Quealy (Stone masons)families from Kiladysert

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jquinliv

Quealy (Stone masons)families from Kiladysert

Post by jquinliv » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Interested in any info someone might have about the following relatives from the parish of Kiladysert. Through this excellent website, I have been able to locate my Quealy(Quailey) family from the town of Clonkett. Michael(my GGGFather) and his brother Simon Quailey came over to the US in 1848 and 1850. They also had a uncle, Patrick Qualey and son John who settled in the Forest Lake,PA. Patrick and John's gravestone stated they were from the parish of Kiladysert as did Michael Quaileys gravestone.

I have just used your new option,Clare GMaps. Due to the fact that Michael was a stone mason(this is how he made his way up from Philadelphia and settled into Forest Lake, PA, by building stone walls for people along the way), I believe I have located a rock quarry in the town of Clonkett. So this is my question to the 'locals' here in the Kiladysert area. Is there a rock quarry in the town or near the town of Clonkett?

Information to verify my Quealy family are from Clonkett

-Tithe Appointments Michael and Simon Quineely, town of Clonkett,
-Tithe Appointments John King(Michael Quineely(Quailey) father in law) partners with Thomas and Timothy Queely, Town of Clonkett
-Griffiths Evaluation George Quailey (my GGGFather Michael Quailey's youngest son's name was George), Town of Clonkett
1901 Census George Qualey,
- Kane family that Quaileys married into while living in Forest Lake, PA, the Kanes were from the parish of Kiladysert. This is well documented by many family trees from the Susquehanna County, PA area. Also, there was another Kane family that settled in Forest Lake, PA and they were from the parish next door to Kiladysert, the parish of Kilfiddane.
-Thomas Fury family were from the parish of Kiladysert, they to settled in Forest Lake, PA

Thank you all who read this. I hope to make some connections. Also if you have the chance, please take a look at my recent topic about my Quinlivan family from county Clare.

Thanks!

PS: Bravo to you all here who once again have gone above and beyond in helping us foreign relatives dig in to their past, in county Clare. You are to be commended in your efforts with your new and exciting 'Clare GMaps'! Thank you so MUCH!

miriam scahill

Re: Quealy (Stone masons)families from Kiladysert

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi - I agree with you re Clare Library website - it has vast info on it. !! A great page to open is on www.clarelibrary.ie - Genealogy and Family History. Down on r side there is 'Research Support' - and open Civil Parish Index' - then select Killadysert - you will see all the 'townlands' or neighbourhoods in the parish - with your relations at Cloonkett = photos of the area - and Graveyard Inscriptions will give details of family graves. Another website is www.nationalarchives.ie - where you can 'browse' the Census of both 1901 and 1911 for Clare Killadysert - problem is 1901 Census shows CLONHETT' and 1911 Census shows 'CLOONKELT' - lost in transcribing !!! I am not familiar with area around Killadysert as I come from about 17 miles away. However you could send letter to Ed. of Clare Champion newspaper at Barrack St., Ennis, Co. Clare - and see if any family members left in the area - or else you will have to visit The Banner County. !!!

jquinliv

Re: Quealy (Stone masons)families from Kiladysert

Post by jquinliv » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Miriam,

Thank you for your efforts in the Quealy name. I'm aware of the information you have stated in your reply to my subject. Yes, one day I will make a visit to county Clare for sure. My final dig is to find exactly where my Quinlivan and Keenan(probably Kinnane's came from) There is much support that either these two surnames came from the Kiladysert/Kilfinane area or the family lore of Ennis area. I'd love to know about the Quinlivan side before I make the trip over to Ireland. I have gather many documents which I hope to one day put here on this website.
My trip to Ireland will be a very busy one for I have to try and make to where all the towns my surnames came from. First stop will be the county of Clare, then the town of Keel, Co Kerry, for the Foleys/O'Leary, town of Kilfinane, Co Limerick, for my Ryan/Shaughnessy, and town of Skull or Schull. Co Cork for my Mahoney/? families. As for my Scanlons possibly Limerick and for the O'Dea/McNerney...somewhere in co Clare again. I think I'll have to stay at least 2 weeks in this beautiful land of Ireland :D

Sincerely,

Jim Quinlivan