From the Talty Millions to the Talty Farthing

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

pwaldron

From the Talty Millions to the Talty Farthing

Post by pwaldron » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Over the last few years, there has been some discussion on this forum about the Talty Millions case - the estate of T. J. Talty, a native of Knockanalban, co. Clare, who died in Florida in 1926:
http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=669

I recently came across a reference to T. J. Talty's uncle, Peter Talty (d. 7 Mar 1886 at Henry Street, Dublin, aged 74). He was from county Clare, probably Coor West, where his brother John lived on what appears to have been the family farm.

I did some follow-up research in online newspaper archives and found that Peter played a prominent role in business, political and municipal affairs in Dublin. He started out in the employment of Messrs. Todd Burns, and Co., Mary street (Freeman's Journal, 29 Oct 1840). By 1851, he was living at 10 Henry street (FJ, 19 Jul 1851). By the following year, he had expanded into the house next door, 9 Henry street (FJ, 12 Nov 1852).

In Griffith's Valuation (27 May 1854), Peter Talty & Martin Murphy are listed at 9 and 10 Henry-street, with House, warerooms, back-houses, offices & yd. with a rateable annual valuation of 120 pounds, leased from Rev. William Trocke. This is the earliest reference that I have so far located to the Talty and Murphy partnership.

In 1862, the firm is listed in a Henry Street directory as 9 & 10 Talty, Murphy, & Co. hosiers, glovers, perfumers, haberdashers, and shirtmakers, and importers of Berlin wools.

Talty Murphy & Co's Haberdashers Dublin issued its own Farthing token; see http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/Bell.6260.001.html for picture and description:
farthing.jpg
farthing.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
"Talty Murphy & Co's Haberdashers Dublin (County Dublin) farthing token undated. Obverse: Bust of Queen Victoria to left: "TALTY, MURPHY & Co. 9 & 10, HENRY ST. DUBLIN". Reverse: Legend on five lines, the top and bottom curved: "TRIMMINGS, HABERDASHERY, BERLIN WOOLS HOSIERY, SHIRTS, GLOVES &c.". Plain edge. Talty Murphy & Co. were haberdashers and hosiers at 9 & 10 Henry Street, Dublin. Listed in Bell as: "RARE"."

This one is marked sold, but I would like to have been able to add it to my Talty archive.

pwaldron

Re: From the Talty Millions to the Talty Farthing

Post by pwaldron » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

For any members of this forum likely to be in Dublin at the end of this month, this is advance notice that I will be giving a talk entitled "From the Talty Farthing to the Talty Millions: Tracing a Clare family to Dublin and beyond" to the Clare Association, Dublin on Monday 30 Apr 2012 (8 p.m.) in Wynn's Hotel, 35-39 Lower Abbey St., Dublin 1.

pwaldron

Re: From the Talty Millions to the Talty Farthing

Post by pwaldron » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Reminder to Dublin readers - Talty talk tomorrow evening.