Hickman origins

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

msynge

Hickman origins

Post by msynge » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:13 pm

The first recorded Hickman in county Clare was Gregory of Barntic, and English settler who was robbed of his manifold possessions in the uprising of 1641. Where did he come from and how did he get to co Clare? Burke says that he was the third son of Walter Hickman of Kew, Surrey, but this is almost certainly wrong. Walter's will (proved 1617/8 in PCC) mentions three sons but not Gregory. Walter's monument in Richmond church in Surrey, erected by his eldest son Dixie, names the same three sons and a daughter Elizabeth. In the parish records of St Stephen Coleman, London and of Richmond, I found the baptisms of two of the sons and the daughter, but again no Gregory.

Grazebrook, in his Heraldry of Worcestershire, says that Edmonson's Baronagium derived Gregory from Walter of Kew and that Burke followed his dubious lead. Grazebrook suggested that Gregory might be of the Hickman family of Stourbridge, Old Swinford, Worcestershire, but the pedigree of that family has no Gregory of the right period. This pedigree is to be found in The Reades of Blackwood Hill, most thoroughly researched by Aleyn Lyell Reade.

So those two families are out, and I'm still trying to discover where Gregory came from. Any ideas?

smcarberry

Re: Hickman origins

Post by smcarberry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Seeing no response as yet, I am posting, but only to direct you to Declan Barron (newparkhouse.ennis@eircom.net) who has been doing Hickman research for at least 8 years. He is one of the sources listed in an online article mentioning a Gregory Hickman:

"Kilmore House was...located in the townland of Kilmore, just one mile from the village of Knock, parish of Kilmurry McMahon, Co. Clare...Walter Hickman came into possession of the Kilmore Estate in 1686...Walter Hickman was the second son of Gregory Hickman, a merchant of Hamburgh, by Jane Hubbert of Dromore. He married daughter of Henry Hart, Commissary General of Ireland, by whom he had two sons..."
http://markhams-of-derryguiha.com.hosti ... /id24.html

You may already know about that and posted to get more ideas, but I thought it is worth mentioning.

Sharon Carberry USA
not researching Hickman

SomersetSue

Post by SomersetSue » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Hello

I came across this forum when searching on Google for Hickman information and I spotted this thread.

I think I know who your Gregory Hickman is and I think he is probably as first suggested.
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.ph ... 6&tree=LEO

He was the son of Walter/Watter Hickman and his wife Elizabeth Staines. Walter was the brother of my ancestor Dr. Henry Hickman.

Walter and Henry were two of the sons of the Elizabethan merchant adventurer Anthony Hickman and his wife Rose (nee Locke and later Throckmorton).

If you google either of their names you will find that they have an interesting life story. They had another son William who owned Old Hall in Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. He allowed meetings there of some of the people who later sailed to America on the Mayflower.

Rose Hickman wrote a short autobiography in her old age and a novel is due to be published in March 09 based on her fascinating and exciting life story.
I have been in communication with the author who is also producing a book on the genealogy of the Lockes and the Hickmans to accompany her novel.

Details of the books may be found here
http://www.mayflowermaid.com/ladyroseaw ... ogress.htm

and
http://www.mayflowermaid.com/lady_rose_ ... fe_and.htm

Some of us who descend from the Hickmans are hoping to attend the book launch. That will be at Old Hall, Gainsborough on 13th March and there is to be an exhibition about the Hickmans there.

The Hickmans are a well documented family of adventurers.

So if you have descent from Gregory Hickman you can probably trace your ancestry considerably further back and to some interesting people.

I see you were concerned about the lack of mention of the son in a will.
Sometimes this happens. Perhaps Gregory was not on good terms with his father and siblings or maybe he had already received his portion on marriage. But he is generally considered to be as you already thought. It will be interesting to read the genealogical research done by Sue Allan the author because perhaps that will reveal more evidence. She is not giving information pre book launch but I hope to buy her books.

I will keep an eye out for Gregory in my own researching so we can have confirmation one way or another.

Best wishes
Sue

freewillsueuk

Post by freewillsueuk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 am

I can say quite categorically that Gregory Hickman is not a son of Walter Hickman of Kew.
The details of the monument at St. Mary Magdelene at Richmond for Walter make no mention of a 'Gregory'.
There are no records for his baptismn whereas there are for the other children.
But more than this -Lady Rose Hickman wrote an account of her family in 1610 which was updated by her grandaughter in 1636 - The children for both Walter, and his brother Henry do not mention a Gregory- whereas all other children , grandchildren and a few great grandchildren of Lady Rose are.

I can find no record of Walter having been involved with Ireland either.
The genealogy for Walter's younger sons on that family manuscript reads thus:William and Walter (a Captain in the Low Countries) died unmarried.

Maybe Gregory was Illegitimate? If so then I would strongly move against him being connected to Walter of Kew because of the highly religious nature of this particular family.

Do this Irish set of Hickmans have a family coat of arms? William, Walter,Anthony and Henry applied for - and got - a coat of arms in adulthood.
Best Wishes,
Freewillsue

SomersetSue

Post by SomersetSue » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:27 pm

I do like a good puzzle.

I wonder if he was indeed an illegitimate member of the family. Perhaps the very staunch protestant family were so aghast that they didn't mention him.

Let's hope some document turns up so solve the mystery.

