Carrolls in Liscannor Parish

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Peter Carroll

Carrolls in Liscannor Parish

Post by Peter Carroll » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

Hoping to find out more about any Carrolls living in Liscannor parish during the 19th Century. I have an Edward Carroll, believed to have been born on Nov. 24th, 1824 in the parish of 'Touheran' (Liscannor), who was a sawyer by trade before leaving Ireland in April 1847 to eventually settle down in Pembrokeshire, Wales where he was a police constable. He had a brother, Michael Carroll, born around the beginning of 1833 in the same parish, who was trained as a carpenter and who followed Edward to Wales in about 1850 where, after 7 years in the 19th Foot Regiment, he also joined the Pembrokeshire Constabulary reaching the rank of sergeant. Their father was a John Carroll who was also a carpenter and, for a short while at least, a shopkeeper. According to family tradition John was originally from Co. Tipperary, but I have no proof of this.

Any information that might link the above to other Carrolls, past or present, in Clare or elsewhere, would be much appreciated.

Peter.
Last edited by Peter Carroll on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

irwinfoy

Re: Carrolls in Liscannor Parish

Post by irwinfoy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:11 am

Hi-

i have been researching my family history and have learned that my great great grandmother was from a Carroll family living in Sixmilebridge in Clare in the 1800's to present. She came from a large family, parents were John Carroll
and Catherine Maloney. Her name was Margaret Carroll, married Thomas Irwin, had a sister Catherine Carroll Cusack. They had at least 2 brothers, Thomas and Michael Carroll who emigrated to the US and ended up in Chicago and Hornell, NY and settled there and had families who still reside there. These men made their fortune in the railroad industry in upstate NY and Chicago. If you have anything else to add, feel free to let me know.

Suzan Irwin Foy