McGinnis family from Clare

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Beth Schroeder

McGinnis family from Clare

Post by Beth Schroeder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I am researching my paternal great grandfather, Daniel McGinnis (1830-1886) who emigrated from Clare as a young single man in 1850 to Mobile, Alabama, USA. His much older sister Bridget Magennis married Cornelius Noonan in Clare and there are baptismal records for their children in O’Callaghan Mills RC parish. Those records give the “abode” for Bridget and Cornelius as Ballymacdonnell. This couple left Clare with their children in 1849 and settled in Iowa, USA. Daniel and Bridget had siblings Ellen and Michael who emigrated about the same time to the U.S.

A letter from Daniel to Bridget in 1867 indicated their parents were deceased. We think it is unlikely the parents left Clare.
I have exhausted all sources I can think of here for learning the parents’ names and which Clare Magennis/McGuiness family they came from. The Clare Tithe Applotment records list eight McGuiness men (multiple spellings), mostly in East Clare. Would it be worthwhile to pay for research in Clare? And if so, should the choice be the East Clare Heritage Center or the main Clare Heritage Center in Corofin? My sister and I are planning a trip to Dublin and Clare next year. We plan to visit the National Library, etc. Should we save our money and do our own research then?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Beth McGinnis Schroeder in Colorado, USA

Declan Barron

Re: McGinnis family from Clare

Post by Declan Barron » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,
As to research in Clare
Clare Heritage Center will just give you parish records, Griffith's Valuation, The Tithes, the 1901 census and possibly some Civil Registration records (post 1864).
East Clare Heritage would be a better bet as they will also visit the locality, ask questions there (to or about possible relatives) and visit the local cemetery (if they haven't already transcribed it). They would also be less expensive.

As you are looking for very early records your search will not be easy,
Have you got the names of all the sponsors/witnesses are the baptisms ?
Have you checked for all other Mcgenniss that moved to your part of Alabama ? as other relatives might have come before them or, afterwards, to them,
If all else fails it may be necessary to research all the Mcgennis (and variants) families in Co. Clare.
Of those listed in the Tithes James McGennis in Iragh would look the most likely. Those listed in Feakle are a lot further away.
A Google search for "Cornelius Noonan" shows one moving to Co. Cork circa 1860 - as yours is not listed in Clare in Griffith's it might be a possibility - if he didn't die or emmigrate ?
Best of luck,
Declan

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 am

It is not clear whether Beth has communicated with the three others who have been researching the Noonan-Magennis family. See these postings, in which the others have the children's baptismal records; they have this family in or near Feakle:

2002 postings by Barb Santora and Patricia Martin
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1030615051
and by Alan Boyle
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1021146151

This might be Bridget's brother:
Feakle graveyard
McGenniss, Cornelius d. November 6, 1896 age 75 b. 1821 Gurrane [townland]
http://foto.clarelibrary.ie/fotoweb/Gri ... mit=Search...

Another brother ?
James MaGennis b. 1830 Feakle, d. 1878 Australia
http://colston-wenck.com/getperson.php? ... lstonwenck

Ellis Island arrivals of MaGennis/McGuinniss from Feakle, Laccaroe, and Garrane
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... grants.htm

Contacting as many other descendants as possible may lead to a pooling of information, which could be productive.

Good luck with that,
Sharon Carberry
Not related but interested in Noonan of/near Killuran

Beth Schroeder

Post by Beth Schroeder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Wow! Thanks for the prompt replies.
Declan,
Your feedback on what to expect from the two heritage centers will be very helpful.
We do have baptismal sponsor names and there are clues there.
No known connections with other McGinnis families in the U.S.
Re the Tithe McGuiness possibles, I suspect these men may have been related. And Bridget and Cornelius did live in Ballymacdonnell per the baptismal records of their children, but could this be the hometown for Cornelius’s Noonan family? His wife Bridget and her Magennis family could have come from another town in Clare. Geography can be another clue, but I’m not putting too much weight on the Ballymacdonnell location. Kyle and Gurrane don’t seem too far away to be possible.
The Cornelius Noonan married to Bridget Magennis (my gr-grandfather’s sister) definitely emigrated in 1849.

Sharon,
Thanks for the links. I am familiar with some of these already. And your statement about pooling info with other descendants is dead on. I have recently been communicating with Australian McGuinesses and have learned a great deal from them. I also have been in touch with a Noonan descendant in the U.S. and shared info. Tried to reach Alan Boyle (also a distant Noonan cousin), but no response. Mostly we have only descendant info. The Australians know a little more. Another Daniel McGuiness immigrated to NSW in 1841 and a record for him says his parents were James and Martha and that he was a native of Fahel, Clare. They think the James in Iragh in the Tithe is their likely ancestor. Their Daniel (older than ours but same generation) was married to Mary Tuohy and had children baptized in O’Callaghan Mills parish with abode for them given as Iragh, so they have a link to that community. The James you mentioned is in their line. He came as a child with his parents, Daniel and Mary.
Another Australian family has documented their line to the Michael Magennis in Gurrane in the Tithe records. The Cornelius McGeniss on the tombstone was the son of this Michael. And Cornelius’s daughter Bridget was their immigrant ancestor. Other descendants of this Michael ended up in the U.S. Many of those later Ellis Island records are members of this family.

