FLEMING ANCESTORS -1850,S AND SINCE -NEAR TO SHANNON AIRPORT

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

JOHNFLEMING

FLEMING ANCESTORS -1850,S AND SINCE -NEAR TO SHANNON AIRPORT

Post by JOHNFLEMING » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 am

John Fleming -Brisbane Australia.
Family lore has it ~that my great great grandfather owned rural property in the 1850 circa-which was sold to the govt -and later became part of Shannon Airport.Part of the sale proceeds financed the ship travel fares of my great grandfather -whom may have been John Thomas Fleming -and his brother whom may have been Patrick Fleming..They travelled together to Australia in the late 1850,s -early sixties-and worked on the Victorian Goldfields.Some time later-John Fleming -one of the bros.-ventured further -travelling to New Zealand arrival Dunedin-and walked 100 miles inland to work on the Gabriels Gully goldfield ,near Cromwell town in Central Otago.Aparently with some sucess-as he then established a sheep farm at Lauder -just out of Cromwell - married -and raised a family -including John Thomas FLEMING=My grandfather.
I intend to travel to the Shannon region -mid 2013-and am interested to meet and have a yarn with any co-descendents -of my ancestors-and to view historical points of interest.
My investigations ~thus far -have rulled out Honaria FLEMMING [2 "m"s] of CLARECASTLE town -whom owned property in that area.However - there may be a connection with either James Fleming Bally McDonnell Feeholder Clare 1821 Baronry of Tulla OR Connor Fleming abode =Newtown Tulla around this era --- ?
Can anyone point me in the right direction / throw some light- to assist me in my quest-?
I will be gratefull -Cheers ! ::

Lucille

Re: FLEMING ANCESTORS -1850,S AND SINCE -NEAR TO SHANNON AIR

Post by Lucille » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi John

Shannon airport wasn't built until the 1930s - the following website gives the history

http://www.shannonairport.com/gns/about ... rport.aspx

As airplanes hadn't been invented in the 1850s I suspect your family lore may be "what might have been if we had stayed on that land". Your ancestors may have availed of some assisted passage scheme that were reasonably common at that time.

Sorry to knock a really good story!
Lucille

JOHNFLEMING

Post by JOHNFLEMING » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Thank You ~ Lucille ~ The article about Shannon Airport =very informative.
Indeed -I realise there is a 60-70 year space between the circa /era of probable sale of "Fleming farm "--and the NEED - for an airport in Shannon.
The reference to Shannon Airport~ is for geographical location , and as POSSIBLE hint as to John Fleming family -place of abode.-in that time -viz 1850-- 60
Cheers !
John Fleming -Brisbane.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Hello John - Shannon Airport is built in an area called RINEANNA in the Parish of KILCONRY - there is a lot of info on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy page - - under RESEARCH SUPPORT you will see Civil Parish Index and then select No. 75 - Kilconry. Still on Genealogy page - under ONLINE RECORDS you will find 1820-40 TITHE APPLOTMENTS and GRIFFITH VALUATIONS of 1855 - you can look under SURNAME Index - nearest areas would be Quin and Feakle. Mr. John Fleming, Kilrush was a teacher - this would be 40 miles from Shannon. Mr Robert Fleming, Killimer - about 5 miles from Kilrush,

JOHNFLEMING

Post by JOHNFLEMING » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 am

Thank You Mirium , for Yor response.
Yes ! those sites to which you refer- are a wealth of information.
I have been referencing them over the past week.
Cannon Reuben -retired priest parish of Newmarket On Fergus -has also been helpful with this reference.
County Clare Census 1901 -holds about 14 Fleming references
Griffith Valuations 1855 Clare Co-about 7 Fleming references
Applotments Tithes about 16 Fleming entries-including -Parish of Kilrush "occupiers of land on 12/12/1826-JOHN FLEMING and Coughlin"--
Killuran Graveyard Headstone beside Killuran Church ruins
-Bridget BaBa FLEMING and husband John FLEMING -DECEASED -1995 and 2001 -both in their Eighties
Perhaps this entry may spark the living memory of other folks living in these locales; viz; KILCONRY; Clunlogh;Kilamleery;Kilnaraloorah;Drumline ?
Heres hoping So!
CHEERS ! JOHN FLEMING -BRISBANE-OZ