Martin and Mary (nee Cusack) Sexton

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Mariepatricia

Martin and Mary (nee Cusack) Sexton

Post by Mariepatricia » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 am

I am researching my great grandfather, Patrick Sexton, baptismal record 18 January 1833 at Kilrush, born to Martin (written as Matt) and Mary (nee Cusack) Sexton. Patrick came to Australia probably no later than the early1850s, married in 1854 in Sydney in St Mary's Cathedral and died in 1863 in South Gippsland, Victoria.

I have checked in in the microfilm of the baptismal register for Kilrush (FHL British Film 979696 item 4) and found his birth.

Patrick, my great grand-father, had siblings as follows :

1. Bridget 24 July 1828
2. Margaret 3 Aug 1829
3. Mitchael 18 Sept 1830
4. Margaret 9 July 1836 (evidently the earlier Margaret had died)
5. Ellen 28 Oct 1839
6. Thomas 2 Dec 1843
7. Matt 15 July 1845
8. John 28 Sept 1849

I saw that the births of Thomas (1843) and Matt (1845) had the address "Moore Street" added.

I have found Moore Street on the digital copy of the Ordnance Survey 1842 six-inch map which you have on your website. Thank you.

In the book "Kilrush from olden times" [1984] by James T. McGuane says that construction of Moore Street started in 1821 and is the oldest street in Kilrush.

I have looked on the Internet and find that Moore Street still exists and contains the Court House and solid two storey buildings.

Can anyone assist me with this famil, please?

All the best from Canberra.

Marie Sexton
6 Hart Cl
Palmerston A C T 2913
Australia
email : msexton@netspeed.com.au

Paddy Casey

Re: Martin and Mary (nee Cusack) Sexton

Post by Paddy Casey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:05 am

in case you haven't already discovered it, marie, you can "drive down" moore street, kilrush, in high resolution with google earth.

paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Matt Sexton is described as "Mr." in the 1826 Tithe Applotments books at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... sh_tab.htm
so he had some local status. He had property in the town and in Ballynote.

The Sexton family seem to have been gone from both places by Griffith's Valuation of 1855: http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ilrush.htm

You can double check this in the later Valuation Office Cancelled Books at
http://www.pwaldron.info/ValuationOffic ... treet.html

There is a Sexton inscription in the churchyard in Moore Street but the date in the transcript at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ptions.htm doesn't fit. Perhaps it has been misread.

The Kilrush Local History Group at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kilrush-L ... 7907517330 may also be able to give you some help.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi - The Cusacks also lived in Ballynote - see family in Census of 1911 at Ballynote East, Kilrush Rural. The house is still there - but other family members living there. Inscription in Church of Ireland cemetery reads - Erected by John Sexton in memory of his mother Mary Sexton who died 2nd April 1880 aged 70 - so born 1809/10 - Marie's Great great Grandmother !!
Census of 1901 shows Mary Sexton aged 60 (so born c 1840/1) living with her daughter, Mary Flemming at Chapel St. - Mary aged 30 -so born c 1870/71 - I would say she is a niece to Patrick. So we need to know the name of her father - check micro film or Bapt. Register - or Marriage Cert. In 1911 Census Fleming family have moved to Stewart St. - note diff.spelling. If Mrs. Mary Fleming is a niece to Patrick - I have further info for you. !! I am 99% sure she is. !!
Paddy - please show ref. nos. for all of your info on Moore St. on the Kilrush Local History Group.
Happy Easter, Miriam.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you want Miriam - is it a link to the comment of 12 Mar 2012 on this thread:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... _id=111824 ?
I'll leave you to match up the Moore Street house numbers from the 1901 and 1911 censuses with those from Slater's directory and Griffith's Valuation!

