looking for O'Shaughneesy, Finucane roots

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

edoshaugh

looking for O'Shaughneesy, Finucane roots

Post by edoshaugh » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I am trying to find information on my Clare ancestors. The family names are O'Shaughnessy and Finucane. John O'Shaughnessy married Ellen Finucane. We have estimates of Ellen's years of life as 1808-1869. She died in Montreal, Canada. John was a tailor by trade. We don't know what happened to John. We have found no record of him in Montreal, except by reference to family relationships, e.g widow of.., son of ..etc. John and Ellen had 6 sons, as best we know, and they emigrated in the mid-19th Century for Montreal. The sons were Jeremiah (1834-1880), Michael (1836-1911), William, (1838-1896), David (1841-1859), Daniel (1842-1914) and my great grandfather Edward (1848-1923). My great grandfather visited Clare in the summer of 1888 to find his ancestors and living relatives. He was a witness to the evictions on the Vandeleur estate in Kilrush, probably by mere coincidence. He returned home telling the family that their ancestors, perhaps only one generation before, once lived in the township of Coolmeen, Kilfiddane parish. Today we have no story or data for his belief, but we do find a Lucy O'Shaughnessy listed as a tenet of Lucy Finucane in the 1855 Griffith's valuation lists in Coolmeen. Anyone know any more of the details?
Ed O'Shaughnessy

miriam scahill

Re: looking for O'Shaughneesy, Finucane roots

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:15 am

Hello - I did a bit of research for you on www.clarelibrary.ie Genealogy page - and hope the following is useful :
There are Finucanes and O'Shaughnessys living along side each other in 1901 at SLIEVEDOOLEY KILLOFIN and there are Fureys nearby in LAKYLE NORTH. I also see under 'Church Records' that the address of the Parish Priest is Coolmeen. The Baptismal Register starts in 1845 and Marriages from 1837. I think the Parish has a website at COOLMEEN. To see more info on the parish log on to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Research Support and select 'Civil Parish Index' - and then select Killofin. It looks to be a very small area - so it might be useful to see nearby parish of Kilfiddane.

edoshaugh

Re: looking for O'Shaughnessy, Finucane roots

Post by edoshaugh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 am

Thank you for your response to my question about O'Shaughnessy-Finuncane family relationships. Killofin and Kilfiddane are neighbors, so the information my great grandfather brought back appears accurate. Since these families were large in 1901, and the heads of both households were farmers in their 40s, it is a safe assumption to assume that they were there in 1888, when my great grandfather went looking for them. I will now renew my efforts to track down descendants of these families.
Ed

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Ed - Your GG Grandfather was indeed right - and there is a great page on www.clarelibrary.ie- Genealogy - Evictions in Kilrush Union 1849 - I see Sinon Finucane was evicted in Coolmeen/Slievedooley area. Across the page there is 'Donated Material' = Family Histories - and you will see Vandeleur Family with a chapter on Evictions in 1888 or so. One of that family lived in Cahircon House - that too far from your ancestors.

edoshaugh

Post by edoshaugh » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm

I do know about the evictions, and have seen what the clare library has. I am also trying to get the book written by Noel Mulqueen in 1988 about that event. My grandfather was quite shocked by what he saw, and, as an indication he recognized this as a significant historical event, he managed to get photographs taken on the scene. I suspect he purchased copies from the photographers who were covering the event. His son, my grandfather, inherited the photos. Sadly, they have long ago disappeared.

We were in Clare in 1983, but we did not have the information I have now. We bumped into some O'Shaughnessys around Gort, Galway, but were unable to learn much. Next time we visit I will be better informed, and maybe will have found distant cousins by then. I hope so.

murf

Post by murf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:49 am

One small clue here may be the fact that John O'Shaughnessy was a tailor. Certain occupations were often handed down within families through many generations. I notice that husband and wife Patrick and Mary O'Shaughnessy were tailors in Kilrush in the 1901 census. Could be a possible connection?

edoshaugh

Post by edoshaugh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:55 am

Could be. Great grandfather John O'Shaughnessy was definitely a tailor in Clare in the early-to-mid 19th Century. Of his six sons who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, three were tailors. One grandson was a tailor.

edoshaugh

Post by edoshaugh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 am

Opps. I see I'm getting my ancestors confused. John O'Shaughnessy, the tailor in Clare, was my great great grandfather. My great grandfather, Edward, was the one who visited Clare in 1888.