Thomas Shannon of Kilrush

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

ronnocog

Thomas Shannon of Kilrush

Post by ronnocog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 am

Shannon history post

I am researching the family history of my great grandmother Annie Shannon (1842-1882).
Her father was Thomas Shannon (abt 1800-1861) and her mother Honora nee Casey (1809-1862).

Thomas and Honora Casey migrated to Victoria, Australia in 1854, arriving on the Albatross in July. The port of departure was Liverpool. It was an unassisted passage with Thomas and Honora bringing their family:
James 20
Michael 16
Jane 13
Annie 11
Thomas 9

Thomas occupation given on the ship record is Gent.

The death certificates of Thomas, Honora and Annie advises they were all born in County Clare, with Thomas providing the further detail that he was born in Kilrush. Honora's death certificate advises that she had 6 deceased children other than those that came to Australia.

Annie married my great grandfather (Michael O'Connor) in 1859.

I have done some research of Shannon's from Kilrush. The only record I have been able to find is a Thomas Shannon at Craggaknock East (through the Griffith Valuation).

Any assistance would be greatly appreaciated.

Regards

Gary O'Connor :D

Lucille

Re: Thomas Shannon of Kilrush

Post by Lucille » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Gary

These graveyard entries on the Clare Library site might be of relevance
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... s_west.htm

There is a Shannon in Ballymacrinan, mentioned in the above inscription, in Griffiths
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... lymacrinan

Have you scoured this site clarelibrary.ie - there is so much there.

Good luck

Lucille

pj.culligan

Post by pj.culligan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm

The name Shannon derives from the Irish name Mac Giolla tSeanáin http://www.libraryireland.com/names/mac ... eanain.php
In English Giltenane. Mac Giolla means Son of the Saint, tSeanáin (Senan) the patron Saint of Kilrush Parish and born at Molougha just outside Kilrush. They say the Shannon River the longest river in Ireland is named after St.Senan. Literally speaking Mac Giolla tSeanáin translates as Sons of the follower of St.Senan. A note in the Parish Registers for St. Senan's Church states that the name Shannon and Giltenane appear to be the same in this parish. In the registers you will find some children of a family baptised under the name Shannon and others of the same family under the name Giltenane. The name Shannon seems to have taken over in the late 1850's. The Parish records begin in 1827 for baptism's and 1828 for marriages. I copied the indexes for the name Shannon some years ago whilst researching my own family so here are the records that I have for your family:-
Thomas Giltenane / Honor Casey had the following children baptised in Kilrush, Sinon 7 Mar 1829, Honor 24 Aug 1834, Thomas 6 July 1835, Nancy (Anne),15 July 1839, Thomas 22 Mar 1842, Darby (Jeremiah), 16 May 1845. There may have been others between 1831/32
but there is a gap in the registers for those years and there may also be others that were not recorded. You should hire the microfilm of the parish records from your nearest family history library centre, it's microfilm no.British Film 979696, along with confirming the above it will tell you which townland they came from in the Kilrush area or the street they lived in if they lived within the town. You will notice there are two Thomas's above which probably means the first died in infancy.
Hope this is of some help to you in your research.

ronnocog

Post by ronnocog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Thank you very much Lucille and PJ Culligan :D

ronnocog

Post by ronnocog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:34 am

:) Hi

I thought I would place a post to update those who viewed this post, in particular Lucille and PJ Culligan.

I borrowed the LDS film of baptisms for Kilrush and found that my Great Great Grandmother (Anne/Nancy) was born in Ballymacrenan on 15 July 1859. I also found a few Casey's in Ballymacrenan, Anne's mother was a Casey and a daughter of Robert Casey. I also found an Ejectment Record for a Robert Casey of Ballymacrenan in 1834 on the Clare Library website and a Michael Casey as a tenant recorded in the Griffith Valuation for Ballymacrenan in 1855. Michael Casey is recorded as a sponsor for the baptismal record for Anne as he is for a number of children of a Martin Casey, who was married to Mary Madigan.

With regard to Shannon I noted a Martin Shannon as a father for the birth of a Michael in Sept 1846. Martin's wife's name was something like Ellen Donlan. Thomas Shannon was a sponsor.

I noted that in the Griffith Valuation there is a James Shannon (a neighbour of Michael Casey). I'm continuing to try to transcribe the LDS film to see if there are any possible links.

If there remains any Shannon or Casey in the Ballymacrenan area I would be keen to make contact.

Cheers and thanks again

Gary

mgallery

Post by mgallery » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 pm

The name Donlan was probably modern day spelling Donellan if that is of any help.

There were Caseys who were a landowning family around Quilty Kilmurry Ibricken and also in Kilfarboy. You will find them in Burkes peerage. If they were the same family it couls be why robert called himself gent. If you find a connection there are descendants of that family living around Spanish Point Miltown Malbay and farming still. One of them said to me that a cousin had all of the family trees. I never pursued it I passed on the contact as I am not personally interested in Caseys.
Margaret

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Gary - sorry for delay - a few family commitments. = There are still Shannon families in the area - esp. in Dysert and Clooneylissaun which joins area of Ballymacrinan - to see these areas = go to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Research Support and then Civil Parish Index - then select KILLIMER - this parish joins Kilrush parish - and the records were under Kilrush way back in early 1800's. - Bapt. Records for Kilrush started in 1827. Select 'Townlands in Parish' - and you will the areas = just west of Dysert is Ballynote East - which is in Kilrush parish. Miriam.