Luke SHINNERS and Mary LIDDY - marriage date and children

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

red

Luke SHINNERS and Mary LIDDY - marriage date and children

Post by red » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello

I am trying to find a marriage date for Luke Shinners and Mary Liddy. I have guessed the year of birth of Luke Shinners to be about 1816, and Mary Liddy to be about 1822. They later travelled to Australia in 1852, so I think that Luke and Mary married in Ireland before 1852. I would really appreciate some help to find the marriage index for Luke Shinners and Mary Liddy, as I am finding it a bit tricky to search the Irish records.

I would also like to find the birth/baptism record for their daughter Ann/a Teresa Shinners (born about 1841). The Ennis Parish record an unnamed child for Luke Shinners and Mary Liddy, so if someone could please help me find the index so that I can purchase the certificate, it would be very much appreciated.

I think I found some baptism records for some of their children at
http://www.ennisparish.com/wp-content/p ... _13_37.csv

I have also put out a request previously on an Australian website at:
http://australiansurnamesgroup.yuku.com ... wwxlZhLcqY

Many thanks for your help.

murf

Re: Luke SHINNERS and Mary LIDDY - marriage date and childre

Post by murf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello Red
The Ennis Parish website at http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/ opens up with the Baptismal Register search box. If you click on the grey box above, the Marriage Register search box appears. Entering Shinners for SURNAME and Liddy for WIFE MAIDEN SURNAME and 1841 comes up with a nil result, but if you change Shinners to Shinnors then your marriage comes up. The different spelling may have been as entered or a transcription error.
In the Baptism Register if you enter Shinners and Liddy and leave the year blank, then three results appear including the ?? you mentioned and two Marys.
Regarding the missing child's name the original entry may have been blank, or more likely unreadable. If you contact the Parish they may be able to take a look at the original register and tell whether it could be interpreted as "Ann/a".

red

Post by red » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 am

Hi murf
Thanks so much! I am still a beginner at this, so I really appreciate your help in finding the marriage for me. The marriage date fits perfectly too.
I have already contacted the Parish, and I am waiting for them to reply, and once they do - I will also ask for a copy of the marriage entry too.

murf

Post by murf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi again Red, are you still there?
Just a thought that if you wish to learn more of your Ennis connections you may do well to browse through all the goodies on the Clare Library website. Although your ancestors emigrated in 1852, traces of the families they left behind still remain. Taking a quick look I found a number of Shinners in Griffiths Valuation and also much later in the 1901 census. There was a lack of older folk(Shinners) in the census, but I noticed that a couple of them in Ennis were harness makers, so on a hunch I went to Slaters Directory of 1846. There in the Ennis section listed under "Saddlers and Harness Makers" were John and Luke Shinners of Mill Street. That took me all of 5 minutes. Who knows what you may turn up with an hour to spare?
Happy hunting

red

Post by red » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Murf
I had a search of the Clare Library website at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/search.html and I found a few more references to Luke (and other) Shinners. I can't quite work out how they fit with my family tree, but I am sure they do and I will just have to keep searching a little bit more. I am still waiting to hear back from the Ennis Parish, and hopefully they will be able to help me find a few of those missing links. So thanks for the advice.