Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

s1nead

Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser

Post by s1nead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 am

Is there a way to access the archives of this newspaper online?
I would like to find the obituaries of my relatives hoping to locate their gravesites ....
I have the dates of their deaths (some death certificates, too) but I do not know where or how to access the records ....
I am also assuming that this is the correct newspaper for family members who had died in Ennistymon in the 1870s and 1890s.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..
Susan in San Diego

dosfromclare

Re: Clare Journal and Ennis Advertiser

Post by dosfromclare » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

There are some extracts in places around the internet, here is an example that may help you .
http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Clare/index.html

I found others with a quick search but other than the paper versions in clare local studies and national library I am not sure if other full scanned archives exist.
Happy Hunting.
Dave

s1nead

Post by s1nead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 pm

OK..... Thanks Dave .....

katrina

Post by katrina » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi Susan,
This will probably not be of help to you in America, but may be of benefit to others who have the same query.
The National Library of Australia holds microfilm copies of Clare Journal newspaper. I was able to borrow some of the films on inter-library loan through my local regional library, and read through them on microfilm reader. It was a laboriously slow process, but did yield me some previously unknown valuable information, so worth it in the long run.
You may be able to check your own library catalogues over there and see if there is anything similar.
Katrina

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Susan

If you are looking for deaths/burials of Ennistimon relatives try these graveyard sites - I hit real paydirt with them

http://interment.net/ireland/clare.htm - there are several cemeteries in the wider Ennistimon area on this list.

It might also be worth posting the names you are looking for, as I for one, have obits of some Ennistimon people, mostly O'Dwyer, but who knows what is floating around in people's miscellaneous files! Your names might also be picked up while someone is searching papers for another reason.

Lucille