Taaffe of Drumcavin and Erinagh

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

mgallery

Taaffe of Drumcavin and Erinagh

Post by mgallery » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 am

Clare Journal 19 November 1877
On the 13 inst. at Dysart Church by the Rev. R. Fitzgerald PP and assisted by Revs Father O'Kelly and Father White O.S.F. David Gallery Esq. second son of the late Edward Gallery Esq. , Ballybeg, Co. Clare, to Mary A. Taaffe eldest daughter of the late Martin Taaffe Esq. Errinagh and Drumcavis (?)

Martin Taaffe of Eririnagh and Drumcavin was my gt gt grandfather. Minnie was his daughter, she had at least one brother called Joseph who emigrated to New York and a sister Helena who married Hehir. Her daughter Fannie married Hinchy and lived in Glin. Up till lately my elderly aunt was in contact with them.
Family stories say there was another brother the father of Pat Taaffe who rode Arkle, who ran away to be a stable hand and was disinherited. I have spoken to Father Pat Taaffe who is of the Tubber Taaffes who tells me that the Drumcavin and Erinagh tell the same story. (The racing Taaffes say they are from Louth, I have asked them).
I see some posts on ancestry who say the Taaffes have done their family history, if so I would love to get in touch. We have not researched as such what we have has just turned up while we were looking a the Gallerys. We do know that the Taaffes were in some way related to the Kerins of Ballyallia and that the Kerins from the Ennis pub were distant cousins

If anyone knows anymore would be great to talk to them

marygleeson

Re: Taaffe of Drumcavin and Erinagh

Post by marygleeson » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi

Perhaps you would like to let your New York cousin know of a great gathering in August - have a look at www.hometoclare.com - We would love to feature their story and a photo if you have figured it all out by now.

Best regards

Mary

mgleeson@oldgroundhotel.ie

mgallery

Re: Taaffe of Drumcavin and Erinagh

Post by mgallery » Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Has this answer any relevance to my thread ? or is it just a wish to advertise the Old Grounds gathering. If so why not put it up as a thread?