land league east clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

matthewmacnamara

land league east clare

Post by matthewmacnamara » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:23 pm

would anyone know of sources of information on Land League branches or activity in east Clare from
1880 onwards? I am particularly interested in activity in the Meelick area. Nearer in to Limerick city, farmers in
the North Liberties joined the Limerick city branch of the Land League.

In 1880 the parish priest of Meelick/Parteen Father Luke Gleeson was a leading member
of the Limerick City Land League branch.

Paddy Casey

Re: land league east clare

Post by Paddy Casey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:08 pm

If you fire up www.clarelibrary.ie and click on "Search" and enter "Land League" as the search argument you will find numerous references to Land League activity in East Clare.

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:03 am

Off the top of my head, Clare books which should have lots of references to land league activity include The Clare Elections by Kieran Sheedy; Clare History and Society (esp. Breandán Ó Cathaoir's chapter); and Politics and Irish Life by David Fitzpatrick.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 am

I've found various subscription sites a great source of information.
Particularly:
The British Newspaper Archive www.britishnewpaperarchive.co.uk (Subscription based but great coverage of the Freemans Journal and searchable by place name, surname and/or date).

Also Find my past Ireland
www.findmypast.ie (Subscription based).
Court and prison records (Only searchable by name / and or prison, county, date range.
For East Clare the Limerick Prison records are the main source although serious ioffenders were often moved out of the area to other prisons around the country.
These prison records don't specify Land League as such but offences state Coercion / Intimidation/ etc.
I've looked through for Feakle area and so far have well over 100 local inhabitants listed for the period 1875 - 1920.

Also 2 free sites.
Trove
and
Papers Past
(Newspaper articles from old Australian and New Zealand Newspapers which often re-used articles from British and Irish Newspapers).

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 am

E Clare 1884 land mg.jpg
E Clare 1884 land mg.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 9631 times
Just finished reviewing my saved images from the newspaper The Irish-Canadian (online, but without a search feature), I have one for the East Clare Land League in 1884. Though the request posted was for the Meelick membership, this might be of some interest as well. Note the mention of deputations in from other districts, including Limerick. This account helps to document the interaction between districts.

Sharon Carberry

matthewmacnamara

Post by matthewmacnamara » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Many thanks to SMCarberry for the USA newspaper cutting re East Clare Land League activity.
The Mr Hartigan and the John Mac Namara P.L.G. mentioned came from the Limerick City North Liberties townlands of Ballynanty and Farranshonemore respectively.
One of the Matthew Mac Namaras mentioned may also have come from Farranshonemore. These people were active in Limerick city Land League activity.
The North Liberties of the city of Limerick also encompassed the Coonagh area that was part of the Meelick half parish [of which the greater part was in county Clare]