1926 Irish census may become available

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

1926 Irish census may become available

Post by smcarberry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I have re-read the Forum's welcome message and believe this topic to be acceptable. I hesitate to make this kind of posting because it could potentially result in posting of commercial or political messages, which are not right for this space. However, the subject of a current petition is definitely genealogical in nature and comes from an well-respected
gen. organization, sent to me by a respected U.S. genealogist from a respected Irish genealogist. I offer it for your
consideration. The message being circulated is set forth below in its entirety. I am sure that the referenced website
has further information if you need it.

Thank you for your consideration,
Sharon Carberry USA

"Dear Friends of CIGO,

Just a quick note to thank you for your support for the Council of Irish Genealogical Organisation's (CIGO) campaign to open the Irish Republic's 1926 Census. Access to this valuable resource, the first census taken after the foundation of the State, will prove to be of immense help to those seeking ancestors born in Ireland before the commencement of civil
registration in 1864.

We currently have nearly a 1000 signatures already gathered, but we still need many, many more if we are going to achieve success with the campaign.

If you haven't already done so, then PLEASE pass on our need for signatures to everyone you know and ask them to do likewise. We really need this campaign to spread like wild-fire, nationally and internationally. You can access the petition here:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/1926C

Success will not be achieved without public support, so please join us today!

With warmest good wishes,

Steven Smyrl

Executive Liaison Officer, CIGO
http://www.cigo.ie"