catherine spellissy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

cath m

catherine spellissy

Post by cath m » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:53 pm

hi i'm new here and wondered if somebody could help ,i live in england and i am helping a friend Sean Mcpolin with his family tree ,he was born in 1929 and baptised at st claires church manorhamilton leitrim ,his parents were john mcpolin and Catherine Spellissy he cant remember when she was born but does know she was born in Ennis all he can remember is she died about 1963 ,his father was born about 1906 so for the moment i am looking at her being the same age or younger ,i am hoping they married in ennis as this was her hometown if i could find out when they married i could send for the wedding certificate he was the eldest child so i think it would be late 1920's they married ,he also remembers his grandad was a cattle dealer .I have noticed most of the spellissy names on the internet relate to Co Clare so i was hoping somebody who knows the area could help as i havent a clue so any info or advice would be gratefully appreciated thanks cath

pwaldron

Re: catherine spellissy

Post by pwaldron » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 am

I had a quick look at http://pilot.familysearch.org but cannot find a match for the marriage - there is an entry for Catherine Spellissy in Ennis in the second quarter of 1927, but no matching entry for John McPolin. There are only 10 entries for McPolin in Leitrim, Ireland, all of which appear to be your friend and his siblings, two of whom appear to have had their births registered twice. When you have the year/quarter/name/volume/page/district references for a birth, marriage or death from http://pilot.familysearch.org you can order a photocopy of the relevant certificate from http://www.groireland.ie/

I wonder if Catherine is related to the well-known Ennis writer Sean Spellissy.

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 pm

Cath, there's an interesting quote from Seán Spellissy's book "The Merchants of Ennis" on Joe Nix's Family Genealogy page.

"Notation for SPELLISSY surname prior to 1912:
The SPELLISSY family arrived into Ennis from Tirmaclane in the early 1700's. John Spellissy, a victualler, became a collector in 1768, and was a market juror in 1791. His son, John was a tanner in the meat market, and had a butcher's shop on the site now occupied by Ethel O'Halloran's house on Summerhill. Michael Spellissy was listed as a "convert from popery" in 1775; Malachy, a chandler, was a bailiff in 1791; and Hugh, a tanner, served as a collector, freeman, market juror, overseer, scavenger and serjeant at mace. Hugh had his business premises in Mill Street in 1788, and John was a medical doctor in Jail Street in the same year. Dennis Spellissy was living in Jail Street in 1784, and later served as a grand juror and scavenger in 1809. In 1846 John Spellissy was a butcher in Jail street; John, James and Jeremiah Spellissy kept butcher's stalls in the market; and Eliza Spellissy was a linen draper and haberdasher in Mill Street. In 1893, Christopher Spellissy was a victualler in Mill Street, and Patrick Spellissy was a victualler in Jail Street."

You mention that Sean McPolin's grandad was a cattle dealer. If this grandfather was on his mother's side then it would seem to tie in with the business interests of the Spellissy family in Ennis.
Mike

cath m

Post by cath m » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:44 am

hi
thanks for the replys,didn't get an email to say i had one even though i ticked the box to notify me
pwaldron i had a look at familysearch and put in john mcpolin in a partial search and i got a john james Mcpoland with the same details as catherine in 1927 ,his greatgrandson is named james and he said he was going to be called john so looks like i have found them thanks i will see about ordering the certificate when i get home from work ,i am also wondering if they are related to sean spillessy its his 80th in august might order him one of the books for a birthday pressy thanks ever so much.

mcreed it is interesting about the farming when sean came over to england he bought a farm and still runs the farm with his grandson they breed lambs for slaughter he did at one time have cattle,i will send for the certificate and get back to you my next question was how do i get the certificate but its already been answered thanks