Flanagan/Russell/Manning from Sixmilebridge.

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pgrazini

Flanagan/Russell/Manning from Sixmilebridge.

Post by pgrazini » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm

My GGGrandmother was born in Sixmilebridge on Dec 20 1842. Her name was Mary Ann Flanagan. Mary Ann's mothers surname was Russell. She left Ireland in about the mid 1850's and lived in New York. Mary Ann married
Luke Manning. I don't know if she married before she left Ireland, or after arriving in New York.
Any information about her or family would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!
Patty
Seattle

M. McNamara

Re: Flanagan/Russell/Manning from Sixmilebridge.

Post by M. McNamara » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:02 pm

1 family of Flanagans and 3 of Mannings were living in Sixmilebridge area in c. 1850, according to Griffith's Valuation. (As an aside, since Manning is an unusal name in Co. Clare, these 3 families were probably related). The Mannings and Flanagans lived within a half mile of each other, so they would have been aquainted. In the 1901 census, both names again appear. Today, there are no Flanagans and 1 family of Mannings in Sixmilebridge.

In relation to your GGGM's marriage to Luke Manning; if she was born in 1842, she would have been ~13 when she went to the US, so it is unlikely she married in Ireland. I suggest you try the marriage records in the USA.

Personally, I don't have any details of either family but I have spoken to a local whose mother was a Manning and who has some Manning family papers. I will pursue this and let you know. I will find out where the Flanagan family farm was and I will talk to the present owner to see if we can make a connection with your family. Could you provide me with any more details of your GGGM? Husband's first name, siblings' names etc. Also, at age 13, she must have emigrated with older people, so if there is any family stories of her emigration please let me know.

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Mary Ann Flanagan was my GGGrand-mother also. I don't have a date of birth for her, but her death announcement states that she died on July 31, 1884 at the age of 41 years, 8 months and 13 days. I know that her mother's name was Mary Russell but do not have a first name for her father. From what my mother has told me, she and my GGGrand-father, Luke Manning, knew each other in Sixmilebridge, but did not marry until they were in New York City.

I haven't been able to find marriage records as of yet since the Catholic Diocese of NYC does not have records from that time in a central location. I know that in 1856 Luke lived at 1 Broadway and that he and Mary Ann went "round the horn" by ship to Portland, Oregon most likely in 1859. So I am trying to locate any/all Irish Catholic churches near that address and will try to contact each one individually to see if there are any records of their marriage between 1856-1859. Marriage Records for each county were not required in New York State until 1908, so the only records would be with the church.

Luke Manning was born in April, 1840 in Sixmilebridge. The only information about his parents that I have comes from his bank account at the Emigrant Savings Bank in NYC. According to the test book, he emigrated in 1849, leaving from Liverpool on the ship Washington. In 1856 (when he opened the bank account), it listed his father, Patrick, as living in Brooklyn and his mother, Kate, as deceased. He had two brothers, James and Patrick, living in NYC--meaning Manhattan. (Brooklyn at that time was a separate city. It did not become part of NYC until 1898.) I do know that James later lived in San Francisco, as Luke's funeral was held at James's home. (Luke died on October 29, 1864, at the age of 24. He died of internal injuries to due an accident with a horse and wagon in Portland, Oregon. He, his wife (Mary Ann Flanagan), and his two children were on board the ship, The Brother Joseph, when he died. The captain of the vessel was a friend of his and hid the body until they arrived at the port in San Francisco, so he would not have to be buried at sea).

I know that's not a lot of information, but hopefully it will help. Patty and I would love to find any information about our family.

Thanks and regards,

Lauri
NYC

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks for that message. Both Mary Anne & Luke certainly had short incident-filled lives.
Unfortunately on the day of my first reply above, a Mrs Manning here in Sixmilebridge died in her 80s. She was one of the people I had planned on visiting. I spoke to neighbours after the funeral who said that there were cousins in Australia but did not know of any connection in the USA. The Luke forename did not trigger any memories.
I have discovered another Manning family in the adjoining parish to Sixmilebridge. I shall continue on this.
I have nothing to report on the Flanagan side. There are also Russells here in Sixmilebridge. I also plan to access Sixmilebridge birth records for the period.

I don't know how to access shipping records from Liverpool. Perhaps some other readers could help.

pgrazini

Post by pgrazini » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Thank you so much in advance. It would be great to solve this mystery. Lauri and I are excited to hear anything that might be of help.
Lauri is the real expert in this branch of the family. so I contacted her after your first post.
I am sorry to hear of Mrs. Mannings passing. It was so nice of you to inquire.
Thanks again Patty

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 pm

I, too, would like to extend condolences to the Manning family and wanted to add my thanks for all of your help.

