DUFF & DOWLING - Ravine Hotel, Lisdoonvarna

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

krisduf70

DUFF & DOWLING - Ravine Hotel, Lisdoonvarna

Post by krisduf70 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:04 pm

I'm looking at a photograph of the Ravine Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, circa 1880-1914, on the library Website, reference 00002381.jpg. The lady at the centre, just under the window blind is, I believe, my Great-Aunt Kate (Kathleen?) Duff. The lady to her left by the door is, I believe, her friend and business partner Margaret Dowling. Can anyone confirm this?

Our Duff Family Lore tells us that at the turn of the 20th century Great-Aunt Kate and her friend ran a hotel in Lisdoonvarna, which was not a great success. Guy's Directory 1893 shows Miss Duff listed as a grocer and vintner. The 1901 census shows Margaret Dowling as a shopkeeper, spirits and groceries, but no Kate Duff. We know Miss Dowling died in 1908.

The above photograph shows the shop as part of the hotel building. I have been told the Ravine Hotel was more a boarding house. It is possible the two ladies were running the boarding house and the shop. Can anyone confirm this? When did the two ladies arrive in Lisdoonvarna?

Great-Aunt Kate may have been visiting family in Limerick when she went missing at the 1901 census. After Miss Dowling died in 1908, we know Kate went to live with her half-sister Agnes and huband Francis Fahy in London at around this time. Can anyone add to this?

Chris Duff