O'Keefe of Kilmicadhuan

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Larzus

O'Keefe of Kilmicadhuan

Post by Larzus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm

I am researching the family of Patrick O'Keefe, corporal of the 99th Lanarkshire Regiment of Foot. British Military records have him born 1811 in Kilmicadhuan near Kilrush, Clare. He was 'attested' at Ennis on 21 January 1831. He married - somewhere, sometime - Jane Kelly. He had an illustrious early career (details not given in records) and became a corporal in 1837.

In 1840 he was court-martialled for making away with 'smart money' in Coleraine, Ireland and rank reduced. Four years later he was reinstated a Corporal. At about this time he came to Australia on a ship, guarding convicts. He eventually retired in Australia.

My questions:

Where is/was Kilmicadhuan? I cannot find any mention of it on any online source. What are possible spelling variations? I'm thinking he was Roman Catholic, if that helps, although later children were all baptised at Anglican Military chapels.

O'Keefe and its variants are not as common as many other names for Kilrush in the forums. Does that mean it was not a local name?

Also, what are some resources I can turn to - books, people, tv programs? In my experience you don't get far with family research without understanding their life and environment. I'm embarking on a whole new county here and would love to learn more. There are many books on Ireland and some on Clare available locally but if it is anything like Australia, some are written for popular appeal and I want the real stuff, that locals consider accurate.

Thank you all for your time. Any information at all would be lovely. In the meantime, I will slowly make my way through the forums and learn what I can about the Kilrush/Ennis localities, in case it helps.

Irene

miriam scahill

Re: O'Keefe of Kilmicadhuan

Post by miriam scahill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Hello Irene - I think the place you are looking for is KILMACDUANE which is a townland / 'neighbourhood' - mainly farming area near the village of Cooraclare and about 6 or 7 miles north of the town of Kilrush. Ironically the name of the parish is also Kilmacduane. To see more about the area - log on to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Research Support (at bottom r of page) and then select Civil Parish Index - and then Kilmacduane. Lots of info and photos. I am sure there are still O Keeffes in the Cooraclare area. Miriam.

Larzus

Post by Larzus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 am

Hi Miriam,

At first glance, this looks really positive. The O'Keefes referenced have the right family names and seem to be living as I was expected. Plus there are many Kellys. This is very exciting! Plus I finally have a starting point. Thank you.

Irene

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Happy searching, Irene !! I looked at Graveyard Inscriptions and I see there is a tomb for O Keeffes - daughter died c 1840's aged 20 - so that would match your dates. I also had a quick look at local phone book and there is an O Keeffe living in Cooraclare. To do further research you would need to see Bapt. Register - the records are on micro film and held at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/librar ... studi1.htm - you could write/email mailbox@clarelibrary.ie requesting ref. no. of Film for Kilmacduane Parish, Diocese of Killaloe. There are many families called Kelly in the area. I don't know if there is a Parish Office at St. Senan's Church, Cooraclare, Kilrush, Co. Clare. Miriam.

Larzus

Post by Larzus » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Miriam,

Thank you for your advice. I am busily following it all up. Just wanted to post to say I haven't just vanished, had some busy times and sending snail mail letters.

I very much appreciate the assistance, I have much to learn. I am slowly working my way through the materials provided by the County Clare library which are a wonderful help.

I notice that my Patrick enlisted in Castleclare near Ennis on the very day (21 Jan 1831) that the Terry Alts murdered William Blood at Applevale near Corofin. Incredible to me that I can place him so near a well known event. He was certainly living in unsettled times.

Irene

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:29 pm

This is my second try to send a mess. !! I see your posting on Kilrush Local History Grouop - and it confirms that O Keefes are still in Cooraclare !! There is another posting above re Campbells who would have been in Cooraclare around the same time as your ancestors. !! I hope you managed to see photos of the parish on Clare Library. Miriam.