Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

miriam scahill

Re: Thomas Sexton & Susannah Anglim

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi girls !! A cousin of mine in U.S. ordered a copy of the Kilrush Bapts. from her 'Family History Centre' - maybe you could look into that. As you will see from all the info on the Knockanalban area - there are several families called Looney - and in other parts of the parish as well. The name is mentioned a lot of Kevin O Brien's blog. Lucille mentions a sponsor in her info.

Annie

Post by Annie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 am

Thanks Lucille....that is so good of you. Not sure I'll still be around when they get to Clare! Have had a quick look at that site....may have found some of my Dad's rels from his mother's side, from Dublin. Will wait to hear from you before I go to our local Library as Miriam suggested....that may be what I will have to do.....would love to get my hands on some copies to add to my others. If there is anything I can do for you here, just sing out!

And Miriam......silly me not recognising the Looney name! Wasn't sure if you were having an Irish joke with an Aussie! Cause I have been know to be a bit looney at times!

Thanks.

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 am

Annie,

I can send send you copies of the baptisms if you haven't received them as of yet.

Your family is from Mount Scot, Knockanalban, Parish of Kilmurry-Ibrickane, Co. Clare.

You can email me at KilmurryIbrickaneOBriens@gmail.com

Cheers,
Kevin

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi Annie,

Good news and bad! I have the records printed but no extra siblings could be found. I have prints of the record of the marriage of Thomas Sexton and Joanna Anglim in 1846 (I still can't work out his address), and of the births of Honora Sexton in 1847 and Thomas Sexton in 1849 so if you email me at lucillemellis@gmail.com I can send you scans of these prints, and if you like to give me your snail mail address I can post you the "original" copies. I must warn you that the quality is not great, but they do look authentically old!

I went as far as 1859 but could find no more Sexton/Anglim births. However I did find Thomas Sexton and Johanna Anglim as witnesses in March 1854 to a birth of Mary Power, dau of John Power and Bridget Halloran of Mount Scot -so at least you know that they were alive in that part of the country in 1854. Using the maiden name of Johanna when she was married is a little unusual. I did find two other Anglims giving birth in the area if you want to pursue the family more widely - Penny Anglim and Pat Linnane of Cloonadrum, and Mary Anglim and Michael Flynn of Rhine.

Lucille

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 pm

I have wondered for many years just how usual or unusual it is to find a married woman recorded under her maiden name as a baptismal sponsor or marriage witness. Does anyone know what Canon Law has to say on this matter? Or has anyone tried to compile statistics on the relative frequency of married and maiden names for married female sponsors or witnesses?

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Annie,

I just read Lucille's post of the godparents for one of John Power and Bridget Halloran children. Bridget's mother was Mary Sexton 1802-1854. There has to be a relationship between our families. You can look at my blog or family tree on Ancestry.com and trace the Power family. John Power and wife, Bridget Halloran and a couple of their children and a few of John's siblings all went to Bendigo, Victoria, Australia in Dec 1857.
Some of John's & Bridget's children married two lynch brother's from Knockanalban in Victoria.

Kevin

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 am

Mary Talty from Knockanalban, my greatgrandfather's first cousin, possibly baptised in Kilmurry Ibrickane on 14 Feb 1841, married Donald McKaskill (a Scottish Presbyterian) in Bendigo, on 16 Jan 1868. I say 'possibly' because this Mary may have died in infancy and a younger sibling may have been given the same name - according to her marriage certificate, Mary Talty (b. Miltown Malbay, Clare; dau. of Timothy Talty Storekeeper and Margaret McNamara) was aged only 22 when she married Donald McKaskill at Sandhurst, Bendigo, Victoria, on 16 Jan 1868. Their descendant Christiane Zammit has found a shipping record to show that a 16 year old Mary Talty came to Australia on the ship "Great Australia" in September 1862; she came unassisted, so she paid her own fare. We wondered why a 16 year old was traveling so far on her own, but the presence of neighbours from home in Bendigo might explain that.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:48 pm

There may well have been a concentration of Kilmurry Ibrickane people in Bendigo in the 1850s and 1860s. My great grand uncle John Fitzpatrick O'Dwyer from Annagh travelled to Melbourne in 1855 with his cousin James Joseph Casey (later a Judge no less!) from Tromra and in a letter dated 1st of July said he could not find a position there and he "then met Michael Hickey he is son of Hickey that was publican in Kilrush. He induced Casey and me to go to Bendigo" Later in the same letter he says he "has met a great number of Clare people here". Bendigo was a rapidly growing town at the time with both gold mining and farming.

