Letters after a name

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

murf

Letters after a name

Post by murf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 am

I have been trying to identify individuals in a long list of mourners attending the funeral of Honor Murphy(1835-1902). I have the advantage that this funeral took place only one year after the 1901 census, so the census becomes particularly relevant for cross-matching the names. Many of the names in the list of mourners had letters following. At first I was puzzled by the letters "N.T." but soon realised that this signified National Teacher, this being confirmed by the census. However another common combination was "D.C.", which was less obvious(to me anyway), and the census doesn't seem to help with this one. Also, the clergy listed were either "P.P." (which I assume to be Parish Priest), or "C.C.".
Any suggestions?
Murf

mcreed

Re: Letters after a name

Post by mcreed » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 am

"C.C." would refer to a curate, a priest who assists a parish priest. No idea about "D.C." though.

Paddy Casey

Post by Paddy Casey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:06 pm

murf wrote:I have been trying to identify individuals in a long list of mourners attending the funeral of Honor Murphy(1835-1902). I have the advantage that this funeral took place only one year after the 1901 census, so the census becomes particularly relevant for cross-matching the names. Many of the names in the list of mourners had letters following. At first I was puzzled by the letters "N.T." but soon realised that this signified National Teacher, this being confirmed by the census. However another common combination was "D.C.", which was less obvious(to me anyway), and the census doesn't seem to help with this one. Also, the clergy listed were either "P.P." (which I assume to be Parish Priest), or "C.C.".
Any suggestions?
Murf
D.C. is an abbreviation of Daughters of Charity or Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul. It may be that some of the mourners were nuns.
In the Irish context it can also be Divisional Commissioner, a rank in the old Royal Irish Constabulary, but it would be surprising if more than one of these were to be present at the funeral. D.C. is nowadays a rank in the Garda (deputy commissioner) but that would have been a bit late for your funeral.

Paddy

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:38 pm

In 1902, D.C. stood for District Councillor. Under the local government reforms of 1899 which introduced County Councils as we know them today, the Boards of Guardians of the Poor Law Unions were replaced by Rural District Councils. They remained in operation until 1925. See pp.661-726 of The Clare Elections by Kieran Sheedy (Bauroe Publications, 1993) for full details.

C.C. is Catholic Curate and P.P. is Parish Priest.

murf

Post by murf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for those inputs.
District Councillor fits with those people listed with that appendage. Incidentally Paddy C, I neglected to mention that all of the mourners listed appeared to be male. Women did not rate a mention either in the "General Attendance" or amongst the "Chief Mourners", ie immediate family.
With teachers being accorded the same courtesy as District Councillors, ie letters after their name, I get the impression that teaching was a highly regarded profession in those days (no slight intended on today's teachers of course). Interestingly, I notice in the census that widow Margaret Heaphy of Ballynacally, her son and three daughters were all listed as teachers.

pwaldron

Post by pwaldron » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Women generally didn't attend funerals until well into the 20th century. See how many women you can see among the mourners at this 1888 funeral:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~pwaldron/Clare ... uneral.jpg
(Slightly incorrect full caption from back of photograph at
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~pwaldron/Clare ... neral2.jpg -
the deceased's father was Michael Kett, not John Kett as stated in the caption.)

\pw