CREAMERIES in COUNTY CLARE

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Skyrish2us

CREAMERIES in COUNTY CLARE

Post by Skyrish2us » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 am

I am anxious to find any remaining photos of the old Creamery in Binvoran, County Clare. As it no longer exists, (disappeared sometime around 1900 I think) I wondered if anyone knew of anywhere a photo or picture of it may still be in existence.
Would appreciate anyhelp
Skyrish2us :roll:

miriam scahill

Re: CREAMERIES in COUNTY CLARE

Post by miriam scahill » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Hello and Happy New Year !! The area/townland of Binvoran is in the Parish of Kilmurray/Clonderlaw - No. 61 on 'Civil Parish' index on Genealogy page /Research Support on www.clarelibrary.ie. Some years ago I saw a posting re a creamery at TARMON - in the next parish of KILLIMER - I think the name 'STOKES' was mentioned - and I believe some of the remains of this creamery is in a farmer's yard at Tarmon, Knock, Kilrush, Co. Clare.

Skyrish2us

Post by Skyrish2us » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Happy New Year to you too!
The creamery definitely existed in Binvoran - Benvoran????
Now you have given me that lead I have found a reference in "The History of ther West Clare Creameries" by Paul Markham as follows...............

"Benvoran Creamery: Mr. W. L. Stokes of Mulgrave street, Limerick was the General Manager of the Manchester Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd from 1898 onwards. The society had a number of creameries erected in West Clare including Kilmihil (1898-1908) and Tarmon (1903-1913), Benvoran creamery was an auxiliary of the Tarmon central. Francis O'Gorman Junior ws the manager at Benvoran and the fireman was Paddy Ferguson; the building was located opposite Ferguson's home. Benvoran creamery or "Stokes Creamery" had a short existence. It may not have entered the second decade of the 1900's".

So thank you for that ............... greatly appreciated. I would still like a photo if one exists, but it is probably unlikely given it's short history. It seems that the Paddy Ferguson mentioned in the book was my great grand uncle!

These creameries are a fascinating and insightful look into Irish life. (I'm in Australia!)

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi again - I used the spelling 'Binvoran' as it is used in Griffith Vals. and Census records. It is said that 'In Clare they do not their i's from their e's !! - a pin for a pen and v.v. !! : In recent years it is spelt Benvoran. I looked at the Census of 1901 and the Ferguson family are living in the townland of Drumdigus - so diff. townland across the road. I also had a look at tel. book for Co. Clare - no Fergusons in that area - but a family a few miles away in Lissycasey. I also looked at 'Graveyard Inscriptions' for Kilmurray/McMahon graveyard and I see Mrs. Ferguson died in 1895. (these are under 'Donated Material' on Clare Library.
I recall now that a couple of years ago I gave info about creamery at Tarmon near Knock. The Manager was John O Leary who was living with Finucane family at Tarmon - which as I said is in the Parish of Killimer. (I had actually gone to school with a grand daughter of his. !!)
Paul Markham is a journalist and has a website - I think his family history site is Markhams of Derryguira ?? If there was a photo available I am sure Paul would have used it. You could put a request in local paper The Clare Champion, Ennis, Co. Clare. The remains of the creamery at Tarmon are on the farm of Richard Behan. You will have to pay a visit !!!

miriam scahill

Post by miriam scahill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:48 pm

Back again - a quick correction - The Markhams of Derryguiha is the right name - it gives a e mail add. for Paul.