Army Enlistments in Kilrush

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Lyn Russell

Army Enlistments in Kilrush

Post by Lyn Russell » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello again I have just found out that my Dad enlisted in to the army in Kilrush in 1935.I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there was an army camp or an army barracks there and if it is still in existance..Many thanks for any help given Lyn

Lucille

Re: Army Enlistments in Kilrush

Post by Lucille » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi Lyn

I don't know the answer to your question but this website might help http://www.military.ie/info-centre/military-archives - they mention family history!

Lucille

Polycarp

Post by Polycarp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Lyn,

Note also that the Old Military Barracks in Ennis was located on the Kilrush Road, Ennis.

Possibly this might be the reference to Kilrush.

Polycarp

mick o

Post by mick o » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:31 pm

hello lyn,
old army barracks in lahinch by the golf course still in use by the irish army
regards mo

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi Lyn = there was an old Army Barracks at Cappa - about a mile from Kilrush - but it was not used since 1920's - only a tower left now - holidays home built there. Your Dad would have enlisted in Kilrush but would have gone to either Limerick or Cork barracks. There was a part of the army - local defence force - known as FCA in Kilrush - and it possibly had an office for enrolment. However - there were 'marines' based at another location at Cappa. Perhaps you might get info from Dept. of Defence. - based at Curragh Camp, Kildare, Co. Kildare.
Did you see the photos - Murphy/Hynes Collection, Kilkee - on the Clare Library FOTO Web page ??

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Lyn - I am back again !! I see from the website posted by Lucille above that the Archives Address for the army is : Officer in Charge, Military Archives, Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines, Dublin 6. You might get some info there as to what army barracks your Dad was in. Miriam.

Lyn Russell

Post by Lyn Russell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me with the search for the army barracks in the Kilrush area and all the advice as to where I can look for more information Lyn