Cess Payers

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Lucille

Cess Payers

Post by Lucille » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi

Can anyone explain the term "Cess Payers" in the context of the following newspaper report (Clare Journal, 10 April 1834)

Grand Jury have nominated the following Cess Payers - Ibrickane (14 names incl.) Edm Shannon, Berry Lodge; James O'Dwyer, Ennis; Cornelius Kenny, Milford; Anthony O'Dwyer, Annagh; James Brew, Annagh; H.Kenny, Cragleigh

I have seen these type of notices frequently in the papers, usually associated with the biannual Assizes. I have always assumed that these people were appointed to collect the cess tax and pass it on to the Grand Jury, but I was challenged on this interpretation recently. I cannot find an explanation in any of the standard books or online.

Any thoughts?

Lucille

Kurt in S.A.

Re: Cess Payers

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi Lucille,

Cess was a local tax which is nowadays called a rate. Grand jury cess was levied to pay for roads, bridges and similar works. There were cess apploters (who decided who was going to pay cess and how much), cess collectors (who collected the cess) and cess payers (who paid it).

For a reading list on the subject enter the following into Google site:http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/ cess

A document of specific interest is http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/1143 ... ges/266479

Paddy

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks Kurt and Paddy for your replies.

Kurt, I had found that Rootsweb page, and the poster was asking exactly the same question I was, but I wasn't impressed with the answers. But at least it shows that it wasn't only Clare newspapers that were using the term.

Paddy, I have read the EPPI document but it seems to only confirm that the people named should have been called collectors, not payers. The names I listed were all strong farmers in the area, undoubtedly liable to cess themselves, but also of a standing to collect the tax from their neighbours. And presumably more than 14 people in Ibrickane would have been liable to pay.

At a later stage, 1850s or 1860s (I can't find the relevant notes) I have cousins Anthony and William O'Dwyer living side by side in Annagh appearing to alternate as "Cess Payer" at successive Assizes.

Lucille

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

It appears from the act to which the other Paddy supplied the link and others available in Google Books, e.g. at
http://books.google.ie/books?id=06ZFAAAAcAAJ ,
that a small number of cess payers, chosen by lot from the cess payers paying the largest amounts, shared power with the magistrates on the Grand Jury. I suspect that the quote posted by Lucille is a list of the cess payers who were members of the Grand Jury.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Except for the Brews they were all related in some way. Cornelius Kenny was Hugh Kennys first cousin first cousin once removed. Anthony O'Dwyer was married to Cornelius Kennys first cousin. Edmond Shannon was a cousin a few ways. I am not sure exactly how but William of Cragleigh Hughs father was married to Pierce Shannons wifes sister and his grandmother was a Shannon. I dont know how James of Ennis was related to Anthony but the local O'Dwyers say all the same family

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I think I have finally sorted the meaning of "Cess Payers" and Paddy Waldron above was correct.

According to the 1833 Act of George 1V one of the duties of the Grand Jury at each Assize was to create a list of those who had paid the highest amount of Grand Jury Cess, but were not Justices of the Peace. The Grand Jury would decide on the number required to assist the Justices and names would be drawn by lot. These Cess Payers could only be associated with levies off their own barony, not off the county at large. All of this to be found at http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/1064 ... ges/236743

These lists of Cess Payers were published in the newspapers and are also in the published books of Grand Jury Presentments. As Cess was paid by Occupiers rather than Landowners these lists could be a good resource of names of the "second level" of people in any given barony.

While helping me to sort this out, Peter Beirne in the Local Studies Centre showed me a short book on local government which may or may not be familiar to you - Virginia Crossman Local Government in Nineteenth-Century Ireland (Belfast: Institute of Irish Studies, 1994)

Lucille

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 am

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ recently added the Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser. If you select "Clare Journal, and Ennis Advertiser" from the dropdown list "Browse by newspaper title" and then enter "cess" you find lists of cess payers (sample attached from 29-Mar-1849) and numerous other newspaper items relating to cess.
Attachments
Cess payers.png
Cess payers.png (165.22 KiB) Viewed 25382 times

matthewmacnamara

Post by matthewmacnamara » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 am

I also have seen these notices in the Limerick Chronicle and Limerick Reporter during the years 1846 to
1850. I have three queries

- were those nominated all stronger farmers?
- did all occupiers of land pay the cess?
- did middlemen pay the cess?