Baptism Registers of Kilfarboy and Kilmurry Parish 1832-1839

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Kevin J. O'Brien

Baptism Registers of Kilfarboy and Kilmurry Parish 1832-1839

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

The Parishes of Kilmurry-Ibrickane and Kilfarboy were a parish unit for 600 years. Today they are known as Mullagh and Miltown Malbay. In 1839 the parish priest, Fr. Anthony McGuane died and the parishes were separated.

The recording of baptism and marriage for the combined parishes started in early 1832. After 1839 Mullagh (Kilmurry-Ibrickane) kept their baptism and marriage register.

If searching church records in the Mullagh (Kilmurry-Ibrickane Parish) and your family was living there in the 1832-1839 period you may want to look at the Miltown Malbay (Kilfarboy Parish) and see if they are listed in the Miltown Malbay record.

My g-g-grandmother, Bridget Gorman of Shanaway was baptized in 1834 along with her twin brothers in 1832. I found them listed in the Miltown Records. The early records that are on microfilm are difficult to decipher but a careful search can bring rewards. Most baptisms have the townland listed but very few with sponsors.

I have noticed that if you are using the indexed copies that the parish offices now have and permit genealogists to view, you will find that there are families listed with baptisms taking place between 1832 - 1839 and then stop. This is a good indication that this family may have lived in a townland that joined the new Mullagh Parish in 1839. If there is a family in the index you suspect may be yours, you will have to look at the originals to see what townland the family was living. The indexes do not have the townland listed.

I found family members from the Power family of Emlagh, Mullagh and O’Neill family of Shanaway, Mullagh having baptisms in the 1832-1838 Miltown Malbay registers and later in the Mullagh registers that start in 1839.

Good Luck in your search.
KOB