Brennans of Scattery Island

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

AFlanagan

Brennans of Scattery Island

Post by AFlanagan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I am trying to confirm the parents of Honora Brennan, born about 1827. I believe they were Patrick and Ellen (Melican?) Brennan of Scattery Island, but I have found nothing to verify that. Maybe she was a granddaughter? Any help is much welcomed. :)

miriam scahill

Re: Brennans of Scattery Island

Post by miriam scahill » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello - It seems you are right about parents - there is a pedigree for two Brennan Families from Scattery Ireland on http://www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy - Donated Material - Family Histories - Inhabitants of Scattery Island by Senan Scanlan. Patrick Brennan born c 1786 died 28 May 1863 married Ellen Melican born 1783 died 24 Sept. 1862. Son, Patrick born 1824 - as male line is only shown - it is poss. daughter was born 1827. Bapt. Records for St. Senan's Church, Kilrush are on micro film - I don't know ref. no. Miriam.

AFlanagan

Post by AFlanagan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Thank you, Miriam!
Are there any records that would go back further than Patrick and Ellen?

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 pm

I hope you had time to read 'Inhabitants of Scattery Ireland' - as you will see the Brennan & Melican families came from mostly the Parishes of Kilballyowen or Moyarta in 1860's. I don't think there are Baptismal Records going back before that. The Brennan family still live in Kilrush = but as far as I know some girls of Melican family live away from Kilrush. Sometime ago there was a posting on Kilrush Local History Group which is on Facebook.com re Melicans - and it came from Alaska. !!