Quinlivan and Keenans....from where?

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

jquinliv

Quinlivan and Keenans....from where?

Post by jquinliv » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm trying to locate my Quinlivan and Keenan familys I just recently looked at the new file, Freeholders, and noticed the following Quinlivan's.

Quinlivan John Kiladysart Killdysart Thomas McMahon 40s Bridget Macmahon October 2, 1815 Clonderalaw

Quinlivan John Clonroadmore Clonroadmore Wm., Esq. Finucane 40s Bridget Desmond alias King Feburary 1, 1819 Islands

Kildysart connection:
I have Quailey or Quealy relatives from the town of Clonkett, parish of Kiadysart. They and the Quinlivans lived in the same household, according to 1850 US Census, North Abington, PA. Our John and Bridget Keenan Quinlvan were here first, 1845, the Quaileys came over in 1848. It would appear that that the Quinlivans 'sponsored' the Michael Quailey family. Are there baptismal or marriage records available, here on-line, for the parish of Kildysart? Another possible match, our Quinlivans settled in Forest Lake, PA with many other county Clare families around them. Right next door was the Thomas McMahon family. Is it possible that our John was renting land from his landlord, Thomas McMahon in Kildysart and that both of them ventured to the USA together? John's brother-in-law, Patrick Keenan's, wife's maiden name was Margaret McMahon!

Ennis connection:
Our GGGMothers maiden name, Keenan, has been spelled a variety of ways through the years in the states. From Canan, Keenan, Cannane, Kiernan, to Kernanne. Our family has past down that our Quinlivans/Keenans came from the town of Ennis and there might be a possible match with the John Quinlivan, of Clonroadmore Rd, Ennis, above. There are also other Quinlivans in the Ennis, area according to Griffiths 1855. There was a John,Patrick and William.

Quinlavan John Clonroad Beg: Ennis Town: Mill St Drumcliff Ennis
Quinlavan Patrick Clonroad Beg: Ennis Town: Turnpike Road Drumcliff Ennis
Quinlavan William Clonroad Beg: Ennis Town: Turnpike Road Drumcliff Ennis

Again, our John came to the USA in 1845. Could the John Quinlivan from the 1855 Griffiths be either his father/ mother or was this piece of property still in his name? Also the name William is common in our Quinlivan tree. Our Ggrandfather's name was , Michael William Quinlivan, and he named his second son, William Michael Quinlivan. The Ennis parish baptism and marriage records have a Michael and William Quinlvan with baptisms and marriages taking place in the 1840-50s. There are none for John.

Keenan or Canneen connectoins to Ennis:

Canneen Mary Tullyvoghan Kilraghtis Ennis Griffiths 1855
Canneen James Derry Templemaley Templemaley Servant 1901 Census

Finally how would I interpret my GGGMother's surname, Keenan. It's been changed numerous times as I mention above, Canan, Keenan, Cannane, Kiernan, to Kernanne. My first suggestion would be that their name was Kinnane. There were many Kinnanes and Quinlvans in the Kilfinane Parish ,Tithe Census. Kilfinane is right next to Kildysart.

I'm getting close to the end of my tree here...lol I need to find out where my Quinlivan/Keenans home town was. I would appreciate any assistance from abroad. Thanks so much. Sláinte! Fad saol agat!