Margaret Ennis Morgan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

margaretsgirl

Margaret Ennis Morgan

Post by margaretsgirl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 am

Hi all I am looking for the family of my Great Great Grandmother, named above. She was born in Ennis in 1838, Immigrated in 1857 to Victoria, Australia, on the "Jessie Munn", she was the daughter of Michael Morgan and Mary Reidy. In 1859 she married William Henry Warren (a cornishman)in a place called Beechworth, Victoria, she died in 1881 in Rutherglen Victoria of Cancer of the Womb. I'm looking for where she came from in Ennis. Her family in Ennis, where they're buried, if there are any relations still living, how THEY lived in Clare. My beloved Nan was named Ennis as a mark of respect for her homeland (Margaret's that is). I've looked on the library web site, that's where I found the ships name. But I'd like more info. I have a photo of William Henry, and even his dad, but nothing of the Morgans. Can anyone help please? Regards Margaretsgirl.

Paddy Casey

Re: Margaret Ennis Morgan

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:59 am

There are at least four approaches to finding your Morgan relatives who remained in Ennis. Others on this forum might have more ideas.

Browse through the 1901 census of the various Ennis census districts on the Clare Library website and note the numerous Morgan family clusters that were resident there at that time, i.e. possible relatives of yours and also possible ancestors of Morgans still living in Ennis.

Note the Morgans in the Index to Biographical Notices 1935-1985 on the Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ionm10.htm and see whether you can obtain copies of death notices, obituaries, etc. The latter often contain lists of family members, e.g. those who attended a funeral, with their relationships (e.g. "uncle of the deceased").

Note the numerous Morgans in the Ennis National School Registers 1898-1952 at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rname4.htm and see whether they give any clues as to family clusters which stayed behind. There may be children who were mentioned in letters which your GGG wrote.

The Eircom phone book lists 5 Morgans in Ennis (see http://www.eircomphonebook.ie/search/ennis/morgan.html ). You could phone them and see whether they know anything of ancestors who emigrated to Australia. Don't snort with derision. I've tried this cold-calling and it is remarkably successful. Sometimes those who stayed in Ireland have retained letters from the family members who emigrated but have never bothered to trace them to the present day families in Australia, USA, South Africa, etc.

Paddy

P.S. Recently the Clare Roots Society surveyed the Drumcliffe cemetery in Ennis - a very substantial undertaking which was completed in a remarkably short time thanks to strict project planning and execution - and I have been told that the following Morgan headstones were found:

Morgan, Delia d. 16 Jan 1978
Morgan, Patrick (Pappy) d. 23 Dec 1983
Morgan, Michael No date
Morgan, Evline No date

No address given.

margaretsgirl

Post by margaretsgirl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:37 pm

:D Thanks SO much, due to Christmas I haven't been looking, but I'm back at it now, will follow up. Appreciate the advice.

Clare Past Mod

Post by Clare Past Mod » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:43 am

We do hope these leads will be of use to you. If they are please let us know and tell us which lead led you where. This feedback is very important to us as it helps us gauge the usefulness of the information sources we offer. Also, your findings may well be of help to others researching the same families.

Thank you.

Clare Past Moderator