Lucille

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Marriage K-I Sexton Thomas & Anglim, Joanna 1846 Feb 8.jpg
Marriage K-I Sexton Thomas & Anglim, Joanna 1846 Feb 8.jpg (821.5 KiB) Viewed 31295 times
Anne,

There is another very interesting story about the Sexton and O'Halloran family of Mount Scot.

The Sexton and Halloran family lived in the North East corner of the townland near the cross roads where Ahy Bridge is located. This is known as Knockanalban, Mountscot, Ahy Bridge and Knocknageragh. I have found all four names listed in baptism, marriage, and gravestone records for these two families. I have taken the maps and Griffith Valuation and looked at the fields owned by my ancestor, John O'Halloran. If you look at the attached map the fields are not touching and have a neighbors field between each of John's fields.
John was married to Mary Sexton 1802-1854. John's son, Michael O'Halloran married Joanna or Susan Sexton and moved on to her mother's farm next door to where he grew up.

A descendant of Michael O'Halloran now lives in the house near Ahy Bridge, Knockanalban and the former house of John O'Halloran is just 20 yards to the rear of his home.

He told me this interesting story last November while I was on holiday.

" my neighbors told me a story that the farms were owned by the Sexton Family and the father, Daniel Sexton had a son in Australia and four daughters at home. Daniel Sexton wanted and expected the son to come home from Australia to run the farm. The son refused and Daniel to spite the family divided the farm up separating the fields so the family would always be in turmoil".

I have found that there is always some truth in the stories that are passed down but after looking at the Griffith Valuation map of 1855 I am sure there is something to this story.

I believe John O'Halloran received these fields when he married Mary Sexton and he came from the East side of the parish near the Hand. In Killernan Graveyard the O'Halllorans of the Hand are buried directly in front of the O'Halloran Vault.

I also know that Luke Darcy of Bonavilla, married a sister of Mary Sexton, John O'Halloran's wife. I do not have her first name.

John O'Halloran was listed in the 1826 Tithe and 1855 Griffith. If John received the farm from his fathe-in-law Daniel Sexton it would have happened before Griffith Valuation and his son would have been in Australia before 1850.

Kevin J. O'Brien
Attachments
1855 Griffiths Valuation Knockanalban, John Halloran farm.jpg
1855 Griffiths Valuation Knockanalban, John Halloran farm.jpg (239.4 KiB) Viewed 31295 times
1855 Griffiths Valuation Knockanalban.jpg
1855 Griffiths Valuation Knockanalban.jpg (584.46 KiB) Viewed 31295 times

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 am

As you probably know, Luke Darcy's descendants are at
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... y&id=I0172

Kevin J. O'Brien

Post by Kevin J. O'Brien » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am

Paddy,
Thank you. When my grandfather's sister, Delia O'Brien married John Cahill in 1905 in Waverly, NY there was a local woman, Maggie Mescall that traced the family and varified the relationship of 2nd cousins for the priest to marry them. (Maggie was from Shanaway) Their grandmother's were sisters, - Sextons. Their first names were never given. I was able to verify Mary Sexton with documentation but I haven't found Luke Darcy's wife's name as of yet. Hopefully someone will read this and give me another piece of the puzzle.
Cheers,
Kevin

Annie

Post by Annie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 am

Hi All

I just wanted to say a BIG THANKYOU for all the help I have been receiving....I never imagined I would have received all this info. You are all very warm & generous people.

Making my way through it all & trying to put some pieces together!

Unfortunately I still haven't made any connection with anyone in Victoria yet...that piece of the puzzle is out there I'm sure.

Greatly Appreciated.

Cheers

Annie

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 am

Waverly, NY, like Bendigo in Australia, was a favourite haunt of emigrants from Clare. Several Barrington sisters from Clooneenagh (Clonina), born around the 1860s, wound up in Waverly, some of them married to men with Clare names like Gorman and Clohessy. Clonina is about 9km south of Knockanalban. I learned this from Google Maps, which seems to have been recently embellished with (far from accurate) townland boundaries of Irish townlands.

g melb

Post by g melb » Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 am

Hello Annie,

I recently saw your post and the responses it attracted.

I am descended from another of Thomas Anglim and Honor Kelly's children, their son Patrick - I have info on several family members who emigrated to Australia in the 1880s. The family were from the townland of Shyan/Sheeaun in Kilmihil Parish, County Clare.

The Anglims seem to have intermarried with the Learhinans several times over the generations.

Would love to exchange notes.

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Just a bit of clarification - Lernihan - it is spelt in a variety of ways - even on the census of 1901. - and I have seen Anglim - Anglum - Anglem etc. - two Kilmihil families. - lots of doc. on Clare Library site -- Genealogy page - Griffith Vals. of 1855 - Tithes of 1825 - and Census of 1901 - esp. the surname index.