblings in Australia i would be more than happy to put you in touch with them, please contact me if you would be interested,
thank you so much
Heather

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:15 am

Hi Heather, I would love the information on the relatives who live here in NSW. Thank you so much for getting in touch with me. Really appreciate it. Have a great Christmas and and a Happy New Year. Cheers Carolyn. :lol:

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:19 am

Lucille, I am so sorry that when I replied to you a couple years ago, I neglected to say I would love a scan of the marriage certificate and am now going to try and track down the Luke Markby you mention. I do apologise, I have been caring for a relation with Parkinsons who has since passed a couple months ago and now I can turn my attention to the chasing down of ancestors on both sides. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Many thanks for your kind offer of the scan it is though it is a special Christmas present from above. Cheers Carolyn.