seeking information on Campbell family Cooraclare area

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

elizabeth gibbons

seeking information on Campbell family Cooraclare area

Post by elizabeth gibbons » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Seeking relatives and/or more information on
Ellen Irene CAMPBELL born 27 Apr 1863 Cooraclare Town,Kilmacduane parish, Clare Co.,Ire died Joliet, IL USA 12 Nov 1928
Father was either Patrick or David or Daniel Campbell depending on source

Are there any relations living in the area? I was always told my relatives in Ireland were shop keepers-- if that is true do the shops still exist or is there any record of this?
Ellen Irene was married to my Great Grandfather John Henry Gibbons on 6 Sept 1881 in St Mary’s Carmelite church (Roman Catholic) which I believe is in Joliet, IL.
John Henry was born Mayo County Ireland 9 Jun 1853 died Joliet IL USA (near Chicago) 12 Apr 1911
his father Thomas Gibbons his mother Mary Connelly(aka Conley) presumably also from County Mayo but unknown.

Ellen Irene and John Henry had 11 kids. The oldest was my grandfather, Thomas Joseph Gibbons. I am told he kept in touch with all the relatives in Ireland but he was born June 29, 1882 and died November 21 1968. He was married in 1912 to Henrietta Brown (b. Feb 17, 1888 died 8 April 1973)
My grandfather was a railroad engineer and had 10 children. Most of his siblings were school teachers. One was the executive secretary of the mayor of a large city. Not bad for children of immigrants, especially with so much prejudice against the Irish in those days.
I live in San Diego, CA USA and have no immediate plans to visit-- although I think that would be fun. My only child is the last of the family with the Gibbons name (Timothy A Gibbons-Griffith). We kept the Gibbons so the name wouldn't die out. I know almost nothing about my father's family. All but one of the 10 children is dead. I thought it might be interesting to know more.

Paddy Casey

Re: seeking information on Campbell family Cooraclare area

Post by Paddy Casey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Elizabeth,

See Daniel Campbell in Kilmacduane around 1855 (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... fithc1.htm). That gives you a couple of townland names. Several Campbells in the 1901 census of those townlands in 1901 at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... Cannon.htm

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Elizabeth

If that Daniel Campbell living in Drumellihy Westropp townland in Kilmacduane parish in 1855 is your ancestor, then we may have cousins in common, living in Hawaii of all places. I'll send you more details in a private message on this forum.

My grandmother's half-brother John McNamara married Sara Campbell in Chicago on 29 Sep 1923. You can see their wedding photograph at
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... .732808946

Paddy

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Elizabeth - that is great info from Paddy Waldron. !! To see lots of info on the Cooraclare area - incl. photos of the cemetery - Kilmacduane - in which Campbells are buried - - log on to http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Research support - Civil Parish Index - and then select Kilmacduane - . There are still Chambers family living in the area.

elizabeth gibbons

Post by elizabeth gibbons » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 pm

The information I was given by Paddy Waldron was very helpful. I have sent a letter to Robert McNamara in Hawaii.
The only missing link is Ellen Irene's baptism records from around 1863 to confirm I have the right family.
I am waiting for the preist to look that up.

I am amazed at the fast response I got on this. It may be the only of my Irish relatives I can trace-- a name like Gibbons is almost impossible to trace in County Mayo records. We are going to try to do the DNA study.

Perhaps I will be able to visit the area with my son in the next couple of years.