So, we have many clues to this puzzle but no clear solution yet. Still searching and your input is appreciated.

Beth McGinnis Schroeder

smcarberry

Post by smcarberry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Tulla to Feakle map.jpg
Tulla to Feakle map.jpg (124.19 KiB) Viewed 30777 times
I have seen some potential leads while reviewing my Killuran notes. I was refreshing my memory of prior research done on Thomas Lucas, who went to Canada in 1848 on the same ship as a Tynan (a Tynan intermarried with my own Carberry family of East Clare). The Lucases of East Clare (locations included Munmore Farm of Moymore, Tulla town, and Gurtalassa townland linked with Killuran) also had a deep association with the Meehans, who also intermarried with my Carberry family. Thomas Lucas married (1867) Bridget While after he re-settled in the Rochester NY area. Thomas's apparent brother Joseph, who immigrated to Ontario Province in 1840 and who stayed there, had married Margaret Noonan, and thus my notice of the Noonan family of East Clare

I show below the barest outline of some pertinent records. There really is a lot more data already placed online by descendants, very scattered in nature. I have pulled it together in order to relate it to the Lucas family, in a report generated for a descendant of Thomas, a portion of which has been posted here on this Forum and can be found using the search word "Coburg." What Beth may want to know is that the Noonan family also has ties to the Howards of upper East Clare (Cornelius's daughter married Thomas Howard) for whom Paddy Casey of this Forum is the fount of information and also to the McDowell family of Tom McDowell of this Forum (the donor of huge numbers of East Clare graveyard transcriptions, among other things). There is a potential for amassing a very big picture out of all this data, but it can be a bit overwhelming without excellent organization and a sure handle on how East Clare families referred to their home places.

I am uploading a map section from a publication by Gerard Madden, who operates the East Clare Heritage Centre, which I agree with Declan as being the obvious choice for a research resource on a commissioned basis. The places in data on the Lucas, Noonan, and Meehan families involves locations that are quite spread around upper East Clare. Moymore, associated with Tulla in the below data, does not even appear on this map as it is farther to the left. I just returned from
Ennis in January, where I was reviewing several parish films now in the collection of the Clare County Library. I am finding the same clusters of families in several films, including Tulla, Doora-Kilraghtis, and O'Callaghan Mills, all in the same two generations. Then a significant number pack up and start spreading out globally.

Sharon C.

one descendant's info:
Joanna Noonan was baptised at Tulla,Co.Clare...daughter of Patrick Noonan and Bridget(McDool).The Catholic parish register of Tulla begins in 1819 and was examined from 1814 to 1870. No entry for the marriage of Patrick and Bridget were found,but 4 children were baptised...It shows that they were were born on Glandree or Glandreen townland in Tulla parish.

Tulla RC parish
22 May 1821 Nuran, Terence Tulla
Nuran, Darby, McGrath, Alley
Browne, George, Hennify, Mary Tulla
[above data listed by a McGrath descendant; Noonan is the likely surname,
ditto Hennesy for Hennify.]

1822 marriage [my transcription]
March 2
Patrick Halloran, Moymore, Mary Howard, Ranna
wit: Thomas Howard, Ranna
Michael Hasset, Moymore
Bridget Howard, Liskennee

1828 baptism [my transcription]
January: date before 20th
Bridget [of] Jos Lucas, Peg Nunan [of] Moymore
sp: Thos Cunningham, Biddy Noonan

Tithe Applotment records, 1825
Lessee Those holding the lease:
Lucas, Charles, Gurtnalassa, Killuran, Charles Lucas, Jno & Tedy Nunan
Halloran Will'm Gurtnalassa Killuran Will'm Halloran & Charles Lucas
Nunan Jno Gurtnalassa Killuran Charles Lucas, Jno & Tedy Nunan
Nanan, Tedy “ “
Lucas Th's Moymore Tulla
Lucas Jos'h Moymore Tulla
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... an_tab.htm

Parish of O'Callaghan Mills baptisms [Ernene Smedley's transcriptions]:
Baptism 15 Mar 1835 Patrick
[of] Patrick Noonan and Mary Meehan, Kilurin [Killuran]
sp: Thomas Lucas, Mary Lucas

1843 January: a date between 24 and 28
Bridget [of] James Noonan, Anne Meehan, [of] Gurtnalassa
sp: Catherine Carter

1855 Griffiths Valuation
Mary White Tulla Town: Chapel St Tulla Tulla
next to Charles Lucas [thought to be elderly, his last official record]
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... /tulla.htm

JSinkovitz@aol.com Jacqueline posting on the Rootsweb Clare list
Subject: Munmore Farms to Canada 1840 Date: 30 Jan 2003
I was wondering if anyone knows of a Munmore Farms located near Tulla, Co. Clare and if it still exists. I am researching Joseph Lucas and Margaret Noonan, tenant farmers on Munmore Farms who came to Canada on the ship James Cook in 1840.

