County Clare Placename - Deciphering Handwriting

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Suzie_Australia

County Clare Placename - Deciphering Handwriting

Post by Suzie_Australia » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

Hi

I have a shipping passenger list of hopefully one of my ancestors but having difficulty deciphering the County Clare place name. I have attached a copy of the record if you can help with this.

Passenger: Bridget Mungovi(a)n
Ship: China
Arrived in Australia: 1854
Passenger Type: Assisted/Bounty Passenger

I have checked through the parish maps, etc on various websites, but just can get the place name. If I can get the place name this may narrow down my search for my County Clare Mungovan ancestors.

Thank you and regards
Suzanne
Attachments
Bridget Mungovan_Passenger Ship China arr 1854.jpg
Extract of Shipping Record
Bridget Mungovan_Passenger Ship China arr 1854.jpg (117.09 KiB) Viewed 15310 times

pwaldron

Re: County Clare Placename - Deciphering Handwriting

Post by pwaldron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I cannot recognise the placename, but it looks the same as that given by Bridget Lynch on the first line of your extract. If there were other Clare people on the ship, perhaps you might find that there was a larger group travelling from some part of the county.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:00 pm

There is a possibility that this Mungovan emigrant named her civil parish rather than her townland. My Clare-born family in Montreal, Canada, did that when providing information for a parish death record in early January, 1855. The spelling was unrecognizable, as their Clare parish of Clonlea was written as Glenlear.

I see the placename in this 1854 Australian record as being written Killrathish. The problem seems to be the inclusion of the letter "h" twice over, but that is understandable given how many Irish placenames are in fact spelled with an "h" or two and the fact that the actual civil parish name of Kilraghtis has one as well.

Hope that helps.

Sharon Carberry
USA

Suzie_Australia

Post by Suzie_Australia » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

Dear All,

Thank you Sharon for your interpretations on the spelling. As a starting point I checked out the placename "Kilraghtis" and spelling of such.

In Griffiths Valuation for the Parish Kilgrahtis, Town of Carrowdotia, I found some Mungovans, may be them, may not be. So I continued searching and found the 1659 Census of Clare on the clarelibrary.ie website and found the spelling of Kilraghtis in 1659 was splet "Killraghtrish".

I know from various certificates that I have that my Mungovan family came from Ennis, so I wonder if this could be the place that is written on the shipping record?

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Regards,
Suzanne

vabre

Post by vabre » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Suzzane
I know it is some time since you posted your request but today is the first day I had noticed it.
I thought I would follow up Bridget's sister, Mary, who had arrived into NSW previously and found the following from her passenger list.

Mary Mungovin arrived in Feb. 1853 on the "Beejapore".
She was from Kilrath, County Clare.
Hope this helps.

John...Sydney

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:22 pm

We have quite a lot of research on Mungovan from Ennis and Magowna/Inch. Bridget was a real name in the Mungovans.
I dont think this is the same family though maybe, what did Bridget do according to the ships record ?

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... is1837.htm

This is actually where the Mungovans were originally from. I am pretty sure that is a different family than mine

rgds

Margaret

Suzie_Australia

Post by Suzie_Australia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 am

Thank you all. I am sure that they are all related somehow, and seem to be from around the same area. I will get out my maps and take a peak at the geography. Cheers