New facebook group for Clare genealogy

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

New facebook group for Clare genealogy

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:30 pm

For those who like facebook, there is a new County Clare Ireland Genealogy group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/countyclare/

Kurt in S.A.

Re: New facebook group for Clare genealogy

Post by Kurt in S.A. » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:44 pm

Not being a facebook devotee, what's does this provide to people? I had a friend (who is a facebook member) go to this link and it indicated it is a closed group. So, just having a facebook username/password doesn't let you be a part of the group? Does it take another joining process?

Thanks...Kurt

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:38 pm

I assume the difference between "Open group" and "Closed group" is that those who click on the "Join group" link become members immediately for Open groups and only after subsequent approval by an Administrator for Closed groups.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:26 am

pwaldron wrote:For those who like facebook, there is a new County Clare Ireland Genealogy group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/countyclare/
I'm sorry to hear this, Paddy. Over the years I have been very impressed by, and have greatly enjoyed, the open and free nature of the Clare genealogy effort with the volunteers' products and discussions being available on the open Internet for all to listen in to, enjoy and profit from. I'm sorry some of the Clare genealogists have now decided to hive themselves off in a closed forum on a members-only website with controversial and quicksand-like privacy rules.

johnmayer

Post by johnmayer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

I look at the new Facebook page as another option for networking with people looking for information. In its short time I have seen at least a half dozen postings that have directed people to this forum and others for additional help in their geneological searches. So I suppose it may bring new viewers the the Clare Library Site, the Library Forum, the Ennis parish marriage records and many other sites. I think it is no different than those of us who may subscribe to Ancestry.com or may have paid money to the Clarre Heritage center. In the end, I think it only strengthens research for all of us.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:20 am

johnmayer wrote:I look at the new Facebook page as another option for networking with people looking for information. In its short time I have seen at least a half dozen postings that have directed people to this forum and others for additional help in their geneological searches. So I suppose it may bring new viewers the the Clare Library Site, the Library Forum, the Ennis parish marriage records and many other sites. I think it is no different than those of us who may subscribe to Ancestry.com or may have paid money to the Clarre Heritage center. In the end, I think it only strengthens research for all of us.
Point taken. Thanks.
Paddy.

Jim McNamara

Post by Jim McNamara » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi Paddy,

While the Facebook site is interesting for connecting, there is nothing better than this site. Here are some of the aspects to compare:

- Posts disappear (age out) on Facebook but not here.
- One cousin I found there did not reply. Either they were not interested in finding relations or they just could not find that post again.
- The Facebook format is not very friendly for posting, it's meant for quick exchanges, not in-depth pieces, it just doesn't fit.
- More of the Facebook posters are casually interested people, while folks here are avidly engaged and very knowledgeable.

So you have your choice, lots of photos and nice to look at, or solid knowledge with actual researchers. I do believe you will see more and more people head back here.

Hope all is well in Clare.

All the best,
Jim McNamara
Surnames of Interest: McNamara-McGrath, Cleary-Conway

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." -Rumi

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Interesting feedback and perspective. You're right, of course. The meat and potatoes are here and on the Library site. Thanks, Jim.

Paddy

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 pm

The main difference between a closed Facebook group and forums like this is that the Facebook material is not available to anyone searching the web.

Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the world wide web, is very clear on the dangers of 'closed silos of content':
The piece below is quoted from http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... e-facebook
-----------
Facebook, LinkedIn and other social networking sites represent "one of several threats" to the future of the world wide web, its founder, Sir Tim Berners-Lee has warned. "The web evolved into a powerful, ubiquitous tool because it was built on egalitarian principles," he said. "The web as we know it, however, is being threatened in different ways. Some of its most successful inhabitants have begun to chip away at its principles." He added: "The more you enter, the more you become locked in. Your social networking site becomes a central platform – a closed silo of content, and one that does not give you full control over your information in it. The more this kind of architecture gains widespread use, the more the web becomes fragmented, and the less we enjoy a single, universal information space".

---------------

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks for this, mcreed. I guess it's what I wanted to say with my "....Clare genealogists have now decided to hive themselves off in a closed forum on a members-only website...." but not so well put.

Yesterday there was an article in our local paper saying that there was an almost 10% net loss of Facebook subscribers among Swiss teenagers in the 16-20 year group in the first 6 months of 2012. Interviewed about their reasons the teenagers were not very analytical but simply said that Facebook was "Yesterday" (the ultimate thumbs-down among teenagers) and ".....no longer Cool....". Asked which social networking sites they had moved to, most said "None" and explained that most of their social intercourse centered around talk in the school yard and environs. Imagine that ! Talk ?! How "Yesterday" can things get.

It left me wondering whether Facebook, and possibly other social networking sites, will shortly be a memory with a "sic transit gloria mundi" epitaph. After all, 10 years ago banks and the EU were viewed as solid institutions and look where they are now.

Paddy

M. McNamara

Post by M. McNamara » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 pm

So if you bought Facebook shares in the recent much hyped public offering.... sell! sell! sell!.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Members can search the posts in the County Clare Ireland Genealogy facebook "group", but a Google search for a few early topics suggests that Google is not indexing it.

Conversely, the Kilrush Local History Group has an open facebook "page" and Google often throws up items posted on that page, and has brought people with much to contribute to the page.

Could anyone who is directed by Google or another search engine to a specific item in the County Clare Ireland Genealogy facebook "group" please let us know here?

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:46 am

(The piece below appears on http://searchengineland.com/facebook-in ... oups-52388)

"Facebook said that there would be three types of groups: open, closed and secret.

Open: these groups will essentially be entirely public; people will be able to see members and the group’s content;
Closed: the group’s existence and members can be seen, however its content will not be visible to outsiders;
Secret group: both the content and membership will be invisible to anyone outside the group".

-------------

You can try to search the County Clare Facebook group content using Google's 'site' search function, e.g. try searching for the term 'clare' - a word I'd imagine would feature in the group content - by going to Google and entering

clare site:facebook.com/groups/countyclare/

Result:
"Your search - county site:facebook.com/groups/countyclare/ - did not match any documents. "

You can search this forum in Google using the same technique,
i.e. in Google search for

clare site:ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/

The result: content on this forum (and others similar to it) is available to anyone searching the web with Google. Content on Closed Facebook Groups is not available to anyone searching the web with Google.

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:45 pm

That group did not really work for me, it seems to be covering a very broad brief. Rather than concentrating on genealogy there are multiple posts of general irish interest. (and not terribly interesting at that song lyrics for well known songs)
I think it is discouraging the actually interested in historical/genealogical research by the lack of focus - I am no longer a member.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:20 pm

mcreed wrote:The main difference between a closed Facebook group and forums like this is that the Facebook material is not available to anyone searching the web.
This problem is also referred to by Google’s search chief, Amit Singhal, in his recent comments at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/g ... ngine.html

Paddy