Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

joint responsibility for rent to landlord

Post by matthewmacnamara » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 pm

In Father Peadar O'Laoghaire's autobiography Mo sceal fein we read:

LEAS I BPAIRT BA EA E...DA BHFAGFADH DUINE DE NA TIONONTAI A CHIOS
GAN DIOL, D'FHEADFADH AN MAISTIR A CHUR D'IALLACH AR AN GCUID EILE
E A DHIOL THAR A CHEANN

[It was a joint lease... if one of the tenants did not pay his rent, the landlord
could oblige the others to pay on his behalf]

Would anyone have knowledge of such leasing arrangements in Clare?

M. McNamara

Re: joint responsibility for rent to landlord

Post by M. McNamara » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm

This was common. You can see many examples of this arrangement in Griffiths Val.
In the attached, under Castlecrine, plot 18 has five occupiers shown tied together with a chain bracket. This is an indication that although the five have been individually assessed, there is a joint obligation to pay the total rent. The purpose, I'd guess, was to avoid having the landlord or his agent bothering about minor money collection matters. (I know about this because the Timothy McNamara listed is my GGF.)

PS I tried to attach a link to the Griffiths page, I failed so here is what you must do. Navigate to Griffiths (I go via "Ask about Ireland"), do a placename search for Castlecrine, Co. Clare and open the original page.

murf

Post by murf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:16 am

Refer also to this previous discussion relating to multiple tenants renting a turf bog.
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtop ... +bog#p2323

matthewmacnamara

Post by matthewmacnamara » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Still this subject I am adding an extract from what

Father Fitzgibbon of Meelick/Parteen said in evidence to a Commission of Enquiry in 1844.

They are small farmers of ten or twelve acres of land, and hold in common, what they call 'partners', which is
a very bad system. They very often do not agree, and it lays the foundation for disputes; they encroach upon each
other. They are only imaginary boundaries and the cattle pass from one to the other.

The Tithe Applotment book for the Meelick area contains some few references to partners in holdings.