Genealogy Madigan Family from Moyadda Beg & More

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

rmaddi

Genealogy Madigan Family from Moyadda Beg & More

Post by rmaddi » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Seeking any additional information I can get regarding the family of my great grandfather Michael Madigan (exact birth date not known); baptized 11 September 1844, sponsors Francis & Mary Brew; Parish of Kilrush, County Clare, Ireland; was the fourth child born to John B. Madigan (John B. 1st marriage) & wife Mary (surname not known); Michael’s mother Mary died at or after the birth of Michael’s sister Mary in 1846 or 1847. Michael along with his brother Denis immigrated to the US in 1868, settled in Fayette Co. Iowa, Fremont township; Westgate, Iowa.
Michael’s father; John B. Madigan, born 1806 and died 1874, buried in the Molungha graveyard; from Griffith’s Land Valuation he was a tenant farmer leasing land in both Moyadda Beg & Moyadda More. In Moyadda Beg he leased No’s 2 & 3 (58 acres) from Francis Fitzgerald and in Moyadda More he leased No’s 4 & 5 (67 acres) from Henry Stewart Barton. I have concluded that John B. is the son of Thomas Madigan who died 7 June 1854 aged 80 making his birth date approximately 1774; Thomas was married to Catherine Mulqueen who died 1849 at the age of 64 making her birth date approximately 1785. The gravestone states (reference 49), Molungha Graveyard inscriptions, Clare Co. library website, 1988) that it was erected by her son Martin of Leadmore; therefore John had a brother Martin but probably other brothers & sisters. (Some of this information was provided by pj culligan) Children born to the Union of John B (first Marriage) & Mary
Thomas 1st. born (exact date not known), baptized 18th April 1841, sponsors Matt & Mary Madigan, immigrated to the US in 1871, settled in Scott Co., Davenport, Iowa, was a Stationary engineer for the Water Department, Thomas never married. He remained in close contact with his brother Michael and a cousin Mary (Curry) Kane, (Mrs. Michael Kane) a cousin who also lived in Davenport (she had immigrated with her husband in approximately 1855.
John 2nd. Born (exact date not known, baptized 21st. May 1842, sponsors Sinon & Bridget Higgins; no further information is known.
Denis 3rd. born (exact date not known, baptized 9th. June 1843 sponsors Matt & Bridget Madigan,) Denis, to the best of my knowledge immigrated with Michael in 1868 to farm together, Denis while working with Michael died from a farm accident on January 21, 1876. He is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Westgate, IA
Michael, 4th born, my great grandfather, (exact birth date not known); baptized 11 September 1844, sponsors Francis & Mary Brew; St. Parish of Kilrush, County Clare, Ireland. He returned to Ireland in 1903-04 with his brother Thomas to visit family. Died April 11, 1911; Buried in Calvary cemetery Westgate, IA
Mary 5th child born (exact date not known) Baptized, 17th. February 1847, sponsors Francis & Margaret Brew no additional information is known of Mary, recent information indicate that her mother Mary died at the time of her birth or within a year afterwards.
My gg grandfather John B Madigan married Ellen O’Brien in December 1860, Kilrush parish, from this union I have found several more children, Bridget, baptized19 Nov. 1861, Margaret, baptized 11 Sept. 1863, Thomas baptized 30 Nov. 1864, James baptized Jan. 1867, Patrick baptized15 Mar. 1867, John baptized 12 June 1869, Timothy baptized 18 May 1871, Michael baptized 3 Aug. 1873
The 1901 census of County Clare Clooncoorha, Moyadda Beg has Ellen Madigan, age 75 Head of Family, Widow, John Madigan age 40 (age corresponds to the John of the second marriage, also a Margaret King, age 11, Niece. The 1911 census Clooncoorha, Moyadda Beg has John Madigan age 61, Head of Family, Annie Madigan age 50, wife, Mary Madigan, age 8, Daughter
The Civil Registration index: Ellen Madigan, Kilrush, death, Jan – Mar 1906, birth year 1830, Age at death 76.
Names with a connection to this Madigan family from Clare include: Mulqueen, Curry, O’Brien, Reidy; attempting to connect with family still living around Kilrush. Interested in learning how the land that was leased in Moyadda Beg & More was transferred.