I have accessed some Liverpool shipping records and have found a ship named Washington that sailed from Dublin to NYC in 1849. No Mannings were listed as passengers on that ship, though. I've tried searching in 1848, 1849, and 1850 for any ship from either Ireland or England to NYC, but so far, no luck. I'm not sure if the last name would be Manning, Mannion or some other variation.

I've asked my Mother to see if she can remember anything else about the Flanagans, Mannings or Russells and will let you know if she has any more info.

Regards,

Lauri

murf

Post by murf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:47 am

This may be irrelevant to your search, but I have a Mannion family of ancestors that emigrated to Australia in 1854 from the Lorrha area of Tipperary North. Apparently the Mannions are prominent in that area. A few years after their arrival in Australia the family changed their name to Manning. I have found no obvious reason for the name change, nor whether this practise was unique to this particular family.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 pm

There are a few snippets of information I can add although I don't have enough background on the Flanigan and Manning families to actually try to find people in censuses. Fortunately the forename Luke is sufficiently unique that very early in some online lookups I found a city directory listing that may prove useful for finding a marriage record. Using the Emigrant Savings Bank records was a great start, and I have no doubt that Luke did live in Manhattan but the city directory for Brooklyn shows him there in 1858, at an address quite close to an 1856 entry for a Patrick Manning. The involved street, Hudson Avenue, is actually the most northerly section of the roadway called Navy Street, which is the western border of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The closest Catholic church, Assumption of the BVM, 64 Middagh St., is one of the very oldest in Kings County, established 1842, and a little more south is another old one, from 1849: St. Charles Borromeo. Records from both are in the Diocesan Archives.

I also show the one record in the Oregon State Archives for Luke, which is his daughter's birth record in 1860, apparently in Portland. I also located the death mention in a San Francisco newspaper, which adds nothing new to your knowledge, except that there apparently was yet family back in Brooklyn due to the request for publishing there. I have seen a James Manning in 1870 and 1880 San Francisco censuses, in the same industry (liquor sales) as the 22-year-old James Mannering who is listed in San Francisco in 1860. I also saw a Mary J. Manning, age 18 b. Oregon, in 1880 San Francisco, although I don't know whether this is the first or second child born to Luke.

Hope that might provide new leads for you. The books that I suggest consulting, if you haven't done so already, are the Joseph Silinonte's books on Holy Cross Cemetery burials and on Catholic dispensations in the Brooklyn diocese, both available in major libraries. I checked the online burials in Calvary Cemetery and found none for Manning or Flannigan, but that makes sense as that cemetery is much farther north.

Sharon Carberry
(Luxembourg immigrants buried Brooklyn)
Manning 1860 birth OR.jpg
Anna Mary b. 1860 Oregon
Manning 1860 birth OR.jpg (44.41 KiB) Viewed 34789 times
Manning, 1858 Bklyn diry, with Luke.jpg
Luke on Hudson av.
Manning, 1858 Bklyn diry, with Luke.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 34789 times
Manning, Luke 1864.jpg
Manning, Luke 1864.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 34789 times
Attachments
Manning, Bklyn 1856 diry.jpg
Patrick Manning on Hudson av.
Manning, Bklyn 1856 diry.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 34789 times

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Sharon,

The Anna Marie Manning mentioned in the Oregon State Archives is the elder daughter of Luke Manning and Mary Ann Flanagan Manning. The Mary J. Manning mentioned in the 1880 census in San Francisco is their second daughter, who was baptized as Mary Anne Manning (I'm not sure when or why she changed it to "Mary J." but that was the name on her marriage license also.) Mary Ann Manning is my great-grandmother.

Thank you for the Brooklyn census information. Even if Luke Manning was living in Manhattan in 1856, when I presume he was still single, it makes perfect sense that in 1858 he would be living in Brooklyn. He and my great great-grandmother were probably married at that point. It also makes sense that he would be a laborer when married, as he worked in a billiards saloon when he was 16 and that wouldn't have been a job for a married man. (Apparently he was a champion billiards player and was once given an ivory pool cue as a "trophy" of his prowess.)

Also, thank you for the church info. Do you know how I could access the Diocesan Archives? Are they online at all?

Both Luke and Mary Ann are buried (or should I say reburied!?!?) in Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma, California. They were originally buried in Calvary Cemetery in San Francisco, but when the city of San Francisco had the bodies in the "Big Four" cemeteries moved outside of the city "The Catholic Archdiocese of San Francisco oversaw the removal of Calvary Cemetery remains to Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma. A priest was in attendance at all phases of body removal and transport, and an inspector from the Department of Public Health was on hand for disinterment. Relatives could watch the disinterment if they wished. As with Laurel Hill removals, screens were erected, remains placed in boxes according to condition, and bodies disinterred on one day transported to Holy Cross and reinterred the same day."

