John Joseph Markham and Mary Sullivan Markham

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

carolyn

John Joseph Markham and Mary Sullivan Markham

Post by carolyn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 am

John and Mary Markham spelt Marcum in tithe appts l825 with Patt Sullivan farmed 13 and half acres at "Toonagh" Clooney above Quin. They had 5 boys l died in Ireland as a lad, 4 other boys Michael, Patrick,Daniel, Martin came to Australia in l850s and l860s. Martin was born Ennis l843. They also had 3 girls, Bridget came to Australia in l864 on "Wanata" with Martin - Mary and Anne stayed home with parents.
There is inkling Anne married a McNamara. Cant find marriage for John and Mary devout Catholics. A Father Crabb gave Martin a reference in l863 dont know what parish he belonged to. Have all baptism dates for all children but no idea of church. Dont know what happened to John or Mary and where they are buried. There is a John Markham who died in Tulla aged 80, would that fit in Tulla with Quin. There is a thought that there were 5 brothers initially from Kilrush who scattered across County clare in the l820s. There is some connnection (family folklore with Anne Madden who died in l869 marrying a Fecken or Martin Markham and having 5 boys. It is thought that the Derringhuia Markhams may have been one of the brothers. They dont think so.
Hope someone can assist. Much appreciated. :lol: :?:

smcarberry

Re: John Joseph Markham and Mary Sullivan Markham

Post by smcarberry » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Your research will greatly benefit from the Irish civil registrations which just came online via the LDS website. I explain more
about that in response to your other posting. Other than that, you might want to locate Father Crabb's church in 1863,
which can be done by consulting the Catholic Directory for that year. I received a lookup in the 1866 edition for a priest
located in Clare that year, by emailing a Maynooth University librarian in, as I remember it, the John Paul II Library.

Looking on the website today, I see that there is a special library on that campus, for research in non-modern times, the Russell Library. There is an email provided for the chief librarian there, Penelope Woods: penny.woods@nuim.ie
It couldn't hurt to make a short, concise request for a lookup for a Crabb or Crabbe in Clare in 1863. If the library no longer
does lookups, possibly they can direct you to another facility which can do it.

Sharon Carberry
USA

mcdermott

Post by mcdermott » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 am

Last edited by mcdermott on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 am

Thank you for your reply re Mrs. Crotty. If you check the Markhams of Derryguiha website, you will see that they claim Mrs. Crotty as part of their family. I have previously written to Paul Markham with the theory that there were originally 5 brothers one being his Patrick went to Derryguiha, one being our John Joseph went to Toonagh near Quin and one being Andrew- Kilrush, other 2 unknown one could be a James,who fanned out around County Clare in the l800s and the families of the brothers all immigrated to Australia or to America and he is the patriachial head of the Markhams left in Ireland. Paul has not directly answered this query. The great grandad was supposed to be Fecken or Daniel. Still looking for John Joseph Markham and his wife Mary Sullivan Markham who disappeared around the time their sons went to australia. There were 3 daughters left at home
Bridget who may have married a Michael OBrien, Mary and Anne. :?:

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Michael O'Brien of Creegh South married Bridget Markham shortly before the start of civil registration in 1864. Bridget appears as a widow in the 1901 census living with three sons in Creegh South; see http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... h82_11.htm

Bridget was the daughter of Thomas Markham and Mary O'Donnell (daughter of Michael O'Donnell of Moanmore), who were married in Kilrush on 28 Feb 1835.

I have extensive information on the descendants of Bridget and those of her sister Ellen or Eliza Markham, who married Thomas Houlihan of Killard in Creegh on 12 Feb 1870.

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Thank you so much for you answer on your Bridget. Our Bridget was the daughter of John Joseph Markham and Mary sullivan Markham who farmed 13and half acres at toonagh near Quin above clooney. She was born in l843 or round about. At least that eliminates my theory and info that she married Michael OBrien. why did they not call their children a variety of names not just the l0 standard Irish christian names and would make so much easier for the descendants. Many thanks Carolyn still looking for a Bridget Markham born l843 and her sisters Mary and Anne.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:21 am

Once you get used to the standard Irish naming patterns (e.g. first two girls after their grandmothers, third girl after her mother; first two boys after their grandfathers; third boy after his father), the repetition of names actually makes things easier, not harder!

carolyn

Post by carolyn » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 am

Of course, silly me. I suppose it is a way of paying tribute to the ancestors. Have to get used to these Irish customs and long held beliefs. Kind regards :D