Tithe Applotment Books - Researching Casey's of Kilfenora

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

MOD

Tithe Applotment Books - Researching Casey's of Kilfenora

Post by MOD » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to establish from the Tithe Applotment Books who was in occupation of a particular property or parcel of land, as with Griffiths. I am currently researching Casey's in Kilfenora. I have an Anthony Casey listed in Ballybreen & Ballycohy at the Tithes in 1827 and I am trying to establish if he was at Doon Cottage in the Townland of Ballybreen. Doon Cottage and the surrounding land was occupied by the Doorty family by Griffiths. Any help would be appreciated.

Paddy Casey

Re: Tithe Applotment Books - Researching Casey's of Kilfenora

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:21 pm

No, the TABs do not usually go down to the level of a property ("usually" means that occasionally there were notes scribbled in the margins, e.g. the name of a landlord, but they were not systematic). Sometimes the TAB listings identify a wealthy landlord (e.g. Lord Something or the Marquis of Whatever) whose rent books might reveal the name of the property lived in by a given tenant, but the Kilfenora TABs do not list any such landlords.

Since Doon Cottage appears as a substantial collection of buildings in the 1842 Ordnance Survey map (see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/maps/index.htm ) it might be listed in the Ordnance Survey Name Books (on microfilm at the NLI in Dublin and the Clare Library Local Studies Centre in Ennis) with a mention of residents names in the section "Authorities" (the Authorities were the names of the people, usually local residents, who provided information as to the validity and provenance of the place name).

Interestingly, I see that Anthony Casey is listed in the Griffith's as occupying property in the townland of Doon which is adjacent to Ballybreen. In fact, on the 1842 OS map it is not absolutely clear (to me) whether Doon Cottage is in the townland of Ballybreen or that of Doon. Hmmm.

MOD

Re: Tithe Applotment Books - Researching Casey's of Kilfenora

Post by MOD » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you for that information. Doon Cottage is in the townland of Ballybreen (as is Doon Fort), the townland of Doon is next to it, which provided some confusion for a while! Doon Cottage is built on Doon Hill. I have managed to find the old Casey homestead in the townland of Doon (with great help from the current residents of Doon). Hugh Weir's book Houses of Clare, lists Anthony Casey and Michael Casey as residing in Doon Cottage at Griffiths, which was not the case - it was Doortys. I am now thinking that Casey's never lived at Doon Cottage and this was just confusion with the "Doon's"!

There were several families of Casey's living in the village of Kilfenora and in the Kilfenora area from the Tithes to Griffiths (an Anthony Casey, leased the Police Barracks to the Constabulary). Some of those families married into families in the Ennistymon area but the vast majority appear to have emigrated to the US or Australia. We also believe that the Kilfenora Casey's were related to the Casey's in Corofin.

I will certainly have a look into the Ordnance Survey Names Book - many thanks for that.