Looking for the family of John and Mary (Murphy) Dunn

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

profcolf

Looking for the family of John and Mary (Murphy) Dunn

Post by profcolf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 pm

I am trying to complete my family history. However, I am missing information about my grandmother's family, the Dunns. I have been told that they were from county Clare. Here is what I know:

John and Mary (Murphy) Dunn had four children whom I know about: John (born around 1847), Michael (my great-grandfather; born around 1853), Rachel (around 1855), and Hannah/Honnorah (around 1857). They all left Ireland for the States by 1880. I do not know if there were other brothers or sisters who stayed behind in Ireland.

Any information at all about them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help you might be able to provide.

Joe Colford
USA

johnmayer

Re: Looking for the family of John and Mary (Murphy) Dunn

Post by johnmayer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

The dates don't exactly match, but John Dunne and Mary Murphy were married in Ennis on August 27, 1859.

There is also one child baptized as follows: James Dunn on April 23, 1862.

http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

murf

Post by murf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi Joe
Just about to tell you the same thing when John's post came up, but I will add this.
If you feel that your dates can't be that far out then we are left with two possibilities. Either this is a huge coincidence, being a different John Dunn and Mary Murphy marriage, or alternatively, perhaps John Dunn was married twice, with the four children you listed being of the first wife.
Hope this helps.
Murf
[Note that the Ennis Parish search engine is pretty inflexible for the spelling has to be exact or it comes up with a nil result. Hence if you leave the "e" off Dunne in the marriage register you will come up empty-handed, similarly if you include an "e" in the baptism register, again you will get zilch.]

profcolf

Post by profcolf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Thank you so much for this information. I will continue to search for them, hoping to find my Michael Dunn's birthplace. He's the last missing piece in my family history. I was in Ennis in 2008 . . . wish I knew then what I know now.

Thanks again . . .

Joe