Patrick Meehan
Born: ABT. 1824 at Newmarket on Fergus Co, Clare
Married: ABT. 1854 at: Lockport, New York
Died: 1892 at: Lindsay Ontario, Canada Wife: Ellen Lucas Born: 1834 at: Tulla, Moymore, Co. Clare Ireland.
Died: 8 MAY 1897 at: Downeyville Ontario Canada Father:Joseph Lucas Mother:Margaret Peggy Noonan http://www.kellymcdonnell.com/fam/fam00062.html

ship LIVERPOOL Liverpool to NYC arrived 02/05/1848
LUCAS THOS. age 24 Ireland CANADA
TYNON MICHL. age 20 Ireland CANADA
PEPPER JOHN age 21 Ireland CANADA
McNAMARA MICHL. age 20 Ireland CANADA

1852 census Canada, Ontario Province
West Northumberland (county) Hamilton township
Lucas, Ann age 18 b. Ireland
same twp:
White, Patrick Labourer Ireland Roman Catholic age 67
White, Sabrina Ireland Roman Catholic age 50
White, Patrick Labourer Ireland Roman Catholic age 20 [went to MI]
White, Robert Canada Roman Catholic age 1? [actually 10]

1860 NY Monroe Co. Perinton
White
Patrick 76 Ire day laborer
Sabine 66 Ire
Robert 18 Canada RR labor

1870 NY Monroe Co., Perinton twp, Penfield PO
Lucas
Thos 50 Ire lab'r
Bridget 37 “ [nee White]
Mary A. 17 NY
Michael 12
Margaret 10
Robert 7
Charles 5
Sab(r)ina 2
Catharine b. Apr
next to
White
Robert 28 Canada works on RR
Margaret 29 Ire
Mary 4 NY
Catharine 2 “
Margaret 1 “

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi,
Before commissioning any research here in Clare I would exhaust all the avenues abroad first. If you can find Bridget Noonan's details it might give her parents names and where she was born.
Declan

Beth Schroeder

Post by Beth Schroeder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Sharon & Declan,

Thanks to you both for the input. I agree that the volume of information available is daunting and I hope someone (maybe the heritage centers?) is working on compiling Clare family information from all sources. I’m trying to keep my focus right now on the Magennis families in Clare and any avenue for learning more about them.

I do know about The Howard connection. Mary Noonan (Bridget’s daughter) married Thomas Howard in 1856. I don’t know of a McDowell connection with that Noonan family. My main source, a descendant of Bridget and Cornelius, does not have any McDowell in his file. I would not assume these families necessarily knew each other in Clare prior to emigrating. When I look at information online about these early Irish settlers in Iowa, they represent nearly every county in Ireland. This website has obituaries and bios for about fifty Clare folks who ended up in Iowa. Just click on Data by County to find them. http://www.celticcousins.net/irishiniowa/index.htm Didn’t find my Noonan people there, but did find some of them on a list on this website of those buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery in Garryowen, Jackson County. My distant Noonan cousin already had this burial info in his file.

The Alan Boyle mentioned earlier has a website with descendant info for Michael Boyle: http://family.boyle.net/michael/default.htm He includes this statement: “According to the family saga, he worked with other Irishmen on New York's ship canals, then made his way to the Midwest as a railroad laborer.” My distant Noonan cousin has this statement in his file: “When Cornelius first came to America about 1849 he worked on the widening of the Erie Canal in New York State.” So, there’s a good chance Michael Boyle and Cornelius Noonan, each born in Clare, actually got to know each other in NY prior to becoming neighbors in Garryowen, Iowa.

We do know from an 1867 letter from Daniel to Bridget that a Dan O’Brien arrived in Mobile in 1865 with his sister Mary and that their sister Ann was in St.Louis. These were apparently old friends from Clare. If I can track down that O’Brien family in Clare it might be a clue. Unfortunately, all of these names are so common.

In the 1850 Mobile census, just after arrival, Daniel was living with a family named Cherry. We don’t know if he knew them, was related to them or was just a boarder.

