NYC's Clare-born in Old Calvary Cemetery

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

smcarberry

NYC's Clare-born in Old Calvary Cemetery

Post by smcarberry » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:10 am

It took me a while to realize this, but a well-known book by Rosemary Muscarella Ardolina is a Google Book. This is her 1996
one on Old Calvary Cemetery, which is (I believe) technically in Queens County but adjacent to Kings County, which is
Brooklyn NY. That location is next to Greenpoint, the part of Brooklyn that filled with Irish immigrants. However, there are undoubtedly Manhattan residents buried there as well, since Manhattan island lacked space for cemeteries. There are three other sections to this huge cemetery, so there are likely thousands more Irish names to collect. This book covers only the oldest section, although I have seen references to a year 2000 publication by the same author, for Second Calvary, the next section in time. Both books are covered by copyright, and this author is very much alive and probably still producing publications. So, I can show the involved surnames and locations, but to see full details of the gravestones, you need to see the Google book itself. I will try to provide a link but you can also get to it by using the author's name and the book title as search terms, using the Google search engine.

The gravestones are listed in a numbered order devised by the author. The book has 549 pages, and the online version goes only to p. 420 while also omitting many intervening pages, primarily pages 74 - 396. There are 140 gravestones for Clare-born.

Sharon Carberry USA

Old Calvary Cemetery: New Yorkers Carved in Stone
http://books.google.com/books?id=P8sab2 ... &ct=result

Gravestone No./Page Surname Clare location

26 McInernery Miltown Malbay

31 Lucas Kilcarrol

136 Sheehan Parish Slondi?

259 Cudmore Clare

383/28 Barrett Corofin

406/30 Murphy Parish Drumclift

748/56 O'Dwyer Milltown Malbay

770/57 Considine Cree