Frawley of Kilfarboy and Wisconsin

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Frawley of Kilfarboy and Wisconsin

Post by smcarberry » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 pm

I came across such a superb photo that I have spent the past two days quickly researching the family. Although my only
resources at this time are online ones (which I will supplement with obituaries after I send for those), I am fairly sure that
Thomas Frawley, born WI, in the photo is a Kilfarboy descendant. I have already spent several years accumulating material
on Clare descendants in Manitowoc County, where the Frawleys have hardly a mention. However, the Jeremy and Bridget
Frawley in a Manitowoc County cemetery are in fact the ones who lived in Kewaunee Co., which borders Manitowoc Co.
to the north, and the Thomas who is first mentioned as a schoolteacher in Cooperstown of Manitowoc Co. is the one in
the photo, a Kewaunee teacher and later school district superintendent,the son of Jeremy's younger brother John. The Thomas Frawley who died in Manitowoc County in 1857 must have been the fourth of the Frawley brothers, the first to arrive in WI, apparently deceased before the others arrived.

My Manitowoc research has centered on a set of McMahon families, one of whose descendants, a Michael, became a schoolteacher and then a school principal, all in Kewaunee in the early 1900s. Now I see that his going to the other county was not random.

If you make the effort to see the photo, you will not be disappointed. I cannot upload the photo to appear on this page
because it is a pdf file, not jpeg.

Sharon Carberry
researching a Carberry who married one of the Manitowoc Co. McMahons

Here is background on the Frawleys and on the person who placed the Frawley photo on the Internet:
placed online with the photo --
Thomas FRAWLEY OCT 1870 WI - 1955
1900: Franklin, Kewaunee, WI CENSUS:Schoolteacher
Married: Nellie / Ellen J. JAN 1871 -1937
BUR: Holy Rosary, Kewaunee, Kewaunee, WI
CHILDREN:
James E. FRAWLEY NOV 1895 WI
Martha E. FRAWLEY JUL 1897 WI
Lawrence FRAWLEY 13 AUG 1899 WI-DEC 1978. DePere, Brown Co., WI
http://www3.familyoldphotos.com/photo/w ... -j-frawley

My cullings:
COOPERSTOWN [Manitowoc_Co.]
A later teacher, Thomas Frawley became county superintendent of Kewaunee county... http://files.usgwarchives.org/wi/manito ... 112gms.txt

Obituary index from Kewaunee Enterprise Newspaper Frawley Jeremiah; 77; Cooperstown; 4/21/93

St. James Cemetery, Cooperstown, Manitowoc Co. WI
FRAWLEY:
Jeremiah/1826-1893, ossw:
His wife/Bridget/1830-1873
FRAWLY:
Thomas Frawly/Native of Parish Kilfarboy/Co. Clare Ireland/ Died/Dec. 23, 1857/age 30 years

1880 census Franklin, Kewaunee, Wisconsin
Frawley
Jeremi wid. 64 IRE Farmer [1870 show his wife Bridget b.c. 1835]
Susan Dau 18 WI Housekeeping [later called Johanna]
Thomas Son 13 WI Helping On Farm [stayed a farmer]
Maggie Dau 10 WI
next to:
Frawly
Patrick 60 IRE Farmer
Sally Wife 50 IRE
Bridget Dau 10 WI
also next to (on other side of Jeremi's farm):
Frawley
John 50 IRE Farmer
Margret Wife 40 IRE
Thomas Son 9 WI [later schoolteacher]

1900 WI Kewaunee Co. Franklin twp.
Frawley
Thomas J. 33 WI b. Jul 1866 pars: Ire farmer
Johanna T., sister 39 Ire Nov 1860 img'd 1864 single

His cousin Thomas, the schoolteacher--
1900 WI Kewaunee Co. Franklin twp.
Frowley
Thomas 29 WI Oct 1870 pars: Ire schoolteacher
Nellie J. 29 IL “ mar'd 5 yrs, 3 ch b.
James F. 5 WI
Martha E.
Lawrence J.
Margaret 59 Ire b. Dec 1840 img'd 1859 widow, one child born

Griffiths Valuation (1855)
Frawley, Darby townland Knockbrack parish: Kilfarboy PLU: Ennistimon

Family of the person who posted the Frawley photo, apparently not related:
John HEFFERNAN & Bridget GARVEY d.18?? Quin, County Clare, IRL. Descendants removed to Cayuga Co. NY by 1850 and later IA & WI.
John HEFFERNAN b.c 179? [was] father of Roger HEFFERNAN/HEFFERNEN b.c 1827 County Clare d.1904 Monti Buchanan IA. Daughter, Catherine b.1831 Finlo, Co. Clare, IRL d.1861 Cayuga Co. NY. Other sons migrated to Cayuga Co. NY included: Patrick b.c 1815, Thomas b.c 1824, Andrew b.c 1834, James b. AUG 1840. ..[John was] most likely born in either the Parish of Templemaley or Kilraghtis in the central part of County Clare a few kilometers North of the county seat: Ennis, and spent most of his life in nearby parishes. He was probably ...the same John HEFFERNAN living 1851(Griffith's Taxables) in the Townland of Mooghaun North, Tomfinlough Parish, Barony of Bunratty Lower,
Michael HEFFERNAN m.? Cayuga NY Bridget ?(1834 IRL-) Farmed: 1880 Franklin Kewaunee WI
Margaret GARVEY [sponsor] on 27 APR 1838 at Roman Catholic Baptism of Honor HEFFERNAN d/o John HEFFERNAN & Bridget GARVEY.
Most sons died in Cayuga Co. NY with Michael dying in Kewaunee Co. WI and Roger dying in Buchanan Co. IA.
Thomas Frawley, Kewaunee WI.pdf
Thomas Frawley (teacher) photo
(48.83 KiB) Downloaded 474 times