Where are Clonolman and Knocknagechs?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

intensekfc

Where are Clonolman and Knocknagechs?

Post by intensekfc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Hello,

With further research, I have found out where both my great-grandparents were born. My grandmother, Delia Bridget Linnane born January 27, 1902 in Knocknagechs and John Coffey born on April 18, 1903 in Clonolman.

Where are Clonolman and Knocknagechs located? I know my great-grandmother was raised in a house in Clare County. I am trying to find where this is so I am wondering if this helps locate it any more.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kyle Coffey

smcarberry

Re: Where are Clonolman and Knocknagechs?

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Kyle,

That extra research was essential. I show below a quick outline of what appears to match the birth years and places just posted for your Linnane and Coffey ancestors. If these are indeed the right families, then the census data points to a lot of additional research that can be done to get you back more generations quickly. Note that the ages of people vary considerably between the 1901 and 1911 censuses, so it is apparent that sometimes ages shown are approximate, not actual.

Sharon Carberry USA

John Coffee
registration district: Killadysert
event type: BIRTHS
registration quarter, year: Apr - Jun 1903, volume 4, page 235
LDS film 101069

IreAtlas:
Clooncolman civil parish of Clondagad, Killadysert PLU

1911 Clare census:
John Coffey, age 6, grandson of Patrick McMahon, Dehomad, Clondagad

Bridget Linnane
registration district: Tulla
registration quarter, year: Jan - Mar 1902,volume 4, page 440
LDS film 101069

IreAtlas:
Knocknageeha, civil parish of Feakle, Tulla PLU

For full census listings, use this site:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

1901 Knocknaguha, Killanenna
Patrick Linnane 40, wife Mary, sole child James 4 months
and other relatives

1911 Knocknageeha, Killanena
Linnane Patrick 53
Linnane Mary 37
Linnane James 11
Linnane Delia 10
Linnane Margaret 8
and younger children

intensekfc

Post by intensekfc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:55 pm

This is unbelievable...

This is exactly what I have been finding as well. My sole mission in the next 3 weeks before I head to Ireland was to find where my great-grandmother's childhood home is. We know it is still standing.

What I didn't expect is to start tracing my great-grandfather's side yet. This is incredible and emotional!

Another trip soon to come to trace his roots!

You seem to have more access to records - is there any database available you can point me to or look for me for their marriage record? They may or may not have been married in Ireland. They emigrated through Ellis Island and their records say single but I just want to make sure it wasn't an overstep in NY.

Thanks so much!

Kyle

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:36 pm

From the below records, it appears that the marriage was in the U.S. Also, Familysearch.org didn't produce any record to counter that. Unfortunately the 1940 census didn't require providing years of a marriage.

S. Carberry

Marriage of John Coffey, Manhattan NY, to Della Linnane May 8, 1932

1940 NY Bronx Co., 333 East 150th St.
Coffey
John 37 Eire Ireland works for coal company
Dela 38 Eire Ireland
Francis 7 NY
Mary C. 1 NY

I am not readily finding Della in 1930, although there is a Mary Linnane as a boarder in the Bronx, with another boarder named Delia Moroney so possibly she used her middle name to avoid confusion.

You might pick up another set of relatives if this is your John in 1930:
Manhattan
Patrick Kitson 30 Irish Free State
wife Nellie 28 Irish Free State
son Michael 3 NY
son Patrick 1 NY
daughter Mary 0 NY
nephew John Coffeey 25 Ireland, img'd 1928

I can't provide the full census listing, as that is not provided on Familysearch.org, although other census databases do have it.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Regarding the 1930 Kitson family census listing that I posted, I just read today that an attorney named Kitson is representing a man injured on the grounds of a Catholic church at Newburgh NY. The name Kitson is rare enough in the lower Hudson Valley that you could contact that attorney (likely found easily in a phone directory) and inquire about his family's relationship to the Kitsons shown in 1930 and their evident relationship to a Coffey that may be yours. That inquiry can wait until your return from Clare. Good luck with that.

Sharon Carberry
former longtime Hudson Valley resident

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:02 am

John Coffey immigrated into New York, on board the President Harding on September 28, 1928. He lists his nearest relative in the country he departed from as his mother Mrs. Coffey of Clonolman, Ballynacally, Co. Clare Ireland. His final destination is that of his sister Catherine Coffey at 418 W. 57th or 87th St. New York City.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:12 am

Sharon,

Ironically I recently posted a question on the Kitson's and Moroney's. It maybe a coincidence but My great grandmother Bridget Moroney born in Cloongowna, Inagh Parish, had a sister named Ellen. Ellen Moroney (b. 1858) married John Lyons and lived in Lickaun, Templemaley. Their daughter Hanora married Martin Kitson. I don't know much about any family that may have immigrated, but it's interesting that both Moroney and Kitson appear in the same timeframe in New York.

intensekfc

Post by intensekfc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 pm

John,

Where did you get that information about John Coffey?

