Clune, Dixon, Laydon

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

oromai

Clune, Dixon, Laydon

Post by oromai » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am

Does anyone in County Clare have any insights into the identities of the people below. These two notices were placed in the Akaroa Mail in New Zealand by my great great grandmother, the redoubtable and irrepressible Mary Teresa Clune (Brough) who was born in Clare (we believe) and journeyed from the Emerald Isle to the grey gloom of Wigan and then into the bright light of New Zealand while still a girl.

Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, 13 June 1879
1) MARY LAYDON, daughter of Richard Laydon, last heard of at Geelong, Victoria, is requested to communicate with Mary Brough, Akaroa. M. BROUGH.
2) SHOULD this meet the eye of Susan O'Toole or Michael O'Toole, late of Maori Gully, near Greymouth, [NZ] they are requested to forward their address to Mrs Dixon of Inagh; County Clare, Ireland; to Mrs Matthias Clune, Lancashire, England; or to the Mail Office, Akaroa.

I suspect that these are either Clune relatives or relatives of Mary's mother, Bridget nee Leyland (or was it Laydon?) (Mrs Matthias Clune in the notice above.)

Slainte!
Jeff Saunders

johnmayer

Re: Clune, Dixon, Laydon

Post by johnmayer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Jeff,

Mathias Clune and Bridget Leyden were married in Kilmaley Church on March 3, 1835. Kilmaley is a neighboring parish to Inagh. In the 1901 Census in Cloonanaha, Inagh, there is a Daniel (47) and Mary McGuane (52) listed. There are two stepsons present Richard Dixon 19, and Michael Dixon 18. There are two children Martin McGuane 12 and Susie McGuane 8.

Cloonanaha is on the Inagh, Kilmaley border.

This could be the Mrs. Dixon mentioned in you post. Judging by the ages of the children, it would appear she remarried around 1888 or 1889. Could the request in 1879 in the paper be to notify the family of the death of her husband? Just a thought.

John

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 am

The Leyden/Leadon/Leydon's of Drimanure would likely be who you are looking for. The townland of Drimanure straddles the Inagh/Kilmaley Parish borders and abuts Cloonanaha.

THE LEYDEN’S OF DRIMANURE, KILLANIV

The Leyden family of Drimaure can be traced back to the 1826 Tithe Applotments. At that time Richard Leaden was list as residing in the townland.

Richard Leaden also appears in the 1855 Griffith’s Valuation. He is renting three small parcels totaling approximately 15 acres of land, from Stafford O’Brien. The land contains a house and offices.

Richard Leyden and Mary ???
Richard Leyden and his wife Mary (unknown maiden name) were likely married prior to 1870. They had at least three children as identified in the 1901 census. Richard died sometime prior to 1901.

1901 Census of Drimanure, Killaniv
Leyden Mary Head 70
Leyden Richard Son 30
Leyden Michael Son 28
Leyden Norah Daughter 26

Richard Leyden and Bridget Meany
Richard Leyden and Bridget Meany were married in late 1901 or early 1902. They had at least seven children. Here are the Baptism records for some of those children:
• Mary Leyden was born on November 27, 1902 (James Meany and Margaret Meany)
• Margaret Leyden was born April 25, 1905 (John Howard and Ellen Meany)
• Norah Leyden was born May 20, 1906 (John Darcy and Mary A. Howard)
• Richard Leyden was born May 13, 1908 (James Howard and Mary Leary)
• Bridget Leyden was born June 27, 1909 (Pate Keane and Delia Howard)

1911 Census of Drimaniure, Killaniv, House Number 6
Leyden Richard 44 Male
Leyden Bridget 43 Female
Leyden Mary 8 Female
Leyden Catherine 7 Female
Leyden Margaret 6 Female
Leyden Nora 5 Female
Leyden Richard 3 Male
Leyden Delia 2 Female

• John Thomas Leyden was born November 29, 1915 (Margaret Leyden)

Michael Leyden immigrated to New York, on the SS. Baltic, on May 10, 1913. His final destination was Mr. John Donnelly at 244 13th St., Jersey City, New Jersey. He married Kate Burke of Drimanure in Kilmaley Church, on January 28, 1923.

Mary Leyden immigrated to New York, on October 21, 1924, on the SS. Aurania. Her final destination was her aunt Mrs. D. Flaherty at 507 Grove St., in Jersey City, New Jersey.

oromai

Post by oromai » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 am

Wow - thank John - I am not sure yet how all this fits but it sure looks like some kind of fit! Especial thanks for the information re the marriage of Matthias Clune and Brdiget Leyden! I am however a little worried about the date - according to the death notice his daughter posted in the NZ paper in 1879:
"Clune - On the 6th March, at Wigan, Lancashire, England, Matthias Clune, farmer, of Ennistymon, County Clare, Ireland; afterwards a butcher; the beloved father of Mrs Mary Brough, of Akaroa. Aged 57 years. .......

The 1871 Census of Wigan gives both Matthew and Bridget's age as 50.

...it would seem he was born about 1821 / 1822 - 1835 would seem too early for their marriage. Is it possible that he was married really young? Bridget would have been even younger! Is it possible that your date is ten years out? 1845?

Also can you tell me where you got the information from?

Many many thanks
Jeff Saunders
Auckland, NZ

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Jeff,

There were seven Clune marriages married in Kilmaley Parish between 1829 and 1900. This list was published in the Kilmaley magazine in 1997. I checked again and Mathias and Bridget Leyden were married in 1835. I wouldn't put too much concern into the dates and ages. As an example when you compare individuals in the 1901 and 1911 census, you regularly see a fourteen year difference in age.

The Clune family is still present in Kilmaley. Additionally the mother of the late Archbishop Clune of Perth, Australia, was Lynch from Kilmaley.

John

oromai

Post by oromai » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:40 am

I thought that ages might be a little elastic - the names certainly look like 'mine' and once again thanks for the information.