\pw

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm

There is a guy called louis Gage researching the same family of Sextons and I passed on the same information that you transcribed from the Kilrush Parish Registers. A sister of Patrick Sexton married into his line. He is on genforum genealogy.com. I'll try and post the link here http://genforum.genealogy.com/ireland/c ... s/901.html . I think his e-mail address is lfg30@bellsouth.net

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Hello PJ - would it be possible to check Parish Bapt. Register for Mary Sexton - born c 1870/1 - mother Mary - perhaps her father was a son of Martin & Mary.?? This would link her to Mrs. Mary Flemming (as on Census of 1901) - in Chapel St. - and at Stewart St. in Census of 1911 shown as Fleming. I will be in Kilrush on Wed. next. Happy Easter.

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello Miriam, there was a Mary Sexton born 30 Oct 1870 to Michael Sexton/Ellen Haugh. This Michael could possibly be the son of Matt Sexton/Margaret Cusack. Also when Bridget Sexton who was born in 1828 was baptised a Bridget Haugh was one of the sponsors, so this cpuld be significant.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks, P.J. for info re Mary Sexton born 1870 - Census of 1901 shows 'Mary Sexton - mother to Mrs. Mary Flemming at Chapel St. - It is possible that the Census form is wrong - so we would need a copy of marriage cert. for Daniel Flemming/Fleming to Mary Sexton - to confirm that she is same Mary Sexton - daughter to Michael Sexton. I hope to get to GRO (General Register Office) in Dublin in next few weeks to get a copy of it. There is a different spelling - Fleming - on Census of 1911 - this family includes Margaret and Robert - I am almost sure that it is Mrs. Mago McMahon and her brother Bobby Fleming. Census of 1911 has Mary Fleming aged 40 at Stewart St. - Nurse - - and Mary Flemming aged 40 at Fever Hospital at 'Ballyune - should be Ballyurra - also aged 40 and a nursery nurse. - so she is on Census twice.
Marie - I think your Cusacks come from Moore St. - Griffith Valuations of 1855 shows Patrick Cusack with property there and also in Chapel St. We would need to check Bapt. Records for Cusacks baptised say - 1820 to 1870 or so - for Moore St.

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Miriam, the Cusacks of Moore Street came in from Ballynote East. They are the undertaker family, Vincent (R.I.P.) etc

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi again Miriam, forgot to mention that the Cusack records from 1827 to 1880 approx.are available in the donated material section of genealogy on this website.

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Miriam, Daniel Fleming/Mary Sexton married in Kilrush in the quarter Jul-Sept 1890 per the familysearch site
https://www.familysearch.org/search/col ... on/1408347

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks for that, P.J. I also see on Family Search that 'Ellen Sexton died in 1906' - Census of 1901 is wrong - shown as Mary -should be Ellen - Her husband was Michael Sexton so their daughter, Mary Sexton married Daniel Fleming in 1890 - their children included Margaret and Robert - so that would be Mrs. McMahon - Meda's and Martin Frank's mother. So - Mrs. Fleming would be a first cousin to Marie's Grandfather - their fathers were brothers - and the Fleming family would be 2nd cousins to Maria's father - which leaves Marie being a third cousin to the McMahons !! Unfortunately two of the McMahons died in the last year - - with Martin Frank 'losing his life to save others' in 1956 - monument to him at Cappa Road. I know the McMahon grandchildren are on Facebook.com - Kilrush Local History Group - I must put a mess. there to get in touch with some of them.
Maria - there is a great clean up being done in Church of Ireland cemetery - and a grave with engraving ' P Cusack '- who did the headstone !! That is poss. a brother to Mary. As P.J. says in his posting - the Cusack Marriage and Baptism records are on www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Donated Material - Bapt. & Marriage records. Genealogy page will also show that Jane Sexton had property on High St. That much will do for now !! Miriam.

andersoncathy10

Post by andersoncathy10 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 am

Patrick Hallinan Death Certificate.pdf
(192 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Hi. I have been researching the Howard's, McInerney's and the Hallinan's who all tie into my partmers family. On Patrick Hallinans death certificate is the Name Mary Cusack. It may not be the one you are looking for, as my certificates are all from the Bendigo area. Hope this is of some help.
Cathy