Kyle

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:40 pm

John, that info makes a good addition to this growing collection of Coffey data. Keeping an eye out for surnames of the original Clare area is a legitimate way to sort through the many individuals in an urban area like NYC, to find the actual target person. For example, see the 1940 Hackensack census below. My quick survey didn't result in a likely Cathrine Coffee in either the 1925 NYS census or the 1930 federal census for NY or NJ. She may well have arrived after 1924, and I don't have at home Ancestry.com's database for post-1824 arrivals, so finding her in that or in a marriages database might better pinpoint where she was in 1930.

In any case, Kyle, here below is something for research at the Clare library during your visit next month. I would find Michael Coffey's obituary first (his death registration record elsewhere can be obtained in person if desired) and then viewing the involved parish film (at the library) should be productive for earlier years. A trip to the cemetery is also likely possible, and that may lead to finding living descendants of John Coffey's siblings, although another trip back to the library may be necessary after noting death dates on gravestones, to locate more obituaries. The December visit could be a very busy one, and that will make up for the cool, wet weather.

Sharon C.

1911 Clooncolman, Clondagad
Coffee
Frank 47 RC farmer
Mary Anne 31 married 9 years, 5 children born, 5 living
Maggie 6
Michael 4
Katty 3
Mary Anne 1

1901 Cloncolman, Clondagad
Coffey
Michl 78 RC farmer b. Clare
Francis 32 son, single, farm laborer
Bridget 28 daughter, single
Patrick 26 son, single

Michael Coffee
registration district: Killadysert
event: DEATHS
registration quarter, year: Oct - Dec 1908, volume 4, page 179
estimated birth year: 1825 age (at death): 83
LDS film 0101604

Catherine Coffee
regis district: Killadysert
registration quarter, year: Oct - Dec 1908, volume 4, page 232
LDS film 101072

1940 NJ Bergen Co., Hackensack
Frederick T Fisher 72 NY
Adele S Fisher 70 NY wife
chambermaid Katherine Clancy 34 Irish Free State
cook Katherine COFFEY 33 Irish Free State
waitress Bessie Crowe 40 Irish Free State

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

The attached images show the ship manifest form th President Harding. The information is contained on line 16 on each page.
Attachments
Coffey2.jpg
Coffey2.jpg (804.85 KiB) Viewed 27143 times
Coffey.jpg
Coffey.jpg (881.62 KiB) Viewed 27143 times

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 am

Coffey 1911.pdf
(568 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
OK, so we know John arrived in 1928 to his sister Catherine in New York. At 25, that would put his birth about 1903.

I checked on Catherine's immigration and found that she arrived in New York on November 14, 1925 onboard the Republic. She lists her nearest relative in ireland as Mrs. mary Coffey of Ballynaskilly, Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland. Her final destination is the home of her sister Margaret Coffey at 48 Moylan Place, in New York City.

That meant that I had to locate immigration records befor 1925 for Margaret Coffey. I found Margaret Coffey immigrated to New York, onboard the Republic, on October 3, 1924. Her final destination was the home of her Aunt. Mrs. Ellen McMahon at 170 W. 59th St. in New York City.

Now to bring the whole picture full circle, I looked for an eight year old John Coffey in the 1911 Clare census and found the attached living in Clondegad. Notcie the Ellen McMahon and John Coffey connection is confirmed and Ellen would be his Aunt.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

John,

It's good to see that the Ellis Island arrivals support the conclusion I reached with my initial quick survey, reported in the first posting in reply to Kyle's question about his mystery place names. I'll see if I can go back and correct the age I listed for John Coffey in the McMahon household at Dehomad, Clondagad, as it is in fact age 8, not 6. I also now have the first name of the NYS attorney named Kitson involved with a current lawsuit, publicized so that I saw it: Kevin Kitson, likely somewhere in the Newburgh area.

You may want to divulge the source of the post-1924 Ellis Island arrivals, as that was Kyle's question posted here. I believe it is Ancestry.com.

It's great to see how readily some very good material and conclusions can be reached with online resources. Kyle should be pleased that two of us responded so quickly, so that he can do planning for on-ground research when in Clare soon.

Regards,
Sharon C.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Sharon,

Agreed! I think Kyle is on the track now. The sources for all three immigration records was indeed Ancestry.com.

John

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi all - The Church at Ballynacally is in the parish of Clondegad - - which includes Clooncolman - -
and to confuse matters - Ballynacally is in the Parish of Kilchreest. !!! it is located on the inlet of Fergus River - south of Ennis - on the Killadysert road. To see lots of info - log on to www.clarelibrary.ie and open Genealogy & Family History - then Research Support on bottom right - select 'Civil Parish Index - and then select 'Clondegad - No. 46 - or Kilchreest No. 63 - lots of photos and documents. Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Miriam, that's a valuable observation for Kyle's research purposes and very timely posted. It helps the effort to stay on track and not get confused, very essential for someone just starting a family history project.

Somewhat similarly, when I first saw the Ellis Island arrival info posted by John, I had to double check that Clare was shown as the county for the location there spelled as Ballinascally (properly Ballynacally). It was, and in fact Clondagad was also listed, which nailed it down as a Clare location. However, the next passenger was shown as being from Clonakilty, which also has in its jurisdiction a place spelled Ballinascarry, close enough to be a candidate for Ballinascally on the ship manifest.

Sharon C.