I have seen the San Francisco censuses for James Manning, also. My great-great-grandfather, Luke Manning, owned and ran The Miner's Return Saloon in Portland, Oregon, so I've wondered if the liquor salesman was his brother.

I've attached the portraits that we have of Luke and Mary Ann Manning. I've also attached the blurb about his accident, the Emigrant Bank Test Book, and his listing as a saloon owner in the 1863 Portland, Oregon city directory.

Regards,

Lauri
Attachments
Accident.png
Accident.png (13.55 KiB) Viewed 34780 times
Manning L Saloon 165 Front.jpg
Manning L Saloon 165 Front.jpg (269.13 KiB) Viewed 34780 times
Mary Ann Flanagan.jpg
Mary Ann Flanagan.jpg (41.76 KiB) Viewed 34780 times
Luke Manning.jpg
Luke Manning.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 34780 times
Luke Manning Emigrant Bank Test Book.jpg
Luke Manning Emigrant Bank Test Book.jpg (564.45 KiB) Viewed 34780 times

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:59 pm

I don't have background info on the Brooklyn diocesan archives other than generally knowing that there is an archivist there and the Brooklyn bishop cooperated with Joseph Silinonte in providing records from the archives for the dispensation book. Online info indicates this: Office of Diocesan Archives 310 Prospect Park West Brooklyn, NY 11215 (718) 965-7300.

I actually want to alert you to a parallel set of forenames to those in your family, with the same origin in Clare in the same general time period. A quick survey online with the help of the Mocavo search engine shows that Clare records show the earliest Manning in that area to be Luke Manning in the 1820s (I note that a slightly earlier man of the gentry class in the Sixmilebridge area was Luke Littleton, a possible reason for the unusual forename to be used by your family). That early Luke Manning may have had three sons, if records in the next two decades are related: John, Edmond, and Patrick. I don't know what happened to John and his line, but Edmond's son Patrick went to Australia, where his descendant Virginia Loy may be helpful for your research. I note that both James Manning, the San Francisco liquor dealer, and a good prospect Patrick Manning of Manhattan, had sons named Edward b.c. 1865. I'll show below bits and pieces found quickly today. Apparently the sticky point is getting into church records, for you the Brooklyn ones and for the Australian end of the family, the Sixmilebridge ones. BTW, in Sixmilebridge there are smaller place names of Fort William and Cratloe involved with the Mannings.

Anyway, you need to get those details from Brooklyn so you can better dovetail with what is known in Sixmilebridge and now also Australia. However, this new info shows you have a lot to look forward to.

S. Carberry

Luke Manning August 21, 1817 Barony of Bunratty 1821 freeholder
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... arony3.htm

Manning, John Houses and land at Fortwilliam, Bunratty barony Sixmilebridge 19 June 1829
Freeholders 1829
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... urname.htm

Bio Notices index
Manning Martin Windy Gap, Cratloe 11 Oct 1958
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... pionm2.htm

Old Ballysheen graveyard
O'Halloran grave [Sydney refers to the Australian city]
... erected by | Martin Manning of Sydney | in loving memory of | his father Edmond | who died 17 June 1891 aged 75 | his mother Mary | died 17 April 1888 aged 65 | his brother Michael | died 27 April 1917 aged 57 | his brother Patrick | died 21 Dec. 1924 aged 63 | Catherine Manning | died Jan 1932 aged 36 | Michael Manning | died 31 May 1978 aged 77 | Martin Manning | died 4 Oct 1958 aged 34 | Mick Manning | died 19 Nov 1979 aged 61 | R. I. P. | Catherine Kitty Manning | died 21 Jan 2004 aged 74 yrs
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ptions.htm

