Book: The Parish of Kilkeedy - A Local History

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Paddy Casey

Book: The Parish of Kilkeedy - A Local History

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed May 09, 2007 8:50 am

The book "The Parish of Kilkeedy - a Local History" compiled by Frank Brew is essential reading for Clare historians and genealogists who are focussing on the townlands around Tubber*. The book is a paperback, 310 pages stuffed full of names, dates and photos. The individual chapters were contributed by people living in the area. It is priceless. Frank Brew had the gift of letting the people tell their stories in a kind of stream-of-consciousness manner and, in putting the book together, refrained from editing out any of the spontaneity. Every time I dip into it I discover some new nugget. The contributors have left a superb legacy and the compiler, who died in March 2005, was a genius.

A map showing the location of the parish of Kilkeedy can be seen at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rishes.htm and the map of the townlands of the parish can be seen at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... nlands.htm

The book is not obtainable through Amazon or the conventional booksellers. I have just discovered that Frank Brew's widow Nancy has a few remaining copies in mint condition. If you want one, just put €15 into an envelope and send it to Mrs Nancy Brew, Castlequarter, Tubber, Co.Clare, Ireland with your mailing address.

Paddy

* The townlands of the parish of Kilkeedy covered in this book are:
Addergoole
Attyslany North
Attyslany South
Aughrim
Ballaghaglash
Ballybornagh
Ballinlisheen
Ballyeighter
Bouleevin
Carrowcraheen
Carrownagoul
Castlequarter
Castlequarter Kilkeedy
Cloonselherny
Coolbaun
Creggaunycahill
Cross
Culleen
Cushacorra
Derreenatloghtan
Derrylumman
Derryowen
Drumnadeevna
Garrynacallaha
Kells
Kilcorkan
Killeenmacoog North
Killeenmacoog South
Kiltacky Beg
Kiltacky More
Killourney
Knockatermon
Knockroe
Kylecreen
Leitra
Lyan
Magheranraheen or Rockforest
Monreagh
Pouleenacoona
Poulmacrih
Poulroe
Poulataggle
Quakerstown
Rinacaha
Rinroe
Rockvale
Shanballysallagh
Templebannagh
Treanmanagh
Tulla
Turkenag
Turloughmore

Paddy Casey

Re: Book: The Parish of Kilkeedy - A Local History

Post by Paddy Casey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 am

Yesterday Frank Brew's widow Nancy told me that she still has a few remaining copies of this book in mint condition. If you want one, just put €15 into an envelope and send it to Mrs Nancy Brew, Castlequarter, Tubber, Co.Clare, Ireland with your mailing address.

It is pretty much The Word on the history of the parish of Kilkeedy. Anyone with ancestors from the area should have a copy.

Paddy