Daniel O'Day, Ennis to Albion NY

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

Daniel O'Day, Ennis to Albion NY

Post by smcarberry » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Since it is very rare to find photographs of Clare men in biography books, I am sure that this is the first posting of one
for this gentleman who had the extraordinary good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Disdaining his
father's farming in Cattauraugus County NY (far western area), Daniel left for Buffalo and became a messenger for the New York Central Railroad, then became a shipping clerk, then switched to a company involved with transporting oil. By 1870 he was with Standard Oil Co., where his advocating use of pipelines for oil transportation took his company to the top in its field and provided him with a successful career.

No details on his family are provided but a final paragraph states that he was born at Kildysart, Ireland on 6 Feb 1844, was brought to the U.S. early in life, and lived at Ellicottville until 1862. The book containing this biography is entitled
The Men of New York: A Collection of Biographies and Portraits of Citizens of The Empire State, no author stated,
published by George E. Matthews & Co., Buffalo NY, 1898 (a Google book).

Sharon Carberry USA
not researching this surname
Attachments
O'Day photo only.jpg
O'Day photo
O'Day photo only.jpg (131.21 KiB) Viewed 7269 times

smcarberry

Re: Daniel O'Day, Ennis to Albion NY

Post by smcarberry » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Daniel's obituary, which appeared in the New York Times on 14 Sep 1906 (page 7), provides some biographical details.

Sharon Carberry, not related
Dan O'Day, Standard Oil, obit, d.jpg
Dan O'Day, Standard Oil, obit, d.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 7163 times

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:56 pm

Hello Sharon
You will find the history of the name 'O Dea' on http://clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/ge ... homand.htm
The Irish version is O Deaghaidh pronounced O Day - and so when the family left Kildysert in 1840's that is the name they used. The O'Dea family are in business in Kildysert - Undertakers and Hardware, - with other O Dea families in the surrounding area. Could your posting be printed? I am new to this site. Thanks.
Miriam.

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi, Miriam,

The additional info on this family is good to have. A family whose business is hardware must be pleased that one of their own was able to become prosperous by being involved with pipelines. Oddly, my own family has benefited beyond the availability of gas used in our long car trips to distant facilities for genealogy research. My daughter, now back in school for another degree, paid back her college loans by working the standard entry-level job of archaeology students here in the U.S.: out in the fields all day long while conducting assessments of land to be used for new pipelines (just in case there are Indian burial mounds or something else that must be preserved, mandated by law).

Regarding your question on printing my posting, I don't have a good answer, sorry. I believe that the photograph, being from an old book no longer under copyright and taken off a website not claiming copyright, can be printed and placed anywhere, either on this Forum or elsewhere. The article from the New York Times is different, potentially. I used only the portion that provides biographical details, not the whole article, and I have shown it only on this genealogy/history-oriented website which has limited circulation. I think those circumstances fit an exception to copyright law. The New York Times is an ongoing publication of a corporation with all the resources needed to enforce its copyrights. This article appeared in 1906, which is a factor that normally would allow its wide distribution at this time, except that my version of it came off the Internet posting of it by the involved corporation, which may or may not place it back under copyright. I played it safe (I hope) but I cannot authorize its further distribution, myself. I would think that it is o.k. to provide a print-out of this Forum posting in order to hand it over to a small circle of descendants. I hope that helps guide your thoughts on that.

Sharon Carberry

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:48 am

Miriam, here's a good outcome for your question which I answered so inadequately earlier today. I have now found an obituary in a different newspaper, one that is now defunct. It is online on the U.S. government's Library of Congress website,
which does not claim copyright in it. Plus, there is an image of Daniel O'Day as a younger man, and many more details about his life.

Enjoy,
Sharon Carberry
Dan O'Day 14 Sep 1906 p7 NY Tribune, pt1.jpg
Dan O'Day 14 Sep 1906 p7 NY Tribune, pt1.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 7085 times
Dan O'Day NY Trib pt 2.jpg
Dan O'Day NY Trib pt 2.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 7085 times
Dan O'Day NY Tribune pt3.jpg
Dan O'Day NY Tribune pt3.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 7086 times