Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Skyrish2us

Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare

Post by Skyrish2us » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 am

A close relation of mine Mollie FERGUSON who died in Drumdigus in or around 1978 was apparently a "caretaker at the local Primary School". Mollie was unmarried and left no descendants. Is there anyone who has memories of Mollie or can tell me which school she worked at? I would be grateful for any information about her. I think Mollie was born about 1898. Her real name was Mary but she was known to all as Mollie. Mollie had a brother, John known as Jack, who did not marry either. I would be grateful for any information about him also.

Paddy Casey

Re: Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare - Drumdigus school

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 pm

What I would do (unless you have already done it) is phone the school and ask if there is anyone still there who remembers her. The phone number is (065)9053008. Even if the person on the phone doesn't remember her I'll bet they will be able to give you a useful contact.

Paddy

mcreed

Re: Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare

Post by mcreed » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Not much help, but the family seems to be there in the 1901 census for Drumdigus
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... us74_8.htm

Patrick Ferguson (Head of Family), aged 70, Agricultural Labourer, Widower.
Patrick Ferguson (Son), aged 35, Fireman in Creamery, Married.
Margret Ferguson (Daughter-in-law), aged 30, Married.
John Ferguson (Grandson), aged 5.
Mary Ferguson (Granddaughter), aged 3.

Paddy Casey

Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare - Drumdigus NS reunion 31-Ma

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Drumdigus NS is holding a reunion on 31-May-2013 as part of The Gathering (see http://www.thegatheringireland.com/Atte ... x?eid=1349) and the name and phone number of the organiser are published there on the website. Who knows, maybe someone at the reunion will be able to tell you about Mollie Ferguson. Or a call to that phone number might open a lode. For example, the organiser might be able to put you in touch with someone who has signed up for the reunion and is from that period and was told by Mollie Ferguson to tidy up his/her gym shoes and pick up those sandwich wrappers before going home.

Paddy

miriam scahill

Re: Mollie FERGUSON of County Clare

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi - a bit of info on Drumdigus School - it is in the parish of Kilmurry-McMahon - about 8 miles from Kilrush - for church purposes the parish is called 'KILMURRY-CLONDERLAW - as there are two other parishes called Kilmurry in Clare. Local man - Paul Markham, Author & Journalist - has written a book about the Creameries in Clare - Patrick Ferguson is shown as 'Fireman at Creamery' - and I recall hearing about a creamery in the area - at Tarmon, Knock - a few miles away - which was owned by a company called Stokes in the early 1900's - so a drop a line to Paul - c/o of Drumdigus School, Kilmurry-Mc|Mahon, Ennis Co. Clare. You can see photos of St. Mary's Parish Church - go to www.clarelibrary.ie - and under 'FOTO WEB - search for DRUMDIGUS.