Gower Hall

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Dermo_D

Gower Hall

Post by Dermo_D » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:08 am

A grand-aunt of mine, born in Kilkee in 1903 and who later lived in Kilrush, seems to have worked as a governness in Gower Hall (a few miles outside Kilrush) probably around 1920 or thereabouts. I've been unable to find out much about Gower Hall except that it was apparently used as a school and model farm for about 200 boys for a period of time from about 1849. It seems to have subsequently reverted to a private residence, but other than that, I've been unable to find out much about it. I'd be interested in hearing any information about Gower Hall particularly around the time my grand-aunt worked there. Can anybody throw any light on this?

Paddy Casey

Re: Gower Hall

Post by Paddy Casey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:07 pm

See http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... 29sept.htm ("We consider it necessary to increase the Workhouse accommodation Resolved that Gower Hall (3 Miles from Kilrush) together with 25 Statute acres of Land attached thereto be taken for a School and Model farm at a yearly Rent of £80 premium. These premises being calculated to afford accommodation for 200 Boys, provided the owner M Keane can establish his right to Lease for his own terms, 3 Lives or 30 years from 1827, all lives still in being. Subject to the sanction of the Commissioners Tenancy to commence as soon as preliminaries can be arranged. Resolved that additional accommodation for 250 Boys be added to Gower Hall in the event of its being sanctioned")
Paddy

mcreed

Post by mcreed » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm

This from the Landed Estates Database of NUI Galway
http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstat ... sp?id=1739

"A house on the Burton estate held by Francis Keane from Henry S. Burton at the time of Griffith's Valuation and valued at £12. It had previously being occupied by James Lillis in 1814 and also by Richard Pilkington who married Maria Blood of Applevale in 1805. The house was reconstructed in the late 19th century and is still a family home, the centre of a dairying enterprise."

The web page above has a photo of Gower Hall as it looks today.

And there's also this reference to Gower Hall at
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... ptions.htm

"Christopher Marret Keane of Gower Hall A. B and G.M Queens University Ireland died 17th day of March 1857 aged 26 years, Lord make me to know mine end and the measure of my days what it is that I may know how frail I am. (Psalm 39 cav)
Also Hannah Maria sister of the above who departed this life 15th Nov 1914 (and) Jane Rebecca Pollard died Nov 2 1925 (also) Sarah Keane died April 21st 1929 The gift of God is eternal life."

Clare Admin

Post by Clare Admin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Here is Gower Hall on the 1842 Ordnance Survey map

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... E1893DslT1

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi and Happy New Year !! The Quinlivan family are living at house No. 4 - Gower North, DED Cooraclare in Census of 1901 - ( House and Building Return shows '6 windows ) - and the family were there in the not too distant past - I recall hearing of a Fr. Quinlivan from Gower Hall - - perhaps someone from Cooraclare area might send more info. My Great Grandfather was born in 'house no. 7' - Patrick Moloney!!! - his brother William is there in 1901.
Just looked at tel.book for the area - and yes the family are still there !! Michael in 1901 and again in 2011!! - my tele. book is from 2007 !!

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Sorry - I am back again !! Census of 1901 shows house No. 10 and Census of 1911 it is house No. 4 - Census taken from a diff. direction. !! Markham family is home of Mrs. Eliz. Crotty of Concertina fame.

Dermo_D

Post by Dermo_D » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi all and Happy New Year. Many thanks for all the leads on Gower House. I've also found a reference at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/clarem ... stcard.htm which says "A co-operative known as the West Clare Co-op Creameries was established in Kilrush and opened on October 7th 1930. Michael Quinlivan of Gower Hall, Jack Brock of Cooraclare and Dan Carey of Ballynagun were all part of the committee that established the Co-op". This ties in closely with the Landed Estates Database of NUI Galway reference to Gower House being the centre of a dairying enterprise.

In the 1911 Census, the Quinlivan family had only one child but they employed a couple of servants. Given that Michael Quinlivan appears to have been a successful businessman, and that they may have had more children by the end of the decade or early 1920's, it's likely that they may have employed a "governess" to look after the children, so the story of my g-aunt working there is probably correct.

For info, my g-aunt was Margaret (Madge) Downes, the daughter of a humble train driver on the WCR. Sometime after working in Gower House, she joined an order of American Nuns (the Sisters of Divine Providence, I think) and went off to America. She was a high acedemic achiever and became a Doctor in Mathematics and Physics. She published a highly-acclaimed thesis on Cosmic Radiation which apparently was way ahead of its time. She later left the nuns and returned to Ireland where she taught for many years in Maryfield College in Dublin until her retirement. Madge died in the 1980s and I'm sure she'd have had a lot of stories to tell. What a shame I didn't have the same interest then as I have now!

Many thanks for your help with this - much appreciated.

Dermot Downes