Best wishes
Sue

Noel Murphy

Post by Noel Murphy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi Folks,
With regard to the Hickman family which I have just started to research, it would seem that some of you have not read the "Inchiquin Mss" which has 104 references to this family.

Gregory Hickman is listed as a Juror at an Inquisition on the 8 Oct. 1629. He would have to be over 21 years of age in that year. Gregory had a son called Thomas who died in 1677 and his Will is given on page 512 in the Mss. He names his second son as Dixie which suggests a very strong link to Gregory's refuted father Walter whose eldest son was also called Dixie. A very unusual name in my experience.

To move on I would also refer to the "1641 Depositions". When you enter Gregory Hickman of Co. Clare as requested you will only get referred to one hit, but if you search under Clare and Limerick you will find that Gregory wrote two depositions, the first in 1642 and the second in 1643.

For further research on the Hickmans, Limerick City Library has Rosemary ffolliott's BMD's on microfilm, 11 Hits. Limerick CountyLibrary has Rosemary ffolliott's BMD's on microfilm, 58 Hits but with some duplication.

Happy Hunting,
Genealogy for fun,
Noel Murphy.

freewillsueuk

Post by freewillsueuk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:57 am

Again...there is no son of Walter named Gregory.I am Lady Rose Hickman's biographer and the family left a manuscript it 1634 with the names of all of her sons and grandchildren and Gregory is not named.But the Dixie part is right- the name Dixie came into the family because of the Lord Mayor of London Dixie Wolston- who was a realtive of Lady Rose's husband Walter, Anthony. Wolston left no children and in fact Rose's son William married his widow, Agnes when both middle-aged. A family would include a dead man's name as remerbrance of him- especially as he had no hiers.I think that this Gregory could be from a line coming from one of Anthony's uncles- maybe William who was a London merchant - or a cousin. None of these are mentioned by Rose at all- only her children and descendants.
Sue Allan
'Tudor Rose'

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 pm

From 'Notes on the Sheriffs of Co. Clare' by the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland.

1671 Thomas Hickman of Ballyhenan, eldest son of Gregory, son of walter Hickman of Kew (Gregory settled in Clare before 1612 - Patent Rolls, and his farm of Barntick was plundered by the O'Briens, 1642) - Cuffe's "Journal" &c. .........

1675 Walter Hickman, of Donogrogue, brother of Thomas 1671, held Clare Castle under the Commonwealth .........

1699 Henry Hickman of Ballykett, fourth brother of Thomas 1671 ..........

Burke's 'Hickman of Fenloe' has
Lineage - The family is a branch of the ancient noble family of Hickman, in which vested the Earldom of Plymouth. Gregory, described in the family pedigree as 3rd son of Walter Hickman of Kew, Surrey, ancestor of the Earls of Plymouth, was a merchant of Hamburg, where he m. Rhoda, dau. of Mr. Felton, merchant; his 2nd wife was Jane dau. of Nicholas Hubbert, of Dromore, in Ireland.
By his 1st wife he had a son Thomas ........ (This Thomas had sons Thomas, Dixie, William, Andrew, George, daus. Rhody and Mary)
By his 2nd wife Gregory Hickman had, with two daus. (Jane m. to Colonel Villiers Harrington, of Bagworth, co. Warrick .......; and Mary m. Captain Bernard of Co. Cork) three sons Walter (sons Henry and Walter, dau. Bridget), Hugh and Henry (sons Luke, George and Hugh, daus. Jane, Catherine and Ann).

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:03 pm

In the index to the Inchiquin Manuscripts (held in Petworth house, Sussex) there is only one single entry for Gregory - Document No. 1045.

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:42 pm

By his 2nd wife Gregory had a son Henry.
Henry m. Honora McMahon and had a son George.
George m. Jane Fox and had a son Anthony Hickman (as well as Henry, Fox and several daus).
This is probably the Anthony who had 3 daus. m. in the 1770s.

An Anthony Hickman is said to have built Ballykett House in 1719 - Hely Dutton's 'Statistical Survey of the County Clare' (1808).

Declan Barron

Post by Declan Barron » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 pm

O'Hart's 'Irish Landed Gentry when Cromwell came to Ireland' lists The " Forty-Nine" Officers (1649).
It lists Captain Andrew Hickman, Gregorie Hickman, Captain Luke Hickman and Walter Hickman.

Noel Murphy

Post by Noel Murphy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Declan,

The Magazine of Magazines, 1751 to 1761, can be read on Limerick Univercity's web site. There are 8 hits for the Hickmans from that decade. The BDM's are at the end of each 100 page monthly magazine and are thus easy to locate. There are plenty of hits for Co. Clare as well as Co. Limerick.

Cheers,

Noel Murphy.

Noor

Post by Noor » Fri May 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi all,

Very old topic but I give a shot - if any of you have some information about Irene Gore-Hickman from Kilmore House, Co.Clare, please send me a message. She was probably born 1892 and her name may be as well Ellen Irene. She was one of the 11 children of Frances William Gore-Hickman and Elizabeth Brown O'Brien.

Thanking you in advance,

Noor

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:27 pm

See
http://www.markhams-of-derryguiha.com/id24.html

She was a few years older than you thought:

Name: Ellen Irene Hickman
Registration District: Kilrush
Event Type: BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1889