Kilrush Orphan Girls to Tasmania aboard "Beulah"

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ianb

Kilrush Orphan Girls to Tasmania aboard "Beulah"

Post by ianb » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Hello,

I recently discovered that my great-grandmother was among a shipload of Irish orphans transported to Van Diemen’s Land in 1851 aboard the ship “Beula”. She fell pregnant to my great-grandfather, William Edward Beard, a Convict from London in about May of 1853. They were married on 9 January 1854 a scant month before their first child James Wilson Beard was born. Her name according to Beula’s Passenger List was Mary Warrent; and on the list stating who she was assigned to work for on after arrival it is recorded as “Warrant”. On her Marriage Record it is down as “Mary Ann Jane Warren”. She & James produced 11 children and according to their Birth Records her Surname is recorded as “Warren” for the 5 youngest and “Warrant” for the 6 older ones. i feel strongly that Warrant is correct. Her Migration Record indicates that she came from Kilrush – we are assuming that means the Kilrush Poorhouse.

Her Surname doesn’t appear to be that common – is anyone able to shed any light on her family?

I also have a photo of her taken about 1877 at about age 44.

Four of my Great-grandparents were Irish and I am keen to find out about my Irish roots.

BTW – I have read the article “From Clare to Van Diemen’s Land: Some forgotten Mothers of Tasmania” by Michael MacMahon but it deals mainly with those aboard the "Calcutta"

Thank You & Regards,

Ian Beard

johnmayer

Re: Kilrush Orphan Girls to Tasmania aboard "Beulah"

Post by johnmayer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 am

I know it is not near Kilrush, but here are some Clare Warren's/Warrant's and other variations:

THE WARREN’S OF CAPPALEA NORTH, KILLANIV

The Warren family was present in Cappalea North at the time of the 1826 Tithe Applotments. Michael Warrant is identified as occupying the land

Thomas Warrant and Kate Griffey
Thomas Warrant and Kate Griffey were likely married prior to 1853. They had at least one child named Patrick, who was baptized on February 24, 1853. His Godparents were John Griffy and Bridget McMahon.

Thomas Warren is listed in the 1855 Griffith’s Valuation as renting 67 acres, one rood and 24 perches of land from William Armstrong. The land contains a house and offices.

James Warren and Honor Hickey
James Warren and Honor Hickey were married in Kilmaley Parish, in 1888. They had at least five children. Here are the baptism records for some of those children:
• Katie Warren was born February 12, 1889 (George Warren and Maria Warren)
• Thomas Warren was born August 19, 1890 (Charles Moroney and Mary Kellly)
• Michael Warren was born December 15, 1891 (James and Mary Malley)
• James Warren was born March 4, 1896 (William Hickey and Ellen Neylon)

Thomas Warren was enrolled at Kilmaley School in 1899. His brother Michael Warren was enrolled in 1900.

1901 Census of Cappalea North, Killaniv
Warran Honora Head 40
Warran Catherine Daughter 12
Warran Thomas Son 10
Warran Michael Son 9
Warran Mary Daughter 7
Warran James Son 5
Warran Maria Sister-in-law 30

1911 Census of Cappalea North, Killaniv, House Number 4
Warren Norah 56 Female Head
Warren Katie 22 Female Daughter
Warren Thomas 20 Male Son
Warren Michael 19 Male Son
Warren Minnie 17 Female Daughter
Warren James 15 Male Son
Warren Maria 54 Female Sister in Law

Katie Warren married John Collins of Doora, in Ennis, on February 2, 1921

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 am

Hello Ian
if you look at the "Combined list of surnames which occur in the 1901 Census of Population of County Clare, the Griffith's Valuation 1855 of County Clare, and the Tithe Applotment Books (1820s-1840s) for County Clare, including the number of occurences for each surname collected in each source" on the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... mbined.htm you will see that there are references to Warrans, Warrants, Warrens and Warrents. If you knew your great-grandmother's father's first name it would help to narrow the search of course...

ianb

Post by ianb » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, we have nothing of her past, she married a convict and as a result we have three generations of people hiding the past. Who her parents were or even the correct spelling of her surname is unsure. The transcriptions of the shipping list have only just appeared on the Ancestry website so I’m sure I’m not the only one who will be curious.
Ian Beard

ianb

Post by ianb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm

Hello Again,
I think I may have tracked down my Warrant family. There is only one reference to the "Warrant" surame in the Reports and Returns Relating to Evictions in the Kilrush Union (1847-1849) George Warrant and his family were evicted from their holding "On the Lands of Cree, Kilmacduane Electoral Division, Timothy Kelly, Lessor under Court of Chancery" on August 14, 1848. The family is described as 5 Males & 2 Females, most likely George, his Wife, 4 Sons & a Daughter.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... sure27.htm
He is also recorded in the County Clare Tithe Applotment Books of 1825 http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ne_tab.htm
Do any Parish records exist for that area for the years 1825-48?

ianb

Post by ianb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Photo of Mary Beard (nee Warrant) taken about 1877 at about age 44. It was taken about the time of the death of her daughter Florence.
Mary is shown dressed in mourning clothes; sadness and sorrow are etched into her face.
Attachments
Mary Ann Jane Beard (nee Warrant).jpg
Photo of Mary Beard (nee Warrant) taken about 1877 at about age 44. It was taken about the time of the death of her daughter Florence.
Mary is shown dressed in mourning clothes; sadness and sorrow are etched into her face.
Mary Ann Jane Beard (nee Warrant).jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 14567 times

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm

The earliest surviving parish registers for the area you are interested in appear to date from 1853. See http://kdhs.ie/?page_id=389

murf

Post by murf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Ian
Re photo of Mary Beard, and at the risk of being accused of nitpicking, the handwritten name on the edge of the photo suggests that this may be a mirror image of the original. This has happened to me in the past.
PS The buttons on her dress may also be a clue.

ianb

Post by ianb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 am

G'day Murph,
Thanks for the suggestion.
The photo is printed directly from a glass plate negative. The name is scratched into the emulsion which means that unless the photgrapher is smart enough to do mirror writing it will be backwards when printed.
Re the buttons, they are on the correct side for women's clothing, men's buttons close from the other side. :wink: