Byrne from Ennis

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Munsterman2012

Byrne from Ennis

Post by Munsterman2012 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello, I am looking for any information on the Byrne family from Ennis. My father was Martin Byrnes born in 1925, of Michael Byrnes who was married to Brigid Barry. He had brothers John, Michael ,Thomas and Frank, and a sister Bridie. I believe my grandfather Michael died in the 1920's and is buried in Drumcliff, I have searched the cemetery and have been unable to find the location. I would be very grateful for any information that could be passed on..

Why is it that my grandfather was Byrne, yet my surname now is Byrnes?

Thanks in advance

murf

Re: Byrne from Ennis

Post by murf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 am

I have a distant relative by the name of John Burns who is variously recorded upon the baptism of his children in Clondagad Parish as Burns, Byrns, Byrne and Byrnes. John and his wife Ellen Phillips did have a son Michael who was born in 1872, maybe no connection. The family lived (1901 census) in the townland of Gortygeheen, although they did have at least one child (Cornelius) who was baptised in the Ennis Church.
In your research you should be prepared for name variants. I have a variety of documents which individually record my great grandmother's maiden name as:
Honoria Calinan
Honor, Honora, Honoria & Anne Callinan
Honor & Hanna Calanan
Honor, Honora & Nora Callanan
Honor Callane
Honor O'Callaghan
Thank goodness her married name of Murphy was more consistent in the record! :)

Munsterman2012

Re: Byrne from Ennis

Post by Munsterman2012 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Thanks Murf, it seems my granparents were from Faheys Lane, and the Census in 1901 shows the correct surname of Byrnes, it then reverts back to Burns in the Census of 1911, I appreciate the response and who knows there may be a link, I'll keep searching..