hospital in or near ennis?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

lenc

hospital in or near ennis?

Post by lenc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:56 pm

can anyone help me identify this hospital?

i believe the pic is from early 1900's

i had thought it might be our lady's but i'm not sure now.
Attachments
hospitalii.jpg
hospitalii.jpg (244.61 KiB) Viewed 33834 times

Declan Barron

Re: hospital in or near ennis?

Post by Declan Barron » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 pm

It might be what was the County Home. The Ennis Workhouse became the County home. The original building was demoilished circa 1970 and the new County home built and called St. Josephs, which exists today. there are very few surviving photos of the Workhouse. It looks like a chapel behing the ladies ?

lenc

Post by lenc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 am

thats great thanks declan.

i had a feeling it wasn't our lady's as i have been in the grounds when i was a child.my father used to work there.

i will look into your suggestions and thanks again

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Like Declan above, I think it's the Ennis Union workhouse. The severe architectural style of the church and the range of buildings in the background strongly indicate a workhouse. It's the location of the church that makes me think it is the Ennis workhouse.
These workhouses were constructed to a standard design and where a church or chapel was included, it was imbedded in the workhouse buildings. Only rarely was the church (or chapel, as Catholic churches were termed at the time) constructed separately from the main buildings.
The Ennis workhouse had a separate chapel. A look at the OS 25" Ennis sheet (surveyed in c. 1905) shows a chapel on the west side of the site. The chapel is an inverted L shape, oriented North-South, with the entrance at the North end. The photo shows the five nurses posing in front of the entrance porch of the chapel. To the right of the photo is undeveloped land which matches with the OS sheet. To the left of the photo, in the background, is a range of 2-storey buildings. If this is indeed the Ennis workhouse, these buildings are the administration and admission block of the workhouse.
The photographer would have had his back to the infirmary block of the workhouse when he took the photo. Perhaps it was there the five nurses worked. It is indicative of how dreary the whole place must have been, that the most photogenic place that could be found to take a photo of five youngish women was in a bare rockery in front of a dismal looking church.

I'm guessing the photo was taken pre-independence, perhaps in the 1900s, and so the workhouse was open for inmates. The 1901 & 1911 censuses show lists of occupants by initials. The mass deaths in the workhouses of the 1850s would have been recent history to the older inmates.

lenc

Post by lenc » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:03 am

well, M. McNamara what can i say!

a big thanks you for looking at my photo and for all your help there.

i hope to be in ennis week after next DV and i know now what to look for,perhaps in the local library which is excellent.

i found mention of the workhouse in john o'connors excellent book "the workhouses of ireland" but unfortunately no pics.

you are right,they must have been horrendous places and a last resort.

many thanks again!

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:53 am

More on Ennis workhouse here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Ennis/

lenc

Post by lenc » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm

thanks pwaldron! there was a piccie on there too form 2000.

i'll be in town DV middle of next week and i will have a snoop around.

the single-storey buildings of the fever ward look a bit like the ones in my [very poor] pic don't they?

Enforce

Ennis County Home

Post by Enforce » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Does anyone have any information on Patrick Reidy, who was poor law guardian in ennis in 1884? I wonder if my grandmother margaret reidy was related to him.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:10 pm

I am trying to track down Reidys who were related to the Taaffes or Erinagh (my gt grandmother was a Taaffe) an Oblate Father officiated at her son Michael Gallerys funeral in 1932 he was Father Reidy and was named as a cousin. He must have descended from one of the Taaffe sisters as there were no Gallery sisters. Did your grandmother have a brother an Oblate priest ?

These may have been the same as the workhouse guardian I suspect so as Martin Taaffe was a guardian in Corofin and Edward Gallery in Ennis - people were inclined to marry into families of similar means

Margaret

lenc

Post by lenc » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:34 pm

I dont think so Margaret. She was a Moloney anyway from Dysart . I dont know what became of the only brother I know she had called Michael.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm

That is highly likely to be the Reidys I am related to . Martin Taafe was married to Mary Moloney. He was from Ruan (Erinagh and Drumcavin). Mary Moloney was very likely from Dysart and I know they were related to Reidys but not which one. My gt grandmother was Mary Taaffe (Minnie) married to David Gallery of Ballybeg
My dad used to call to Reidys who lived nowhere near us in a little village in surrey when I was growing up. I wonder now if they were distant cousins but as he is long dead I cant ask him.
regards

Margaret

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Saturday August 27 1932 a Father Reidy OMI officiated at the funeral of his cousin Michael Gallery who died young. I think though he is Thomas http://www.oblates.ie/assets/components ... gy07dd.pdf

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Someone just got in touch with me who is related to the Reidys who Father Tom came from. He is Brown. Two Powell sisters married Moloney and Reidy. Their father was Patrick Powell married to he thinks Margaret Kelly Kenny. That is obviously untrue. She was either Margaret Kenny or Margaret Kelly. Through the family they said they were related to General sir thomas Kelly Kenny as I was. I cant obviously see she was a Kenny wrong dates wrong generation and I have the Corofin Kennys accounted for. she could have been a Kelly as the Taaffes were related to Kellys.

I know that Father Tom Reidy was a cousin and I know his mother was a Powell from Corofin and her mother was either a Kelly or a Kenny. I doubt he was any further away than second cousin as he is named as a cousin so I suspect its a Kelly connection.