Online message board posting by Virginia Loy 2008 vloy@astravel.com.au
I am researching the descendants of John Daniel KENNY and Mary WHITE of Six-Mile-Bridge, Co Clare, Ireland and would like to make contact with their descendants. [a later posting also stated: "I am looking for the baptism record of Mary Kenny in 1805. Her parents were John Daniel Kenny and Mary White...[and] for her marriage to Michael McNamara which I understand occurred at the same church but I am unsure of the date."]
One of their daughters Margaret KENNY was baptised 29 August 1804 at St John's RC Church, Cratloe, Co Clare, Ireland. They were living at Six-Mile-Bridge Co Clare.
Margaret married Patrick MANNING of Fortwilliam Co Clare Ireland. I believe that they migrated to South Australia on the ship "British Empire" in 1850 with some of their children to join Margaret's brother Michael KENNY.
I think that their MANNING children were probably
MICHAEL born ??c 1816 at Six-Mile-Bridge, Co Clare, Ireland
married Mary Jane Kelly 1856 St Patrick's RC Church, Adelaide, died 9 Nov 1917 at Eurelia, Sth Australia
JOHN PATRICK born ??c 1818 Co Clare, Ireland , married 1855 Kapunda, Sth Australia, farmed at Saddleworth, Yorke Peninsula and then Netherley in Victoria, died 15 Jan 1916 Nhill, Victoria
MARY born c 1831 Co Clare, Ireland, died 6 Nov 1868 at Saddleworth, Sth Australia, married James CLIFFORD and Nicholas HANNEGA/EN
PATRICK born c 1832 married Margaret FROST. Died 1869 at Saddleworth, Sth Australia
BRIDGET born c 1836 married 1859 Saddleworth Patrick REDDEN. She died 1922 aand is buried at Pekina, South Australia
LUKE born c 1838 (arrived SA 1850 with parents) married Anne KELLY 1869 at Saddleworth SA. I don't know where he died.
JAMES born c 1841 married Margaret BYRNE 1867 at Sevenhill, Sth Aust, died 27 Mar 1876 at Peesey, Sth Aust, buried at Yorketown, Sth Australia. Had 2 daughters and probably 2 sons. One daughter married James Joseph HONNER, one married Patrick O'DEA
ANNE born c 1843 married John CONDON 1868 at Gawler, Sth Aust, died before 1901, lived Hamley Bridge. husband John CONDON moved to WA with some family where he died in 1926.

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks, Sharon. An issue that I've been having when looking for "my" Mannings who emigrated to the US, is only being able to find info on the Mannings who emigrated to Australia. With both sets having Patricks, Catherines and Lukes, it tends to get confusing.

I have been in contact with someone in Australia who is looking for that branch of the Manning family and have passed your info on to her.

Will contact the Brooklyn Diocese (thanks for that info) and see what I can find out.

Regards,

Lauri

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm

If the Diocesan Archives can't provide a full marriage record (preferably a photocopy of the actual entry), you might try the LDS library catalog to see if the parish records are on its film, available for rental at your local Family History Center. LDS filmings tend to vary widely in legibility, linked to quality of the imaging and condition of the actual page. I just viewed the photocopy of the November 1860 marriage record which I obtained 17 years ago from a Brooklyn RC church serving the Luxembourg group. I needed that image so that I could consult with the NY Public Library map room librarian on the Belgian/Lux. town corresponding to the spelling in the marriage record (successfully, as other records later confirmed). Knowing the village led to the reason for emigration, as the border had been changed in 1839 so that the village came under Belgian control after being part of Luxembourg for a long time prior. My family's occupation was tied to the Luxembourg government administration of the area, and thus the family left in the 1840s.

If your Manning marriage entry of 1858 or '59 is similar, you will be receiving the full names of both sets of parents, including mothers' maiden names, together with the old-country village of residence, and the names of two witnesses. These will likely be in handwriting and may be in Latin, in which case the village is the word following "ex" meaning "from."

Hope to hear about the Archives' response,

Sharon C.

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi Sharon,

Spoke to someone at Diocesan Archives and he basically told me to call the churches and see if they could help me. One of the chuches he suggested was the same one you did: Assumption of the BVM. He also suggested St. James Cathedral, it being another "territiorial" church.

Thanks again,

Lauri

Dawnie

Post by Dawnie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:01 pm

G'day all, my name is Dawnie and I am a descendant of Patrick Manning from Fortwilliam, Sixmilebridge. He married Margaret Kenny daughter of John Daniel Kenny and Mary White. Patrick Manning and Margaret Kenny's children were all born in Co Clare. They all migrated to South Australia in the 1850's. One of their son's was my gg-grandfather John Patrick Manning. He and two brothers left Ireland in 1846 and went to America for six years working in some of the leading factories in Massachusetts. They then migrated to South Australia to join their parents and siblings. John Patrick married and moved to Victoria, Australia in the 1880's, I think his siblings all stayed in Sth Aust. I have no records of their migration apart from what Virginia Loy has told me.

Lauri so kindly informed me of this forum and I thought I would join in. I have been reading with great interest all the replies on this forum.

Cheers
Dawnie

Lauri

Post by Lauri » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Sharon,

I checked into the James M. Manning in San Francisco. He had the son named Edward. Interestingly, I was able to find out that Edward's middle name was Luke, so I can now assume that James was indeed Luke's brother and Edward his nephew. Am trying to see if I can find out any more on that part of the family to see if there are any family members to connect with. I found out from the census that James and his wife Annie had 8 children, including Edward Luke. One daughter, Katie Ellen, died at the age of 7 in 1877, and I haven't had a lot of luck finding info on the other siblings. So far, I've traced Edward Luke to 1896 in San Francisco, but don't know if he married, had children, etc. The pre-1906 records from San Francisco are few and far between.

Lauri