Daniel McNamara Eviction, 4 APR 1877, Killaloe Sessions

Genealogy, Archaeology, History, Heritage & Folklore

Moderators: Clare Support, Clare Past Mod

Jim McNamara

Daniel McNamara Eviction, 4 APR 1877, Killaloe Sessions

Post by Jim McNamara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I received a large envelope in the mail [Thanks to the Gents at NAI] with 10 pages of ejectments from the Killaloe sessions and this included my Daniel McNamara(s).
As there were two, and my greatgrandfather's marriage record has his father also as Daniel McNamara, I am uncertain whether this is the great or the great-great-grandfather or both.
One is from Coolnahilla [Coolnahella, Killuran Civil Parish, Lower Tulla Barony], the other is from Dromod [Drummod, Kilnoe Civil Parish, Upper Tulla Barony].
<START>

KILLALOE SESSION 4TH April 1877
1) For nonpayment of Rent, NP Rent £ 18/14/-, Same Due £ 18/14/-, Np to 1st Novr 1876
Part of the lands of Coolnahilla [Coolnahella] Ph Killuran & Br Lower Tulla
GOODS £ 2/1/6

Cullinan
The Right Hon John D Fitzgerald
V
Daniel McNamara

Thomas McInerney P
P J Coffee

[mins for Coffee appears to be partially erased]

POSSESSION DECREED

2) For nonpayment of Rent, Np Rent £ 13/4/-, Same due £ 13/4/-, Np to 1st Novr 1876
Part of the lands of Dromod [Drummod] Ph Kilnoe & Br Upper Tulla
GOODS £ 2/3/-

SAME
V
Daniel McNamara & James Keogh

Thomas McInerney P
[Autpp to Ennis for Coffee appears to be partially erased]

POSSESSION DECREED
<END>

Some questions for all:
1) Are the identifications below correct?
JUDGE: CULLINAN [Or is this the solicitor for owner?]
LANDOWNER: The rigth Hon John D Fitzgerald
RENTER: Daniel McNamara
CLERK: Thomas Mc Inerney P [What is suffix "P" for?]
LAND AGENT: P J COFFEE [Or another official?]
2) Does this appear to be two actions filed agains the same person? or against two persons?
3) Does the mention of GOODS with value mean that his personal property was taken and given to landlord or is it just saying that is his collateral?
4) Is there another record with additional detail recorded?
5) For the "Possession Decreed" does this mean ruling in favor of landlord, declaring his lawful ownership? or please explain.

See image below.
This is from NAI's Crown and Peace collection, Ref: 1C-68-149, sessions JUN 1876 - OCT 1880 & DEC 1870 - OCT 1877

Many thanks,
Jim McNamara
JPMTCC@yahoo.com

PS - I did pick up some information brochures at NAI and one explains the office of Clerk of the Crown and Peace. If interested, let me know and will scan that off and post here. I don't see any © on this two page document.
Attachments
Mac_Ejectment_S.jpg
Daniel McNamara Ejectment(s), Killaloe Sessions, 4 APR 1877,
Mac_Ejectment_S.jpg (266.35 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
Jim McNamara
Surnames of Interest: McNamara-McGrath, Cleary-Conway

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." -Rumi

smcarberry

Re: Daniel McNamara Eviction, 4 APR 1877, Killaloe Sessions

Post by smcarberry » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Jim,

The NAI staff did a fine job of getting that precious record to you. I did a quick search for who might be in the involved P.J. Coffee and suggest some follow-up on this fellow:

Bassett's Directory, 1880-1
Elected Guardians [Ennis Union]
Patrick J. Coffee, Esq., Waverly, Newmarket-on-Fergus
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... _union.htm

Drumcliff Cemetery
Erected by Jane Elizabeth Coffey in memory of her beloved Husband Patrick Joseph Coffey of Waverley Newmarket-On-Fergus who departed this life on the 19th. of October 1889. Fortified by the rites of the Holy Catholic Church.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclar ... rname1.htm

Best wishes for further unraveling of this,
Sharon Carberry

Jim McNamara

Re: Daniel McNamara Eviction, 4 APR 1877, Killaloe Sessions

Post by Jim McNamara » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:34 am

Thanks Sharon,

I found a bit about John David Fitzgerald on WikiPedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_FitzG ... FitzGerald
From Wikipedia artice, a bit about his carreer: "FitzGerald became a Queen's Counsel in 1847 and was judge of the Munster circuit."

And even some about his family: "In 1846, he married firstly Rose, second daughter of John O'Donohue, and had by her three sons.[7] She died in 1850 and FitzGerald remarried Hon. Jane Matilda Mary, daughter of Arthur Francis Southwell and sister of Thomas Southwell, 4th Viscount Southwell.[7] By his second wife, he had four sons and six daughters."

Much more at Wikipedia article.

All the best,
Jim McNamara
Jim McNamara
Surnames of Interest: McNamara-McGrath, Cleary-Conway

"Everyone has been made for some particular work, and the desire for that work has been put in every heart." -Rumi