Doora graveyard

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jimI

Doora graveyard

Post by jimI » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm trying to help a friend with his Howard ancestors. He has told me that the graves of some of his ancestors can be seen in Doora graveyard, near Clarecastle. But the list of inscriptions in Doora graveyard, accessible from this site, do not include any Howards.

Does anyone know why this might be? Are there still inscriptions in the graveyard which have not yet been recorded? Or are we talking about a different Doora graveyard?

I would be very grateful for any help with this.

Clare Admin

Re: Doora graveyard

Post by Clare Admin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:57 pm

We contacted The Clare Roots Society who undertook the survey and transcriptions of Old Doora Graveyard and received this reply:

‘We read all the legible stones in Old Doora (Bunnow) Graveyard. I think that we managed to get a name at least on all of them so doubtful if we missed Howard. They may mean the graveyard around the Church in Doora opposite the Shibbeen Pub although these date only from the mid-1900s I think. There was a Howard family in Knocknamana but they do not seem to have been buried in Killoo, the nearest graveyard to them. Perhaps this is the family. Obits etc appear for them in the Clare Champion Biographical Notices on the Library’s website (http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... pionh5.htm). These usually give the place of burial.”

Clare Admin