I agree, Declan, with exhausting all possible sources before paying for help. On a recent trip back to Mobile, Alabama to visit family, my sister and I went again to the courthouse and looked at old naturalization records on microfilm. We were hoping to see the actual petition and that it might contain a townland or parents names. No luck. We were able to confirm year of immigration for Daniel (1850) and for Michael (1851). We have also searched the newspapers on microfilm, but the obituary does not have this info. No death record exists. I have a written request in to the Catholic records Archive in Mobile to ask if any records exist from 1886 for the St. Patrick Benevolent Assn or the Knights of Columbus. He was a founding member of these organizations and they might have honored him in meeting minutes. The Archive will not allow direct public access to their records and charge a fee per record. My sister paid some years ago for whatever McGinnis records they had from that era.

I’m still working on this puzzle. Tried to add a few old photos, but can't figure out the system here.

Beth Schroeder

Beth Schroeder

Post by Beth Schroeder » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Here's the old photos. Had to downsize them. Daniel McGinnis, Bridget McGinnis Noonan and Mary Noonan Howard (standing).
Attachments
Mary Noonan Howard 1839-1927 Thumb.jpg
Mary Noonan Howard 1839-1927 Thumb.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 30721 times
Bridget McGinnis Noonan 1815-1889 Thumb.jpg
Bridget McGinnis Noonan 1815-1889 Thumb.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 30721 times
Daniel McGinnis 1831-1886 Thumb.jpg
Daniel McGinnis 1831-1886 Thumb.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 30721 times

sking85111

Post by sking85111 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm

I am also researching the McDowell/Noonan family. I was able to to trace the family back to Tulla. I am related to Johanna Noonan (Johanna Beatrice) daughter of Patrick Noonan and Bridget Agnes McDowell. Johanna is my great grandmother's sister. There were four children, 3 girls and 1 boy that I am aware of. Johanna and my great grandmother Bridget traveled to New Zealand together on the May Queen on November of 1879. Johanna met her future husband, Michael Walshe, on the ship and settled in in Pahiatua, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand. Together they had 9 children. Johanna died on September 6, 1938.
Bridget Agnes Noonan returned to Ireland from New Zealand alone in 1883. Bridget married Michael Love and settled in Wicklow. He was a member of the RIC. Together they had 9 children. James Patrick, John Francis, Maria Anna (Mary Anne) Michael Joseph, William Henry, Thomas Agustus or Augustine, Bridget Christina ( My Grandmother), Catherine Winifred, and Elizabeth. I Believe my great grandfather was from Nothern Ireland, in an area called Boho. The family eventually left Wicklow and moved to Belfast living at 16 Chief Street on the Crumlin Road. the children, Bridget, Elizabeth and John came to the States, John in 1906, he came to his Aunt Maria Wenger. Bridget and Elizabeth came together in 1922. William and James went to their Aunt Johanna Noonan Walshe in New Zealand. William married and had no children while James lost his life in World War 1 in 1917. Thomas was an RIC officer, who joined the Irish Guards and also lost his life in 1915. Catherine and Mary Anne stayed in Belfast, where many of their family members live today. Michael settled in Louisburgh Mayo. Bridget noonan Love died in Belfast in 1931, her husband in 1921, they are buried in Miltown Cemetary in Belfast.
Bridget and Johanna's sister, Maria, came to the states where she married a man named Albert Wenger and settled in CookCounty Chicago, Illinois. It is believed she had 11 children with nine surviving. I am working on tracing them.
I know nothing about William Noonan born in 1862, however some information suggests he may have come to the states and settled in Chicago near his sister. There is a Michael Noonan born in 1840, that one relative believes is another child of Patrick Noonan, not sure if he is Bridget Mcdowell's son.
I would appreciate any information you may have on the Mcdowells or Nonnans, as I am unable to locate anything further on them.

jandg.nz

Post by jandg.nz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:36 am

skiing9511 - Your great grandmother and mine were sisters. My great grandmother Johanna Beatrice settled in Umutaoroa (a farming area out of Dannevirke). This is quite close to Pahiatua as you had in your post. I'd like to send you a copy of a postcard I believe is from your great grandmother Bridget to her neice Win (Johannas daughter) about Williams death. Many family members still live in the area. I have just started looking at the family history, but I know others have more information than I do. My name is Jo McNair(nee Walshe) - not sure if we are allowed to share e-mails on here, but let me know if you are interested in making contact and we can take it from there.

sking85111

Post by sking85111 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi, Nice to meet you~ I am and have been in touch with Theresa Coles (Nee Walshe), who is Johanna's grand daughter.

I have through my research been able to contact some of the other great granddaughters of Bridget Noonan and Michael Walshe.

I would love to see the postcard! Are you on ancestry.com? If so I have a public tree under Scanlon Love,

sking85111

Post by sking85111 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:56 pm

My Email is sking85111@aol.com, My name is Brigid King