Here is some additional family information:
Michael and Thomas traveled back to County Clare, in 1903 returning to the Boston, MA in August of 1904, passengers on the ship Republic along with them was a 20 year old Denis Madigan from South Carrowncalla. This Denis Madigan was traveling to Worcester, MA; he was the youngest child of Thomas (born in 1834, buried in Shankyle cemetery) & Brigid Madigan the daughter of Mortimer Murrihy & Margaret Reidy. I have established contact with descendants of Denis and they have confirmed this connection. Denis’ father Thomas was the son of Denis Madigan born about 1780.

Roger Maddigan

miriam scahill

Re: Genealogy Madigan Family from Moyadda Beg & More

Post by miriam scahill » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello Roger - you have left it a long time to find your ancestors !! but you might be lucky. !! First of all Moyadda Beg and Moyadda More are townlands or neighbourhoods on the eastern side of Kilrush Parish. Moyadda means 'wide plain' with 'beg' meaning small and 'more' meaning big. !! To start with log on to www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - at bottom right there is 'Research Support' - open Civil Parish Index and select Kilrush. Lots of info. List of Townlands in Parish will show you 'the location of the various areas you have mentioned - Carnacalla and Leadmore are west of the town and Moyadda is east of it. Also Google Maps will show you location of Moyadda - it is about 2 miles from Kilrush on road No. N68 (main road Ennis to Kilrush) - Going east from Kilrush - towards Ennis - you find the Golf Course - about a mile out you will see a type of wooded area on right of road (south side) - this was Brew farm - and on the corner of road oppos. I think it was Kings. Looking at the names on Census most of these families are still farming there - Lyons x 2. O Briens x 2 and. McMahon. There is another family I know farming there - and as far as I can remember it was' herself' who was the farmer - ' himself' had 'married in' !! Hope you understand that Irish lingo ! Anyway - I did a bit of research on Family Search.org - and it shows 'Madigan' as maiden name of Mother of this family.
!! To prove that it is 'Mary Madigan' as shown on Census of 1911 - we need to get a copy of Marriage Cert. for Mary Ellen Madigan married in 1930 - - you download a form from www.gro.ireland - this is General Reg. Office in Ireland - I think the cert. costs 10 euros. This will show her father's name and also name of her husband. I will send you a message with name of family - and the ref. nos. to get the cert. To see this farm as per Google map - it is just to the left of the above details - new house is son's - but farmhouse is still the same.
There are 4 different families called Madigan in Carnacalla - on Census I think it reads Carrownacalla. Leadmore is the next area to Carnacalla. It could be that a Madigan family moved out to Moyadda.
Both Moyaddas are in the R.C. Parish of Kilrush - but the Census has one in 'Cloncoorha' and the other in 'Killimer' !!
That will do for now !! Miriam - ( from Kilrush - living in Dublin !!)

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Hello Roger - I was in Kilrush and met a friend of mine from Moyadda who told me that your relation was buried in Molougha cemetery, Killimer - but there is no headstone. I sent you a private message. Miriam.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Roger

This looks like the marriage of one of your greatgrandfather's younger half-sisters:

1884 24th January (CJ).
Marriage: Grogan and Madigan: At the Roman Catholic Church Kilrush, on the 19th
inst.,by the Very Rev. Dr. Dinan,P.P.,V.G. John Grogan,eldest son of Mr. Daniel
Grogan,Derha, to Kate third daughter of the late John Madigan, Moyadda.

From
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... iages2.htm

\pw

rmaddi

Post by rmaddi » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Paddy - missed your post from April; you definitely noted a connection with my family; the information is spot on with my research and the children of the family follow the usual Irish naming convention; another piece of the puzzle thanks for posting Roger